Salvador WMA Hog Season Tips?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • istantinople

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I'm new to hunting (haven't done it since I was a kid) and have been doing a lot of research/preparation into the idea of doing some hog hunting in SE LA recently. I noticed that the Salvador/Timken WMA has a special non-centerfire-rifle hog season in Feb-Mar, as do some areas further out by the coast. Since all I have is a shotgun anyway, I figured it'd be a nice way to avoid the crowds during deer season.

Anybody got experience hunting hogs in Salvador/Timken? General tips for hunting hogs in the marsh? I know I'll need boat access, got that covered, but am I going to need a canoe or pirogue or something to get deeper in? Anyone know why there's a special hog season in those areas (I'm guessing it's a coastal-erosion thing)? I know I've got a lot of other work to do before I'll actually be ready to go hunting, but I figure I've got a good bit of time before February.

For anyone curious, here's what it says in the 2019-2020 regulations:
    "In addition, feral hogs may be taken on Atchafalaya Delta, Pass-a-Loutre, Pointe-aux-Chenes and Salvador/Timken WMAs from Feb. 16 - March 31 with archery gear, shotguns loaded with buckshot or slugs or rimfire rifles no larger than .22 caliber. Additional requirements may be specified under individual WMAs."

Salvador/Timken specific: "Feral Hogs: May be taken by properly licensed hunters from Oct. 1 - Feb. 29. In addition, hunters may hunt feral hogs with archery equipment, shotguns loaded with buckshot or slugs, or rimfire rifles no larger than .22 caliber from Feb. 16 - March 31. Hunters must also display 400 square inches of Hunter Orange or Blaze Pink and wear a Hunter Orange or Blaze Pink cap during special shotgun season for feral hogs."

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    My advice is to read the regs carefully. Most WMA you can only hunt feral hogs with weapons that are legal for the season in progress. Example if it's small game season you can only use .22cal or shotgun with shot size BB or smaller, no buckshot or slugs. If archery for deer is open you can use a bow, if rifle is open for deer you can use a rifle or shotgun with buckshot or slugs and so on. Also pay attention to the time you enter Salvador as I believe it is only after 4:30am. Good luck on your hunts !

istantinople

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    My advice is to read the regs carefully.

Trust me, I have been. There is an special exception for hogs (using shotguns/rimfire/archery) from Feb 16 - Mar 31 in four specific WMAs, of which Salvador/Timken is one. It's very plainly laid out in the sections I quoted above. I'll contact LDWF to confirm before attempting to hunt, but I'm very sure what I'm asking about doing is in line with the 2019-2020 regulations.

istantinople

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Place is filthy with skunk apes...
    I'm assuming we're talking about gators, I was afraid that'd be a problem. I was hoping maybe that the cold weather in Feb - early March might help with that? Is that a thing? Theyre cold blooded after all, I've read they slow down and eat less if it's below 70.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm assuming we're talking about gators, I was afraid that'd be a problem. I was hoping maybe that the cold weather in Feb - early March might help with that? Is that a thing? Theyre cold blooded after all, I've read they slow down and eat less if it's below 70.

Ha,Don't believe everything you've ''read'' I've seen them swimming around in 38 degree water....and looking for food.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom