Honey island

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Me and my son are going to Honey Island shooting range tomorrow and have never been before. Any input on recent experience there? I will post something about it after we get home.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    My thoughts on Honey Island are all positive. The staff were nice, the layout was simple and we did not feel uncomfortable at any given time. The plinker plates were fun and the ability to shoot rifles or handguns at either designated rifle or handgun lines was easy. My son enjoyed it thoroughly as well did I and we will be returning as
    we were super excited to be able to shoot outside rather than the normal indoor ranges.
    I do want to check out the MCTA location that was mentioned as well. From the internet description it looks like a location to shoot more tactically....big boy stuff, and I will certainly give that a shot too. all pun intended.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I enjoyed honey Island almost every time I’ve come. Yes it’s mostly bench rest shooting, but I knew that going in. I’ve also had an opportunity to take a more tactical class but you go through a lot more ammo and the class can be pricey. Not something many of us can afford to do often.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Honey Island was a fantastic place to shoot when I lived in Slidell. Very well supervised. No Fudds. Wanna shoot full auto ? No problem. They will not try to check your papers.. it ain't their problem. Just follow the rules of firearm safety and range commands, and you'll have a great time .

Not sure what big boy rules are.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Honey Island was a fantastic place to shoot when I lived in Slidell. Very well supervised. No Fudds. Wanna shoot full auto ? No problem. They will not try to check your papers.. it ain't their problem. Just follow the rules of firearm safety and range commands, and you'll have a great time .

Not sure what big boy rules are.

Big Boy rules..... No range officer watching over your shoulder like an instructor. stay in communication with the others shooting around you and you common sense. I personally haven't found an individual there yet that wasn't a laid back guy and willing to help if you ask politely.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Does MCTA allow .50bmg? How many yards for rifle?

Last time I saw it was,asked 50 was ok.
    But it is a,100 yard range
    BTW. I keep seeing guys,ask so will put in my thoughts.
    The RO Are ok guys unless your are an idiot.
    How, else should they be?
    1 or 2 of the RO are members here

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Did they change the rules? Last time I went there a few years ago they were inspecting everyone’s weapons prior to going on the range.

and did not allow full auto or draw from holster with pistol.

and the continuous seize fire on the ranges got old pretty quick.

thing I like about MCtA is if you’re a paid member for the year you can shoot 24/7 during the week.

which means you basically have the range to yourself if no ones there.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Did they change the rules? Last time I went there a few years ago they were inspecting everyone’s weapons prior to going on the range.

thing I like about MCtA is if you’re a paid member for the year you can shoot 24/7 during the week.

At Honey Island, full auto is allowed. It is, however, limited to the pistol line.

There is an interstate highway beyond the berm of the rifle line, and it would be too easy to shoot over the berm in full auto rates of fire.
    It is much safer on the 25 yard pistol line.

Personally, If I'm going to be shooting around people I don't know, I like the idea of a trained range safety officer watching over things.

I'll stick with Honey Island, but I would like to visit MCTA. It might be a great alternative when Honey Island is under water.

Problem is, MCTA is in Mississippi, and I'd need permission to bring NFA toys across state lines.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    A range officer is very important at a range .. I understand it may be a bit of a pain at times (cease fires, range commands, enforcing rules, etc,) but when I'm downrange messing with a target it's very good to know there's someone at other end watching over the firing line. I've had someone load and start aiming with people downrange at an unsupervised range.. it was scary.

There's been jackasses at the range and I was glad there were range officers there to deal with them.

But yeah I do understand how being at a range with ROs can seem like a hassle ..especially when theres a handful of people who all know each other.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    HI is dangerous. There’s too much going on at all times and there’s not enough RSO’s to keep everything under control. The unsafe gun handling is rampant and when it’s brought to the attention of the RSO’s they don’t do too much about it. The inspections at the sign in table are also dangerous.

Just think how dangerous it would be if they allowed drawing from a holster and FA on the rifle line?

If you go, bring a buddy who knows how to apply a tourniquet and basic first aid.

extra300

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Metairie
    HI is dangerous. There’s too much going on at all times and there’s not enough RSO’s to keep everything under control. The unsafe gun handling is rampant and when it’s brought to the attention of the RSO’s they don’t do too much about it. The inspections at the sign in table are also dangerous.

Just think how dangerous it would be if they allowed drawing from a holster and FA on the rifle line?

If you go, bring a buddy who knows how to apply a tourniquet and basic first aid.

Interesting, as I've been to Honey Island on a consistent basis for the past 17years and my experience is the complete opposite of yours, in fact, it's the only range I actually feel safe at.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’ve been there many times.

The RSO’s are hit or miss. I’ve been flagged by more people than I’d like to admit. One RSO was carrying a 1911 cocked with the safety off in a cheap Fobus type holster. The pistol line isn’t so bad, but the rifle line is a mess. I go to sight in a rifle, but you will have some goofball next to you mag dumping his rifle at the 100 yard steel.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

I've shot full auto at Honey island. They only let me do it on the pistol range. The ceasefire doesn't bother me, as there is a lot of people there at one time, and it allows for a SAFE period for you to make it down range to change targets etc. If you don't want that, a private range, or members only range like st bernard outdoor are the best option but not accessible to everyone.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    The range officers were pleasant to deal with and I personally appreciated their presence.
    Always better to br safe than part of a mistake.

Top Bottom