Why do I choose Mossberg 500 over Remmy 870...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    In so many words.. mo better. The 870 is an old workhorse as much as the Mossberg, but couldn’t cut the mustard when it came to mil spec testsing. Durability and dependability standards were too high I reckon. Guess who’s the only one that did..

https://youtu.be/j9WCjp1xvxQ

Btw, I still buy old Mossy clunkers and parts if you guys are unloading any.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I prefer the 870 because I detest the tang safety. I currently have a Knoxx recoil reducing stock with a pistol grip. The safety cannot be easily manipulated. I plan to change out the stock to a Magpul to match the ergonomics of my 870 and some rifles when I decide I want to throw more money at the 500. Even then, I prefer the shorter movements needed to disengage the safety on the 870 than to disengage the safety on the 500. From my perspective, there are no positives about the 500's safety that make that safety superior to the 870's safety. Now if they would upgrade to a cross bolt safety, I'd reconsider my opinion.

BTW, I'm considering ditching my 500 in favor of a 20 gauge 870 as the 500 just takes up room right now. If I decide that's the route I want to go, I'll see if you're interested.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Haha, I wasn’t EVEN trying to convert the diehard 870 fans, but I get it.
    As far as the safety, I’d rather the top tang. My beretta over/under is top tang trigger controls and safety. Most of my bolt rifle collection are also thumb thrown safeties. Everything is forward to fire. So I guess if I had to convert to crossbolt I’d prolly worry with it a little, but definitely not a deal breaker.
    Sure Perez. If your mossy is not already an overly-duplicated set up to my collection I may bite. I’m pretty much the Mossberg rescue in these parts, so I’ll at least find a good home for it.

I guess the video is meant for Mossberg fans. Haven’t found a 870 fan that will sit through it.

For the record, I do own a 870 youth 20 and 2 of the older riot guns in 12ga.

Anybody know if they ever made anything in a navy version? A stainless 870 would be the ish...

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Remington 870’s have issues with the ejector. They are a pain to replace. Mossberg’s are not much better. All shotguns are equally as finnicky.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I went with an older model 870 of the Wingmaster variety. Much better made than the newer models. Found this one several years ago with a busted up stock. Stripped it down and Duracoated it and dressed it up with ATI furniture.
    de16d47fa71203e6e5d626709f587e2b.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Did the 870 have some accidental discharge issues? Seems like that pops into my mind for some reason.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    I’m an 870 fan. I did just obtain a neglected moss500 that needs refinishing, because it was Free. No it’s not for sale.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Did the 870 have some accidental discharge issues? Seems like that pops into my mind for some reason.
    Remington had that issue with one of their bolt action rifles for many years, but any of that with the 870 would be news to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Remington had that issue with one of their bolt action rifles for many years, but any of that with the 870 would be news to me.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Haha, I wasn’t EVEN trying to convert the diehard 870 fans, but I get it.
    As far as the safety, I’d rather the top tang. My beretta over/under is top tang trigger controls and safety. Most of my bolt rifle collection are also thumb thrown safeties. Everything is forward to fire. So I guess if I had to convert to crossbolt I’d prolly worry with it a little, but definitely not a deal breaker.
    Sure Perez. If your mossy is not already an overly-duplicated set up to my collection I may bite. I’m pretty much the Mossberg rescue in these parts, so I’ll at least find a good home for it.

I guess the video is meant for Mossberg fans. Haven’t found a 870 fan that will sit through it.

For the record, I do own a 870 youth 20 and 2 of the older riot guns in 12ga.

Anybody know if they ever made anything in a navy version? A stainless 870 would be the ish...

Like the marine magnum?

066d31693f54a6c809ee48b12c128c88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I prefer the 870 because I detest the tang safety. I currently have a Knoxx recoil reducing stock with a pistol grip. The safety cannot be easily manipulated. I plan to change out the stock to a Magpul to match the ergonomics of my 870 and some rifles when I decide I want to throw more money at the 500. Even then, I prefer the shorter movements needed to disengage the safety on the 870 than to disengage the safety on the 500. From my perspective, there are no positives about the 500's safety that make that safety superior to the 870's safety. Now if they would upgrade to a cross bolt safety, I'd reconsider my opinion.

BTW, I'm considering ditching my 500 in favor of a 20 gauge 870 as the 500 just takes up room right now. If I decide that's the route I want to go, I'll see if you're interested.

I like both! However, if you want to compare safeties, the Mossberg safety is hands down the more robust and safer of the 2 from a design standpoint. I wouldn't argue it from a user friendly standpoint, but from an engineered standpoint, no question. The 870 is simply a trigger blocking mechanism. Nothing to keep the hammer from falling even in the safe position. The Mossberg actually blocks the hammer so it positively cannot fall. Much more foolproof. Take one apart and examine it and you will see for yourself.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    The solid shell lifter on the 870 is a distinct advantage over the skeletonized one on the Mossberg 500 and 590's when using shorter shot shells.

Yes, I know about the OpSol Clip.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like both! However, if you want to compare safeties, the Mossberg safety is hands down the more robust and safer of the 2 from a design standpoint. I wouldn't argue it from a user friendly standpoint, but from an engineered standpoint, no question. The 870 is simply a trigger blocking mechanism. Nothing to keep the hammer from falling even in the safe position. The Mossberg actually blocks the hammer so it positively cannot fall. Much more foolproof. Take one apart and examine it and you will see for yourself.

If the safety is better engineered but sacrifices usability, it's engineered its way out of the top spot. Mossberg produces several models with factory pistol grips that are labeled security or tactical. From a security or tactical standpoint, their safeties are horrible. It results in some undesirable choices. Should the user disengage the safety upon first touch of the shotgun? If not, disengaging the safety requires either two hands or breaking the grip with the trigger hand. At that point, the better engineered safety results in either a less safe weapon or a less useful weapon.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My first gun was an 870 still runs. I beat that gun through all kinds of brush and mud deer hunting. It’s black synthetic and the mud has colored it FDE a couple times. As a teen I just wasn’t worth a crap, but it’s always fired and never had an issue extracting.

Is Mossberg more reliable? I can’t say, but my 870 has treated much better than I have it. I don’t know if the tang safety would be better for all circumstances but being a southpaw and occasionally taking right handed shots the tang is better located for my uses.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If the safety is better engineered but sacrifices usability, it's engineered its way out of the top spot. Mossberg produces several models with factory pistol grips that are labeled security or tactical. From a security or tactical standpoint, their safeties are horrible. It results in some undesirable choices. Should the user disengage the safety upon first touch of the shotgun? If not, disengaging the safety requires either two hands or breaking the grip with the trigger hand. At that point, the better engineered safety results in either a less safe weapon or a less useful weapon.

Yeah that would be irritating with a pistol grip.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I’ll take the mossy over the 870 any day. My reason is the slide release. To me the 500 is so much easier to manipulate without much movement. I like the tang mounted safety because its in your view as you mount the gun so it’s easy to see that little red dot.

My mossy has a crossbolt safety cuz I bought the $150 Maverick 88. I don’t like it, and it rarely gets used. Most of my guns either don’t have safeties, or I leave them on fire. I was taught the safety is in between your ears!

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

As far as durability I would think they are pretty even. I’ve seen a 500 puke it’s internals at the range and I’ve seen an 870 refuse to fire.
    My mav 88 has at least 5k shells through her and she hasn’t shown any signs of trouble.

My $0.02

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Still have my first Mossy 20 gauge I bought when I was probably 12-13 years old....40 years ago....my dad put it on layaway at West Bros. In Morgan City with half the cost...it was up to me to get it out of layaway.

The original had a 24” barrel with poly-choke. I later bought a replacement 28” modified barrel...which ended up getting cut down short along with the stock for my daughter to duck hunt with....I later bought a youth stock and added a slug barrel with a cantilever scope which my son used to kill his first Illinois deer.

It just sits in the back of the safe, now. But...no doubt, a proven meat getter. For the record...the tang safety is where it’s at....don’t really know why a person would want a vertical pistol grip on a shotgun, anyway. Maybe there is a practical reason that I don’t know about??? (Other than to make it “tactical”)

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Still have my first Mossy 20 gauge I bought when I was probably 12-13 years old....40 years ago....my dad put it on layaway at West Bros. In Morgan City with half the cost...it was up to me to get it out of layaway.

The original had a 24* barrel with poly-choke. I later bought a replacement 28* modified barrel...which ended up getting cut down short along with the stock for my daughter to duck hunt with....I later bought a youth stock and added a slug barrel with a cantilever scope which my son used to kill his first Illinois deer.

It just sits in the back of the safe, now. But...no doubt, a proven meat getter. For the record...the tang safety is where it’s at....don’t really know why a person would want a vertical pistol grip on a shotgun, anyway. Maybe there is a practical reason that I don’t know about??? (Other than to make it *tactical*)

So you're suggesting there's no practical reason then you eliminate a valid practical reason?

-Almost all recoil reducing stocks have a pistol grip. Those stocks help mitigate the effects of recoil, especially for shooters with smaller frames. This may be important in a home defense situation.
    -A pistol grip without a stock makes the shotgun easier to store, like in a vehicle, although I wouldn't want a stockless pistol grip on a 12 gauge. A 20 gauge wouldn't be so bad.
    -You do get a little better recoil management with a pistol grip/stock setup than with a traditional stock setup. With the traditional stock, where your grip is more horizontal, the shotgun wants to slide through your hand, putting all of the recoil on your shoulder. If you add a pistol grip, you have a vertical grip. That allows your arm to absorb a little bit of the recoil instead of letting it all go directly to your shoulder.
    -If someone is more familiar with shooting AR's or AK's, a pistol grip/stock may feel more comfortable.
    -If you are trying to add more shells with the shotgun aimed at a potential threat area, a pistol grip makes it easier. With a traditional stock, when you hold the shotgun up with only your trigger hand, the weight of the shotgun is resting on the 4 fingers wrapped under the stock. With a pistol grip, the whole hand supports the weight.
    -It's much easier to adjust length of pull with an adjustable stock. Almost all adjustable stock have pistol grips.

Top Bottom