Black Aces Tactical Letter from ATF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you purchased a firearm from Black Aces Tactical, Specifically Pro Series 5 and/or Pro Series 9, with a barrel less than 18" and a folding stabilizing brace, you are now in possession of an NFA item. As of a letter dated 16Aug2019.

Congratulations. You may have just become a felon, by executive decree.

If this applies to you, I suggest you contact an attorney to plan a course of action.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Can you post the ATF letter?

Not easily from work. Ever since photo bucket went South, posting pics has become a pain.

It's dated August 16, 2019 Numbered ' 767000: ARG '.

In the last paragraph it instructs anyone in possession of one of these items to remove the barrel and contact the ATF via Email TampaResponses@ATF.GOV. Include the serial number and model number.

The problem is the OAL in the folded configuration being less than 26".

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Did anyone catch that the ATF singled out the folding/collapsible braces when addressing this issue? Are they saying the non-folding/collapsible braces count toward the overall length?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Soon ALL braces will be on the chopping block.

I fear you are right even though they have been clearly approved as an accessory to a pistol that doesn’t seem to matter anymore. The walk-back on shouldering a brace left me optimistic but this and the bump-stock ban have left me reeling.

This kind of unilateral change in positions is why I believe the ATF (among a whole pot full of Alphabet soup) has reached the end of its usefulness.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

The previous letter basically said if it folds, it must be folded when measuring and extensions are fine if they contribute to the weapon functioning. Otherwise, any extension is superfluous and does not count.

Fast forward to this new letter. Even though a stock is not required for a shotgun to function, it is in the measurement because a stock is part of the definition of a shotgun. An extension on the not-a-shotguns are only there to hold the brace. It does not help with the function of the weapon. According to the first letter, any extension that doesn't contribute to the function of the weapon isn't measured. So this letter could have included all not-a-shotguns with braces. But it didn't. It narrowed the scope of the opinion to a subset, the folding/collapsible braces. It could be argued that singling out a subset does not mean it doesn't apply to the whole set. Mathematically, that is true. But I can't believe the ATF would tell Black Aces to pull the now NFA items with folding braces but allow them to continue to sell NFA items with non-folding braces. That would mean the non-folding extensions do count toward the overall length even though they don't contribute to the function of the weapon.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The previous letter basically said if it folds, it must be folded when measuring and extensions are fine if they contribute to the weapon functioning. Otherwise, any extension is superfluous and does not count.

Fast forward to this new letter. Even though a stock is not required for a shotgun to function, it is in the measurement because a stock is part of the definition of a shotgun. An extension on the not-a-shotguns are only there to hold the brace. It does not help with the function of the weapon. According to the first letter, any extension that doesn't contribute to the function of the weapon isn't measured. So this letter could have included all not-a-shotguns with braces. But it didn't. It narrowed the scope of the opinion to a subset, the folding/collapsible braces. It could be argued that singling out a subset does not mean it doesn't apply to the whole set. Mathematically, that is true. But I can't believe the ATF would tell Black Aces to pull the now NFA items with folding braces but allow them to continue to sell NFA items with non-folding braces. That would mean the non-folding extensions do count toward the overall length even though they don't contribute to the function of the weapon.

I find it odd that these letters are issued from ATF field offices and not a centralized location with lawyers.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Ok I read that three or four times. This new letter is specifically targeting the non-function non-definition appendages that fold or collapse. While the first letter targeted all non-function non-definition appendages.

Yeah it’s interesting, I don’t see this as them walking back the first letter either. It seems someone at black aces kicked a hornets nest. I’m not sure why right a second letter to be more specific either though.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Soon ALL braces will be on the chopping block.

Yep. This is the result of poking the bear. These are not the times to push harder for “scarier” weapons. The push should be to show how great gun owners are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok I read that three or four times. This new letter is specifically targeting the non-function non-definition appendages that fold or collapse. While the first letter targeted all non-function non-definition appendages.

Yeah it’s interesting, I don’t see this as them walking back the first letter either. It seems someone at black aces kicked a hornets nest. I’m not sure why right a second letter to be more specific either though.

If all non-function non-definition appendages are not to be measured (according to the first letter), why would the ATF only target the folding ones? It's as if the second letter believes only the folding ones aren't measure. And there's evidence for that conclusion. The ATF knows what BAT (Black Aces Tactical) is selling. The ATF told BAT to stop selling the NFA items and BAT pulled all NFA items off their site. BAT continues to sell the fixed braces and market them as "no NFA." The ATF has to know this. The fixed stocks were not covered in the letter and the ATF didn't tell BAT to stop selling them as non-NFA. The only way that can happen is if the ATF considers the (non-function non-definition) fixed braces to be part of the measurement.

It's possible, based on Austin's observation, the right hand doesn't really know what the left hand is doing.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The first letter actually sites folding braces, but then goes on to explain that non-folding extensions that are strictly accessories could be on the chopping block as well. They also mentioned that the Tech group was the only section of the ATF who was qualified to give guidance on this subject, and any conflicting guidance should be superseded by this letter.

https://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/atf-folded-brace_redacted.pdf

Go home ATF you’re drunk.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom