Honey island

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    HI is dangerous. There’s too much going on at all times and there’s not enough RSO’s to keep everything under control. The unsafe gun handling is rampant and when it’s brought to the attention of the RSO’s they don’t do too much about it. The inspections at the sign in table are also dangerous.

Just think how dangerous it would be if they allowed drawing from a holster and FA on the rifle line?

If you go, bring a buddy who knows how to apply a tourniquet and basic first aid.

I'm curious what you find dangerous about the inspections at the check in station. All muzzles should be pointed in a safe direction.

As for carrying a 1911 with the safety off in a Fobus Holster, . . . , I wonder how you even made that observation, unless it was an ambi safety.
    Even in that case, it is no more unsafe than carrying a Glock with the safety off and a round in the chamber.
    The holster was covering the trigger. Perfectly safe.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'm curious what you find dangerous about the inspections at the check in station. All muzzles should be pointed in a safe direction.

As for carrying a 1911 with the safety off in a Fobus Holster, . . . , I wonder how you even made that observation, unless it was an ambi safety.
    Even in that case, it is no more unsafe than carrying a Glock with the safety off and a round in the chamber.

I’ve been swept a few times waiting to get signed in there.

I did not mention anything about a 1911 being carried in a fobus holster. I was referring to being able to draw from the holster on the line. If that was allowed there I’m sure there would be holes in places that there shouldn’t be.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I have been shooting at HI for 3 decades and haven’t had or seen any issues regarding safety. Most people look after the young or inexperienced shooter they bring. RO’s help as well. IMO they can be over helpful with their advice and critiques of your personal shooting form or practices. But all it takes is a simple *thank you, but I got this*.

I’ve heard bashing of this place and the RO’s for a long time and feel it’s unwarranted. They want everyone to be safe! They may use less than polite manners to do such, but swallow your pride and admit if you were being stupid or complacent. They’re just doing their job.

And what’s the deal with people complaining about others banging the steel, mag dumps, or loud compensators? I’ve been there trying to get an accurate group and pulled a shot due to the .338 Lapua being touched off next to me. I don’t bitch, call the guy an *******, or get up and leave while making a scene. Just load up 5 more rounds and try again. Maybe wait till the other shooter is reloading or not shooting for whatever reason.
    I’ve also been the guy with multiple very loud guns mag dumping and banging steel while the guy next to me is sighting in 10 different scoped rifles.

The issue is the entitled shooters who feel everyone on the range has to cater to their version of the passion we all enjoy.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Left handed...

The difference between a Glock and a 1911 with no safety is that the Glock is not under spring tension and capable of firing without pulling the trigger.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have been shooting at HI for 3 decades and haven’t had or seen any issues regarding safety. Most people look after the young or inexperienced shooter they bring. RO’s help as well. IMO they can be over helpful with their advice and critiques of your personal shooting form or practices. But all it takes is a simple *thank you, but I got this*.

I’ve heard bashing of this place and the RO’s for a long time and feel it’s unwarranted. They want everyone to be safe! They may use less than polite manners to do such, but swallow your pride and admit if you were being stupid or complacent. They’re just doing their job.

And what’s the deal with people complaining about others banging the steel, mag dumps, or loud compensators? I’ve been there trying to get an accurate group and pulled a shot due to the .338 Lapua being touched off next to me. I don’t bitch, call the guy an *******, or get up and leave while making a scene. Just load up 5 more rounds and try again. Maybe wait till the other shooter is reloading or not shooting for whatever reason.
    I’ve also been the guy with multiple very loud guns mag dumping and banging steel while the guy next to me is sighting in 10 different scoped rifles.

The issue is the entitled shooters who feel everyone on the range has to cater to their version of the passion we all enjoy.

I would prefer if the RO’s were pricks.

I want the RO’s paying attention to the poor gun handling by the other shooters and addressing it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

This 1911 w/o safety and a Glock comparison is a joke right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    This 1911 w/o safety and a Glock comparison is a joke right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure it is. We all know that pistols go off by themselves all the time, right.

Just to be sure, I put a 1911 on my dresser last night, with a round in the chamber, hammer back, and safety disengaged. When I woke up, my two cats, the neighbor, and my pickup truck had all been shot.:eek4:
    No more Wilson 10 round magazines for THAT pistol.

Seriously. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and you'll be just fine. If the holster is covering the trigger, then that 1911 is no more a threat than a Glock.

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Hello all,

My name is Chris Daniel and I am a Range Safety Officer, Officer Instructor and member of the Board for the non-profit organization that runs the range for the State.

I usually try to scan this forum semi-often and offer my thanks and advice for anyone visiting our range but I've slacked off and it's been a while.

I'd like to take a minute to respond to some of the replies in this thread.

