Internet Provider

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Currently I am with Cox as my internet provider. Of course they keep going up in cost so I am looking for other options. Let me hear what others are using for internet access.

Thanks

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Currently I am with Cox as my internet provider. Of course they keep going up in cost so I am looking for other options. Let me hear what others are using for internet access.

Thanks

We just moved and Cox is the provider in that area. We called about Internet and about died when being told the prices. Gonna call ATT next to see what they offer.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I really can't wait until SpaceX gets their LEO Internet satelllites up and running so that I can ditch my ISP and get Space Internet. When this happens all of the cable companies will have a **** because we will not be reliant on having some incumbent ISP run cable to our house. I had to fight for 6 to 8 months to even get Charter to admit they serviced my house when we built it. Unfortunately being in a rural part of the state limits me to one provider right now although I called and threatened to cut my service so they gave me promo pricing again.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

Thanks

Call and threaten to cancel unless they cut the price down. Tell them you’re gonna switch to whoever else is in the area because those people offered you the same **** at _____ dollars. Do this once a year every time your prices start to go up.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Call and threaten to cancel unless they cut the price down. Tell them you’re gonna switch to whoever else is in the area because those people offered you the same **** at _____ dollars. Do this once a year every time your prices start to go up.

This is what I do when my yearly Cox agreement is about to expire. When I tell them I'm going to cancel the whole bundle ( TV, phone, internet, and security) they quickly come up w. a "special" offer, matching or less than my current cost.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Call and threaten to cancel unless they cut the price down.
    This is what I ended up doing and got a $23 a month discount. We really don't have much of choice but to stay with our current carrier as all of our emails are Cox emails. If you change emails that can turn into another cluster trying get all that straight with all of the account tied to that email.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    As an I.T. guy, I can't tell you how many people I know that ask this question. In my years of experience I have questioned both AT&T and COX and researched their capabilities. One of my favorite things to do is ask questions to the AT&T "snatch and grab" people in Wal-Mart trying to stop you and get you to sign up. How many people I know that have dumped AT&T to return to Cox is staggering also... to the point that it is almost the norm. I've also talked to AT&T installers that have said their sales people on the phone will "TELL YOU ANYTHING TO GET YOU TO SIGN UP". Just recently I had someone sign up for a year for one rate... then called to cancel approaching the end of the year agreement. They told them they would give them the trial "Deal" again if they re-signed... so they did with ONLY INTERNET. They then told them they would need to send someone out and replace the modem... the guy came out... said the modem didn't need to be replaced, but had to run another cable to the pole. Then they got a notice in the mail to return the cable box AND MODEM! Then, when they got the bill, it was two times more than agreed upon.

I have Cox... Internet only. No phone, no television. I have streamed everything for years. I pay $90 a month and get speeds upwards of 120-180 Mbps (Even though Cox and AT&T both advertise 300... though its not going to happen unless you're wired and with Wifi, moving just a few feet away can make a difference in speed). You have to consider mirrors, walls, windows... in your path to your router... all degrade signals (as do LCD Televisions).

Just remember, your (Cable) Modem is and always will be the FASTEST network device... So make sure it is the latest and greatest that works with your providers technology in your area. If you connect an old router to a high-speed Gigabit (300Mbps) Cable modem... you may only get 6 - 10 Mbps out of it. Or if you connect an old 10Mbps switch to your router instead of 10/100/1000 Gigabit... and so on. Both offer 1TB of data transfer... and even streaming pretty constant, I never even hit 20.

What you're connecting to it matters also... a laptop from 10 years ago may not have the internet network capability to connect to the higher protocols and get the higher speeds. I have an older laptop (about 8 years old) that can't get any higher Wifi than 4Mbps (give or take) regardless... Yet a newer laptop (less than 3 years) can reach speeds of 150+. I know AT&T's modem/router is pretty quick on NEWER technology devices... but then so is Cox or anything should be if you keep up with the technology.

I have a Gigabit Wireless Router with high gain antennas... along with the latest Cable Modem Cox recommended. I MIGHT lose internet two to three times a year for 20 - 30 minutes (not counting a storm where something may have caused damage to equipment) due to Cox working on something. Most issues are resolved with a phone call and no one comes out.

This isn't a promotion for Cox... but I have drilled both... and stayed with Cox. Does it go up periodically? Of course... but I am not locked into an annual contract either.

With either service... your internet is only as good as the equipment on your side of it. Sorry for the long winded post... I hope it helps someone. Have a great day! :)

P.S. I've heard rumors that AT&T is going to start offering a Streaming "Stick" (similar to the FireStick) that would only be $50 a month. Not sure of the specifications or if they would allow loading of outside apps... but it would be kindof cool.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom