Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast
    All or nothing

User Info Menu

Why do I choose Mossberg 500 over Remmy 870...

In so many words.. mo better. The 870 is an old workhorse as much as the Mossberg, but couldn’t cut the mustard when it came to mil spec testsing. Durability and dependability standards were too high I reckon. Guess who’s the only one that did..

https://youtu.be/j9WCjp1xvxQ

Btw, I still buy old Mossy clunkers and parts if you guys are unloading any.
    Last edited by Magdump; August 22nd, 2019 at 06:09 PM.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

I prefer the 870 because I detest the tang safety. I currently have a Knoxx recoil reducing stock with a pistol grip. The safety cannot be easily manipulated. I plan to change out the stock to a Magpul to match the ergonomics of my 870 and some rifles when I decide I want to throw more money at the 500. Even then, I prefer the shorter movements needed to disengage the safety on the 870 than to disengage the safety on the 500. From my perspective, there are no positives about the 500's safety that make that safety superior to the 870's safety. Now if they would upgrade to a cross bolt safety, I'd reconsider my opinion.

BTW, I'm considering ditching my 500 in favor of a 20 gauge 870 as the 500 just takes up room right now. If I decide that's the route I want to go, I'll see if you're interested.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Another 7 minute video that could have easily been done in 3 minutes.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Haha, I wasn’t EVEN trying to convert the diehard 870 fans, but I get it.
    As far as the safety, I’d rather the top tang. My beretta over/under is top tang trigger controls and safety. Most of my bolt rifle collection are also thumb thrown safeties. Everything is forward to fire. So I guess if I had to convert to crossbolt I’d prolly worry with it a little, but definitely not a deal breaker.
    Sure Perez. If your mossy is not already an overly-duplicated set up to my collection I may bite. I’m pretty much the Mossberg rescue in these parts, so I’ll at least find a good home for it.

I guess the video is meant for Mossberg fans. Haven’t found a 870 fan that will sit through it.

For the record, I do own a 870 youth 20 and 2 of the older riot guns in 12ga.

Anybody know if they ever made anything in a navy version? A stainless 870 would be the ish...
    Last edited by Magdump; August 22nd, 2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

On Target

User Info Menu

Remington 870’s have issues with the ejector. They are a pain to replace. Mossberg’s are not much better. All shotguns are equally as finnicky.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I went with an older model 870 of the Wingmaster variety. Much better made than the newer models. Found this one several years ago with a busted up stock. Stripped it down and Duracoated it and dressed it up with ATI furniture.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Redneck with a gun!

User Info Menu

I have an 870 that has a few thousand rounds through it duck hunting, has not missed a beat.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Did the 870 have some accidental discharge issues? Seems like that pops into my mind for some reason.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I’m an 870 fan. I did just obtain a neglected moss500 that needs refinishing, because it was Free. No it’s not for sale.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    Did the 870 have some accidental discharge issues? Seems like that pops into my mind for some reason.
    Remington had that issue with one of their bolt action rifles for many years, but any of that with the 870 would be news to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    Remington had that issue with one of their bolt action rifles for many years, but any of that with the 870 would be news to me.

Bangswitch