Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Water heaters

Pops

User Info Menu

Water heaters

Well itís happened. My water heater, which of course was installed in my attic, started to leak. Iím looking for options and opinions on tankless water heaters. If anyone has one, let me hear some pros and cons.
    Thanks.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I rented a place with one while my house was being rebuilt. I loved the endless hot water. You need either a clean source of water or a good filter. My service guy swears he won’t have one because they easily develop issues if the water has a lot of sediment or minerals.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My sister has one in their house and I donít notice much of a difference as far as temp. It might take a little longer to get the hot water to you but Iíd be happy to not have to mess with a tank. The heater today are junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

enthusiast

User Info Menu

I replaced mine last year. With the newer version of the same heater, looks almost exactly the same. Works, I don’t have issues with running out of hot water though, and I want to say the unit was over 10 years old and was making a clunking noise from time to time so I replaced it.
    Stephen

All or nothing

User Info Menu

I considered the tankless but after talking to a few previous owners and doing some research I just went back to the same style big ass heater I was removing. Every person I talked to including a local plumber told me they go cold faster than a big tank type. Gas over electric when you can.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct itóóó
    Bangswitch

Blissfully Ignorant

User Info Menu

I just had to replace my gas water heater. I went back and forth but decided to go with the familiar tank. I did the math and figured it would take too long to recoup the cost v.s. the monthly gas savings.

Both the old tank and new tank were/are 50gal. With a family of 7 we have never run out of hot water.
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh...

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have a total electric house. When a water heater went out, I looked into a tankless. I was told they they take so much electricity that I would have to have another circuit run to the water heater. With the extra cost of an electrician, I decided to go back with a conventional water heater. I have two in my house, one for the two bathrooms and one for the kitchen and laundry.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I considered the tankless but after talking to a few previous owners and doing some research I just went back to the same style big ass heater I was removing. Every person I talked to including a local plumber told me they go cold faster than a big tank type. Gas over electric when you can.
    From what my service manager says that’s a symptom of scaling causing valves in them.o to stay open.

Marksman

User Info Menu

A whole house electric tankless provides 6GPM, draws about 36kW, and requires up to 4 x 40A circuits. This usually requires a subpanel to be installed. Lots of people install a small one under the kitchen sink, but a whole house is a large investment.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Pe...X-36/300800822

Marksman

User Info Menu

Replaced my attic gas fired water heater (tank type)earlier this year, like in kind.

Rented a manual lift from Home Depot. My 20 y/o son helped me by cranking the lift while I worked from the attic. Wasnít a bad job. Just be sure to drain the tank completely before you get started. Empty 50 gallon tank is small enough to bear hug and move around...at least for me, it was. I also got creative with some choker slings and used those to help me get a better grip.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk