Any first hand exeprience with Stribog Spa1

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JSNH

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Prairieville
    Anyone have first hand experience with the Grand Power Stribog?
    Anyone been able to compare it with a B&T ghm9?
    Finally anyone around Baton Rouge have one on display?

Thanks for any information y'all might have.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I found them interesting but can’t justify the price tag. I could buy a couple nice pistols with that money. I know of a couple gun shop/ranges that rent guns to shoot. That’s how I got to try a CZ Scorpion before buying one. I’ll try to contact them and ask if test firing a Stribog is a possibility.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The stribog is a good nuff budget gun. I mean its kinda recreating the wheel. A blow back 9mm is a blowback 9mm. Its a system thats been proven reliable. Just gotta decide to put what eggs in what basket when it comes to features and price.

I have handled and seen both the stribog and quite a few and personally shot a GHM9 but never a stribog. (Ive only sold a few of the stribogs)..the over all fit and finish on the GHM is superior to the stribog, IMO. If you get a chance set the two side by side. The stribogs mags feel cheap compared to the GHM....but thats not saying theyre not functional.

I vote GHM. Thats coming from CZ scorpion sbr owner also. If you want to include a CZ scorpion in the comparison and would like to shoot one just let me know! Im only a short drive away in the New Orleans area lol.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Budget gun? As compared to what? MP5K?
    700 bucks bare bones.
    cf9ab14dafc974b4eca0de1d9064ebd7.jpg

All decked out with pull out stock/brace, optic and otherwise fully accessorized we’re talking well over a grand. I spent about 1200 doing my Scorpion. Which I don’t consider a budget gun. But ok.
    eed711503b85aaa63f6706116380a9a5.jpg

Now this is a budget gun. Replace fire control and safety, bolt stop, grip if you want (the little Magpul K grips are great)
    I think I have $500 tops in this one and it’s seen a tad over 1k rounds with no issue ever. It also makes a great suppressor host as is, zero mods. With the red dot, beer cans at 100 yards are easy shots. Almost no recoil.

1a73ffd3aad56ac602a889cd28fb5736.jpg

I went with steel parts over the plastic just because. Had a few of PSA’s EPT triggers laying around along with some $10 JP springs and now the trigger is perfect.

f657f3c7f9ed72e77fb120419c875ae3.jpg

Glock mags are plentiful. I don’t know why anyone wanting a AR9 or equivalent can’t see this for what it is. Oh, they make it in bigger calibers too.
    All the money saved makes for a lot of money shooting
    c7b6842132382c6919ac4a14b4d99b7d.jpg

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have the 556 extar and was thinking about getting a 9mm version. Your glowing review may push me over the edge!!

Thanks for the info!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I guess I shoulda said budget in terms of bought not built. You could build a 9mm AR with a mean arms mag conversion and still have 556 capability for dirt cheap. Just swap a buffer.

But Stribog seems like a functional budget piece at the price point for being in the proprietary subgun category. I just think the overall feel and finish feels kinda meh compared to the other contenders. It just seems like they had to cut corners here and there. That might be me being kinda snooty gun snob and being accustomed to handling different guns at work all day though :) I would still like to shoot one for a more complete assessment and to see performance for comparison.

With that being said the AR is the way to go for pinching pennies no doubt...but I have acquired a weird taste for guns over the years....hell I have a sbr MPA 930sst for shits and grins. I like proprietary weird guns and common guns too.

For the average shooter looking to get a unique subgun on a budget (that isnt a AR 15 platform) it should fit in to their collection like a stocking on a roosters leg.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess I shoulda said budget in terms of bought not built. You could build a 9mm AR with a mean arms mag conversion and still have 556 capability for dirt cheap. Just swap a buffer.

I own the Mean Arms mag conversion insert, 3 of them in fact, and I must disagree that they should be considered. I pre-ordered a 3 pack before they were released. They do not work as advertised. Before the modification recommended by Mean Arms, they held the bolt open on the 2nd to last round. I emailed Mean Arms about the issue and their fix was what I expected it to be. File down the tab on the back, the one that lifts the bolt catch, just enough so it doesn't catch on the second to last round. I did that and now the bolt locks to the rear when manually cycling on an empty magazine. I cannot figure out why but the modified inserts will not load the last round. I tried the Mean Arms inserts in multiple pmags with a few lowers and two 9mm uppers. Both of those uppers worked fine with a Spikes 9mm glock lower. In the picture below, you can see where the edge of the casing got jammed in the AR when trying to chamber the last round. In some cases, the bullet got shoved into the case.

The inserts I got were some of the first production ones. I don't know if they've made any adjustments between then and now. If they haven't, I'd stay far away from them and stick with a dedicated 9mm lower. Or maybe a 9mm magwell insert.

9mm.jpg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Dedicated glock mag lowers are so cheap I just cant see the point of trying to convert a std 556 lower... you have to run a dedicated buffer and spring, a std lpk is cheap and if you run a regular 6 pos m4 buffer tube you can run a variety of stocks or braces. Might save 100 bucks to convert a 556 lower, just not worth it to me. I would rather have a complete functioning setup than a pile of parts.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Anyone here have any experience with the ep armory 80 percent glock mag ar lower? 60 bucks it is tempting. I think I have all of the other parts save for the barrel.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The Stribog is a great little "Poor Man's MP5" in my opinion (and I use the term "Poor Mans" very loosely). It's made very well with great tollerances... a nice piece of work.

HOWEVER, I don't like how the iron sights are integrated to the rail just because swapping them out isn't easy... Yes, I know you can just put a set of BUIS on the rail... but still. Some of the braces that are available/becoming available for it really dress it up nicely. BUT, proprietary magazines... why?? I also am not a big fan of the reciprocating charging handle or that it doesn't allow for changing out of things like pistol grips, handguards, etc. It's all integrated... at least you can change out handguards on the MP5! haha

Personally... I would rather a B&T GHM9, Scorpion, MPX, AR9, MP5 (or clone), etc. Hell given the choice I'd have to take a RONI or CAA MCK over the stribog. Don't get me wrong... if someone handed me one... I wouldn't say no.

There you go... my two cents.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Hell given the choice I'd have to take a RONI or CAA MCK over the stribog.

I got a chance to handle the micro roni and the fab defense kpos. The kpos was great, I would say it is better than the roni. Both of these were the stock variants that had sbr-ed glocks in them so..... pesky laws. The build quality and feel were similar but the kpos just seemed to have the edge on design. Especially if you want to remove the glock and put it back in frequently. Plus the stock detent is in the hinge on the kpos and on the side of the body on the roni. Superior design on the kpos.

I ended up getting a stabilizer version of the roni for large frame glock. It is ok, but cannot be fired with the stabilizer folded. I just looked at the stabilizer kpos and think it might be my next purchase...

Top Bottom