My thoughts on Honey Island are all positive. The staff were nice, the layout was simple and we did not feel uncomfortable at any given time. The plinker plates were fun and the ability to shoot rifles or handguns at either designated rifle or handgun lines was easy. My son enjoyed it thoroughly as well did I and we will be returning as
    we were super excited to be able to shoot outside rather than the normal indoor ranges.
    I do want to check out the MCTA location that was mentioned as well. From the internet description it looks like a location to shoot more tactically....big boy stuff, and I will certainly give that a shot too. all pun intended.

Thank you so much for your kind words. We strive to offer a fun and safe experience for our shooters.

Honey Island was a fantastic place to shoot when I lived in Slidell. Very well supervised. No Fudds. Wanna shoot full auto ? No problem. They will not try to check your papers.. it ain't their problem. Just follow the rules of firearm safety and range commands, and you'll have a great time .

Not sure what big boy rules are.

Well said. Thank you!

Big Boy rules..... No range officer watching over your shoulder like an instructor. stay in communication with the others shooting around you and you common sense. I personally haven't found an individual there yet that wasn't a laid back guy and willing to help if you ask politely.

Thank you. We're all willing to help to the best of our abilities however, presiding over the safety of the range is most important. Sometimes we can't stop to help, especially when the lines are crowded and that might be mistaken as being a Fudd or rude but safety is our primary objective.

Did they change the rules? Last time I went there a few years ago they were inspecting everyone’s weapons prior to going on the range.

and did not allow full auto or draw from holster with pistol.

and the continuous seize fire on the ranges got old pretty quick.

thing I like about MCtA is if you’re a paid member for the year you can shoot 24/7 during the week.

which means you basically have the range to yourself if no ones there.

We still check/clear all firearms that come thru the gate.

We DO allow full auto, however only at our 25yd line pistol range in order to ensure all rounds impact the berm.

We DO NOT allow drawing from a holster as that is a State requirement for public ranges.

At Honey Island, full auto is allowed. It is, however, limited to the pistol line.

There is an interstate highway beyond the berm of the rifle line, and it would be too easy to shoot over the berm in full auto rates of fire.
    It is much safer on the 25 yard pistol line.

Personally, If I'm going to be shooting around people I don't know, I like the idea of a trained range safety officer watching over things.

I'll stick with Honey Island, but I would like to visit MCTA. It might be a great alternative when Honey Island is under water.

Problem is, MCTA is in Mississippi, and I'd need permission to bring NFA toys across state lines.

Thank you for your kind words.

A range officer is very important at a range .. I understand it may be a bit of a pain at times (cease fires, range commands, enforcing rules, etc,) but when I'm downrange messing with a target it's very good to know there's someone at other end watching over the firing line. I've had someone load and start aiming with people downrange at an unsupervised range.. it was scary.

There's been jackasses at the range and I was glad there were range officers there to deal with them.

But yeah I do understand how being at a range with ROs can seem like a hassle ..especially when theres a handful of people who all know each other.

Once again, safety is our #1 priority. Thanks!

HI is dangerous. There’s too much going on at all times and there’s not enough RSO’s to keep everything under control. The unsafe gun handling is rampant and when it’s brought to the attention of the RSO’s they don’t do too much about it. The inspections at the sign in table are also dangerous.

I'd beg to differ with all you said. Our range does get busy however we always have AT LEAST 5 officers on duty at all times. 1 at the desk, 2 at pistol and 2 on rifle/shotgun. We usually have enough officers to add another presence on the rifle line.

While I do occasionally see someone with poor muzzle control and address it, it's definitely not as rampant as you describe it. I can vouch for the rest of our people that if it's seen by an officer it will be addressed. We don't like to be muzzle swept either!

As for the check in inspections, how are they dangerous? We only inspect firearms with their muzzles all pointed west(to your left if you're a customer standing at our check in desk) which is away from ANYONE on range property. I don't see any way that could be considered dangerous.

Interesting, as I've been to Honey Island on a consistent basis for the past 17years and my experience is the complete opposite of yours, in fact, it's the only range I actually feel safe at.

Thank you! We appreciate your patronage and support. If you're a frequent visitor may I suggest looking into an annual pass.

I've shot full auto at Honey island. They only let me do it on the pistol range. The ceasefire doesn't bother me, as there is a lot of people there at one time, and it allows for a SAFE period for you to make it down range to change targets etc. If you don't want that, a private range, or members only range like st bernard outdoor are the best option but not accessible to everyone.

Thank you for the kind words.

We typically try to do ceasefires every 20-30 minutes. We find people like to check or change their targets in that time frame. Sometimes we go a little faster if we get several new shooters at once. Sometimes we even go longer.

The range officers were pleasant to deal with and I personally appreciated their presence.
    Always better to br safe than part of a mistake.

Thank you!

I’ve been swept a few times waiting to get signed in there.

I highly doubt you've been swept at our check in station. We don't have seating in an area that would put you in the direction of the muzzles while we're checking them. As stated above, we have a certain direction that all firearms are pointed when checking them.

Thank you for your kind words.

Again, safety is our priority!

Mag dumps are no longer allowed (except for full auto fire at the pistol line). 3 round bursts are what we try to limit fast shooters too. It's at the discretion of the officer if he wishes to allow dumps or more rapid fire shooting if the range isn't crowded.

Honey Island has the most shooters per year for any state-owned range in Louisiana. We have over 150 men and women in our organization, all of whom strive to offer a safe and enjoyable experience. We help when we can and offer advice if we are knowledgeable on the subject. Come out and see us. We'd be glad to have you!

-Chris Daniel
    RSO #388

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    Thank you Mr.Daniel!

I've been to many shooting ranges since moving to Southern Louisiana.
    Honey Island is the only one I go back to.
    Consistency with staff and regulations make it easy to know what to do and what not to do. I've never been turned down when asking for assistance. It's affordable. AND you can do it all at the same location (Skeet, 100yd Rifle range, 25yd Pistol range, a dedicated 22 only plinking section, and a knockdown pistol target section) If you like shooting steel this is a very fun facility.

Only thing is, there can be a bit of a wait if you come during peek hours. Easy fix. Come early.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Wow, thanks Mr Chris Daniels for a very thorough response to the many statements and opinions. My son and I are still newbies considering the experience that a lot of other patrons have at Honey Island, but we enjoy and will continue to go there and shoot.
    Much appreciation to you sir and all the other range officers for the effort, kindness, and keeping an open eye while we are out there.

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Thank you Mr.Daniel!

I've been to many shooting ranges since moving to Southern Louisiana.
    Honey Island is the only one I go back to.
    Consistency with staff and regulations make it easy to know what to do and what not to do. I've never been turned down when asking for assistance. It's affordable. AND you can do it all at the same location (Skeet, 100yd Rifle range, 25yd Pistol range, a dedicated 22 only plinking section, and a knockdown pistol target section) If you like shooting steel this is a very fun facility.

Only thing is, there can be a bit of a wait if you come during peek hours. Easy fix. Come early.

We have shooters that come out with multiple wagons or carts loaded with guns and ammo and spend the entire day out there with us. Especially those who come from further distances and can't get out as often to shoot. So they bring it all and make a day of it. You can stay the entire time we're open, all day, for just $6 if you wished to do that. Makes us one hell of a value, if you ask me!

Consistency amongst our officers is definitely something we teach. We want our customers to know that the range will be run the same way every time they visit no matter who's giving the commands behind the mic that day. As officers, using the same commands and instructions every day is just one small way we can ensure that.

Also, we have a very detailed set of Standard Operating Procedures for the range that is basically a question and answer set of instructions on every possible situation we can think of that might come up. It's readily available at the check in desk for all officers to refer to should he or she need to. Obviously there's not enough paper in the world to have an SOP for every possible situation that could happen at a range so we give our officers discretion and hope that our training and instruction helps them make the correct decisions when dealing with those types of situations.

Again, it all boils down to customer and officer safety. We want everyone coming to our range, including ourselves, to go home with the same #of holes in their bodies that they walked in with!

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Wow, thanks Mr Chris Daniels for a very thorough response to the many statements and opinions. My son and I are still newbies considering the experience that a lot of other patrons have at Honey Island, but we enjoy and will continue to go there and shoot.
    Much appreciation to you sir and all the other range officers for the effort, kindness, and keeping an open eye while we are out there.

Thank you for your patronage. Please don't hesitate to talk to one of our officers if there's ever any question or concerns while you're out there with us.

lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    MCTA Range Info

Here is some information on the MCTA Range https://www.mctarange.com

Directions:

From the I-10 / I-59 exchange in Slidell
    Drive 11.4 miles on I-59 to Mississippi exit 1 (MS-607)
    Turn Right
    Drive 3.7 miles on Mississippi 607
    Turn Left
    Drive 2.9 miles on Texas Flat Road
    Turn Left
    Drive 1.0 miles on Flat Top Road
    There will be a curve in the road; The range entrance is in the curve on the left.

Fees:
    $10 / day (Friday - Sunday) (Daily Customers)
    Members: $300/year $160/6 months
    Veterans: $250/Year

Rules:

Daily Customers:
    Firing Line use only
    No drawing from Holsters
    No tower usage

Annual and 6 month Customers
    Full use of the ranges (24/7/365)
    Big Boy Rules (OK if safe)
    270 degree use of ranges
    Target Boards at the end of the ranges
    Barrels available for barricades
    Some (pathetic) target frames are available.
    Use of the 300 yard (steel) range and tower 015-MCTA-RANGE.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom