Who does nitriding in southeast Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    Got a CZ 455 barreled action id like to get nitrited. Catches hell in thickets slung over my shoulder during hunting season. Always wanted to get something nitrided just to try it for myself. Know it can be pricey.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Not local but one of the best finishes is at
    shuff's parkerizing.
    I have seen the work they do and it is great
    Not sure if they also do the black like used on later CZ53 and Greek M1 Garands
    That stuff is tuff after some coats of oil.

Last edited:

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not local but one of the best finishes if at
    shuff's parkerizing.
    Not sure if they also do the black like used on later CZ53 and Greek M1 Garands
    That stuff is tuff after some coats of oil.

That’s not “nitriding” which actually is ferritic Nitrocarburization or Salt Bath Nitrocarburization or Meloniting or QPQ or Tuftride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    If you decide you want to send it off, I know of a company that's highly rated for firearm nitriding. You're already aware you're going to have to take the barrel off? It's just a clamp-in barrel.

Regardless of whom you use, the process can result in 1 to 2% warping.

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks for the replies.

That much warping might not matter if I can get the gun to group well at 35 yards. Can stress relieving be done after it’s treated?

If you decide you want to send it off, I know of a company that's highly rated for firearm nitriding. You're already aware you're going to have to take the barrel off? It's just a clamp-in barrel.

Regardless of whom you use, the process can result in 1 to 2% warping.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    One study on cryogenic stress relieving showed decreased accuracy in some barrels, no change in some and a slight accuracy increase in some.

Some people think stress relieving makes a huge difference but test indicated otherwise. I think there's a number of factors that are being over looked but that's another story

For a 22lr and the accuracy you want to get out of it, accuracy isn't going to be a huge factor.

Something you may want to consider is the set-up cost. I think it's usually around $200 and maybe $45/barrel. So it's only worth it if you're going to make a big run on barrels.

Let me check and see if this place has a set-up charge. The company that does the nitriding comes highly recommend by a well regarded gunsmith. He has no financial connection to the company other than using their services.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have 2 defiance actions that are nitride. Tough finish and slicks up the action.
    They use http://blacknitride.com/
    A buddy sent one to them after he purchased his. Think it was $200 for the single action.
    Defiance sends batches in when they build and the cost on my 2 were only a $125 option for the upgrade when I ordered.
    I have seen one done somewhere else and it came out as gold as a Chinese drill bit. Send it to someone reputable that specializes in it if you go that route.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Here is one

IMG_5799.JPG

And the other one

IMG_2103.JPG

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Just to mention, I have 2 BAT tactical actions that are Melonite finished. They are really nicely done as well and have held up through the years. I understand that melonite and black nitride are close to the same if not the same.
    Not sure what vendor BAT gets them finished from though.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have 2 defiance actions that are nitride. Tough finish and slicks up the action.
    They use http://blacknitride.com/
    A buddy sent one to them after he purchased his. Think it was $200 for the single action.
    Defiance sends batches in when they build and the cost on my 2 were only a $125 option for the upgrade when I ordered.
    I have seen one done somewhere else and it came out as gold as a Chinese drill bit. Send it to someone reputable that specializes in it if you go that route.

You’re confusing two different processes. Titanium Nitride is a coating that is bright gold.

Meloniting (to use a tradename) is a surface conversion process. You could then use a Physical Vapor Deposition coating (TiN, TiAlN, WDLC, etc.)

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    Nice Mickey. That’s definitely a good looking finish.

CG&L - It’s just a 16* carbine length barrel. But yes I know it has to come off, which is of course no big deal on a 455. Right now it will make 1/4* ragged hole groups at 35 yards with pretty much any CCI, RWS, SK, Lapua match ammunition. As long as I can maintain that it’s not a problem.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    You’re confusing two different processes. Titanium Nitride is a coating that is bright gold.

Meloniting (to use a tradename) is a surface conversion process. You could then use a Physical Vapor Deposition coating (TiN, TiAlN, WDLC, etc.)

I know what titanium nitride is and surely not confused of the two.
    Just wanted to make sure the OP knew there was more than one process that could be confused.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Getting back to the set-up fees

It would be $200 for the receiver and $200 for the barrel. Then it would be $45 for the barrel and $45 for the receiver for the nitriding

You might find a place that'll cut some kind of deal but it'll be a 2 piece job no matter what. I don't think it would be a good idea to have them done together and it's unlikely the nitriding place would want todo it like that

It's only cost effective if you're going to do a batch of something

I'm trying to find the name of the company that does it

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    In this case I’ll probably do the receiver and Just buy a stainless barrel

Getting back to the set-up fees

It would be $200 for the receiver and $200 for the barrel. Then it would be $45 for the barrel and $45 for the receiver for the nitriding

You might find a place that'll cut some kind of deal but it'll be a 2 piece job no matter what. I don't think it would be a good idea to have them done together and it's unlikely the nitriding place would want todo it like that

It's only cost effective if you're going to do a batch of something

I'm trying to find the name of the company that does it

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Keep looking for a place that can do it. You might find one that'll cut you a great deal

But it sounds to me like it would be better to have it painted with Cerakote or KG Gunkote

Top Bottom