Buying a gun and drivers license adddress

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    My wife and I contract and build our own homes. Changing addresses between the sold home the rent house (temporary) and the new house is a hassle. I own a business and the building so we list it for all of our mail to avoid problems. We also put the business address as our address on our drivers licenses. Would this be a problem buying a firearm?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    The address on your license MUST match the address YOU supply on the Fm 4473. No exceptions.

Edited to add: It must be a physical address. No PO Boxes, or drop boxes.

Last edited:

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    My wife and I contract and build our own homes. Changing addresses between the sold home the rent house (temporary) and the new house is a hassle. I own a business and the building so we list it for all of our mail to avoid problems. We also put the business address as our address on our drivers licenses. Would this be a problem buying a firearm?

You essentially live there most of the time. I literally lived in my business for several months, in the seventies, when I went through a difficult divorce. No one questioned my address then.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You essentially live there most of the time. I literally lived in my business for several months, in the seventies, when I went through a difficult divorce. No one questioned my address then.

That was almost 50 years ago when you could walk in any Woolworths or TG&Y and buy surplus mausers for $10 to $20 bucks and go right through the checkout. The only paperwork was the receipt the cashier gave you.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    That was almost 50 years ago when you could walk in any Woolworths or TG&Y and buy surplus mausers for $10 to $20 bucks and go right through the checkout. The only paperwork was the receipt the cashier gave you.

Ah yes, it would be good for the "youngins" on this board to review the massive changes to firearms law that the Gun Control Act of 1968 put into place. If changes like that could happen then, I worry that they could happen again.

PotatoMuncher

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Lacombe
    It may not fly at some other LGS, but at Academy (where I use to sell firearms), we would allow supporting documentation when addresses didn't match. We'd just note it in block 18b "Supplemental Government Issued Documentation."

There was no clear company policy as to what was the qualifier, but from what the 4473 instructions mention, it has to be government issued documentation. Here's a few examples of what we accepted:

• Voter's registration (the actual card they mail to you)

• Vehicle registration (NOT car insurance)

• Water bill

• House deed

• Valid state Fishing/Hunting license

Those are the most common ones the managers accepted. I can't guarantee they'd accept it in the first place, but it'd be worth a shot to call ahead and ask. I figure with your profession, a deed would probably be the easiest thing to come up with.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Regardless of the identification... the first question on NICS is "Does the address match" (I'm paraphrasing of course)... if you don't or can't click "YES", you can go no further in the process.

However, this means... THE ADDRESS YOU WRITE ON THE 4473 NEEDS TO MATCH THE ADDRESS ON YOUR ID (Whatever form of ID you provide)... take from that statement what you will. Also, as mentioned above... can't be an APO/FPO, P.O. Box, etc.

Just saw a guy from "The Film Industry" who wanted to buy a pistol... and he put one address on the 4473 but his ID had a conflicting address. So he was denied the purchase. He then said "Oh well I'll just fill out another one with the correct address because I live at both"...

Sorry charlie... that's a no-go.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom