Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ed

User Info Menu

Benjamin 342 ok for varmints?

I'm in the market for a varmint control air rifle and an old fella near me has a mint - maybe unfired - Benjamin 342 in 22 caliber for $125. Is that ballpark reasonable?
    Thanks,
    Ed
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21
    "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword [weapon], sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Marksman

User Info Menu

That would be a fair price for a 342 in nice shape that pumps up, hold air at least for a while, and shoots hard (buries pellet in pine board). Vintage Benjamins have lead seals, and are hard to work on, need special tools, or pay about $75 for a reseal job. A .22 pellet at 650 fps should be good for squirrels and rabbits, and maybe bigger stuff with a good headshot.

Ed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tallguy606 View Post
    That would be a fair price for a 342 in nice shape that pumps up, hold air at least for a while, and shoots hard (buries pellet in pine board). Vintage Benjamins have lead seals, and are hard to work on, need special tools, or pay about $75 for a reseal job. A .22 pellet at 650 fps should be good for squirrels and rabbits, and maybe bigger stuff with a good headshot.
    Thanks for input - I don't think he ever shot it so I'm guessing lead seals should be ok. I'll ask to shoot it first.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21
    "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword [weapon], sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Marksman

User Info Menu

Those are pretty accurate shooters.. there's a guy online who rebuilds them and beefs them up to last. Does trigger work and puts on better sights as well.
    David

Marksman

User Info Menu

And yeah.. its good for rats, squirrel, house sparrows, starlings, etc.. and headshots on rabbits. Ive taken many with a similar air rifle
    David

Ed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    And yeah.. its good for rats, squirrel, house sparrows, starlings, etc.. and headshots on rabbits. Ive taken many with a similar air rifle
    Thanks, David.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I wanted to add.. if you do buy it.. keep it stored with 1 pump. The guy that works on them recommends they be stored kept this way when not in use. Keeps the seals from going bad.
    David

Ed

User Info Menu

I wanted to add.. if you do buy it.. keep it stored with 1 pump. The guy that works on them recommends they be stored kept this way when not in use. Keeps the seals from going bad.
    Sounds like good advise - thanks.

Oldie

User Info Menu

Sorry for double post
    Last edited by cyclone1970; August 16th, 2019 at 05:44 PM.

Oldie

User Info Menu

Those are pretty accurate shooters.. there's a guy online who rebuilds them and beefs them up to last. Does trigger work and puts on better sights as well.
    Are you referring to Air Gun Repair Service in Gonzales? If not, whose work are you familiar with?
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." T. Roosevelt