24 Pounds of Fun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Well I missed Christmas in July.
    But pulled one of my Turkey's out the freezer. Cooked some side yesterday. Just a,potatoe casserole and dirty rice.
    Should be done at 4pm or so.
    Some is soon to be frozen and back in freezer again and as,Soup.

Attachments

• 20190820_130358.jpg
      20190820_130358.jpg
      205.4 KB · Views: 110
    Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well I missed Christmas in July.
    But pulled one of my Turkey's out the freezer. Cooked some side yesterday. Just a,potatoe casserole and dirty rice.
    Should be done at 4pm or so.
    Some is soon to be frozen and back in freezer again and as,Soup.

Soup? I think you mean gumbo.

Also, why isn't the skin coated in seasonings? You do live in Louisiana, right?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That was on there from basting. It was clean when the door was shut.
    There will be some put up in foodsaver bags for Turkey Noodle Soup as well as Gumbo.
    There is just 3 of us so there will even be some for a sandwich or 2. Ok lots left over.

Attachments

• 20190820_165815.jpg
      20190820_165815.jpg
      233.2 KB · Views: 110
    Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    From the title I pictured 2 wet coons in a rucksack. That’s big fun.

- - - Updated - - -

From the title I pictured 2 wet coons in a rucksack. That’s big fun.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've never cooked a turkey in the oven. What method do y'all use? My parents owned restaurants most of our lives, so they would go to the restaurant and throw a couple turkeys into the commercial deep fryer, and bring it home already cooked/seasoned. Now they retired.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've never cooked a turkey in the oven. What method do y'all use? My parents owned restaurants most of our lives, so they would go to the restaurant and throw a couple turkeys into the commercial deep fryer, and bring it home already cooked/seasoned. Now they retired.

Step one:
    Tony's Injectable Marinade + Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a bowl. Mix this with extra tony's seasoning, and whatever spices you fancy. Use an injector and inject this all throughout the turkey. I use one bottle per 10lbs.

Step two:
    Cut up onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and whatever veggies you fancy. Season these up with seasoning and a bit of olive oil. Stuff these inside the of the bird. Physically push a bunch in there.

Step three:
    Wipe down the outside of the bird with fresh butter and then coat it in seasoning.

I throw a bunch of garlic and the veggie blend around the turkey in a big baking tray as well.

Cover it in foil and bake till cooked through. Take the foil off for the last 30 minutes.

The veggies on the inside of the bird will cook down and evaporate and steam it from the inside. The oil, butter, and seasoning blend that is injected inside basically boils and keeps the insides of the meat tender, juicy, and falling apart.

When it's done, it comes out where you can use a spoon and pull all of the meat off of the bones. It also makes a pretty nice gravy that it's swimming in at the end of it. All of the veggies can then be served with the bird.

Pro tip: Save the bones and whatever fatty pieces you don't eat. Throw those in an Instapot with a bunch of extra veggies, garlic, and seasoning + water. Cook down for an hour and a half to two hours at high pressure. Strain and use this broth for gumbos.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom