Benjamin 342 ok for varmints?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    That would be a fair price for a 342 in nice shape that pumps up, hold air at least for a while, and shoots hard (buries pellet in pine board). Vintage Benjamins have lead seals, and are hard to work on, need special tools, or pay about $75 for a reseal job. A .22 pellet at 650 fps should be good for squirrels and rabbits, and maybe bigger stuff with a good headshot.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    That would be a fair price for a 342 in nice shape that pumps up, hold air at least for a while, and shoots hard (buries pellet in pine board). Vintage Benjamins have lead seals, and are hard to work on, need special tools, or pay about $75 for a reseal job. A .22 pellet at 650 fps should be good for squirrels and rabbits, and maybe bigger stuff with a good headshot.

Thanks for input - I don't think he ever shot it so I'm guessing lead seals should be ok. I'll ask to shoot it first.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Those are pretty accurate shooters.. there's a guy online who rebuilds them and beefs them up to last. Does trigger work and puts on better sights as well.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    And yeah.. its good for rats, squirrel, house sparrows, starlings, etc.. and headshots on rabbits. Ive taken many with a similar air rifle

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I wanted to add.. if you do buy it.. keep it stored with 1 pump. The guy that works on them recommends they be stored kept this way when not in use. Keeps the seals from going bad.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Those are pretty accurate shooters.. there's a guy online who rebuilds them and beefs them up to last. Does trigger work and puts on better sights as well.

Are you referring to Air Gun Repair Service in Gonzales? If not, whose work are you familiar with?

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Thanks a bunch for all the info. I have an old Sheridan that I bought used as a kid and have a grandson who will need it soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom