Benjamin 342 ok for varmints?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    That would be a fair price for a 342 in nice shape that pumps up, hold air at least for a while, and shoots hard (buries pellet in pine board). Vintage Benjamins have lead seals, and are hard to work on, need special tools, or pay about $75 for a reseal job. A .22 pellet at 650 fps should be good for squirrels and rabbits, and maybe bigger stuff with a good headshot.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    That would be a fair price for a 342 in nice shape that pumps up, hold air at least for a while, and shoots hard (buries pellet in pine board). Vintage Benjamins have lead seals, and are hard to work on, need special tools, or pay about $75 for a reseal job. A .22 pellet at 650 fps should be good for squirrels and rabbits, and maybe bigger stuff with a good headshot.

Thanks for input - I don't think he ever shot it so I'm guessing lead seals should be ok. I'll ask to shoot it first.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Those are pretty accurate shooters.. there's a guy online who rebuilds them and beefs them up to last. Does trigger work and puts on better sights as well.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    And yeah.. its good for rats, squirrel, house sparrows, starlings, etc.. and headshots on rabbits. Ive taken many with a similar air rifle

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I wanted to add.. if you do buy it.. keep it stored with 1 pump. The guy that works on them recommends they be stored kept this way when not in use. Keeps the seals from going bad.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Thanks a bunch for all the info. I have an old Sheridan that I bought used as a kid and have a grandson who will need it soon enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom