Number of guns owned now being used as a Red Flag Trigger.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For 2017

10,874 Deaths from drunk driving crashes

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

Motor vehicle traffic deaths
    ---Number of deaths: 38,659
    ---Deaths per 100,000 population: 11.9

All firearm deaths
    ---Number of deaths: 39,773
    ---Deaths per 100,000 population: 12.2

Here are the gun deaths broken down by type:

Unintentional 486
    ---Deaths per 100,000 population: 0.1

Suicide 23,854
    ---Deaths per 100,000 population: 7.3

Homicide 14,542
    ---Deaths per 100,000 population: 4.5

Undetermined 338
    ---Deaths per 100,000 population: 0.1

Legal intervention/war 553
    ---Deaths per 100,000 population: 0.2

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Kraut, we need to go have a beer. Something tells me we would fast become good buds.
    As for what Pozzinator says about the commitments and protective orders, it is illegal to knowingly falsify anything of that nature. Problem is, nobody even tries to prove any of that til way after the fact, mostly because there’s no real opportunity and judges will go with the professional. A statement made by a lay person will often have the support or sign off of a professional, whether a doc or LEO or what have you.
    As a once deputy coroner for 15 years I wrote a great many CEC’s that immediately put people in some form of custody for at least 72 hours. I rarely worried that I would ever have Law Enforcement give me grief or be sued or have to defend my decision at any point for committing a person, but rather for failure to commit. The person filing a report simply needs to say they believe the committed will harm them self or someone else or that there were threats made, then other people get involved. Proving that joe blows neighbor or ex wife is not in fear for their life is not easy to prove and not often pursued anyway.

I've seen tons and tons of crap OPCs from the Coroner's Office, it's the worst kind of rubber-stamping system around. Back when I started, we'd occasionally get a call to go assist the Coroner's Office Investigator pick up and/or transport someone for an OPC, but they mostly did their own. At some point, the process changed to just faxing the order to a LE agency, no Coroner's Office personnel had to be involved other than taking a signature from the complaining person, and all of a sudden, OPCs skyrocketed. It's pathetically simple and regularly abused. I think the worst example I've seen was a guy who wanted his girlfriend evicted from the residence, and when the city marshals told him he'd have to wait for a court date over a week away, he called the Coroner's Office and got an OPC. I called the investigator because we had already been dealing with them earlier that morning, and the previous night, and he had been aware of the guy's attempt at eviction that morning from him mentioning it, but he still issued the non-rescindable order anyway, and just said "Well, if you can prove he lied, y'all can charge him." No questioning of the circumstances known to him, no request for us or EMS to contact and investigate, just take the signature on whatever statement given and send out a legal order to pick that chick up. Somewhat happy ending, we found he had a warrant through the sheriff's office that they were willing to take the time to serve on him, so she probably got released from the ER before he did from jail.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've seen tons and tons of crap OPCs from the Coroner's Office, it's the worst kind of rubber-stamping system around. Back when I started, we'd occasionally get a call to go assist the Coroner's Office Investigator pick up and/or transport someone for an OPC, but they mostly did their own. At some point, the process changed to just faxing the order to a LE agency, no Coroner's Office personnel had to be involved other than taking a signature from the complaining person, and all of a sudden, OPCs skyrocketed. It's pathetically simple and regularly abused. I think the worst example I've seen was a guy who wanted his girlfriend evicted from the residence, and when the city marshals told him he'd have to wait for a court date over a week away, he called the Coroner's Office and got an OPC. I called the investigator because we had already been dealing with them earlier that morning, and the previous night, and he had been aware of the guy's attempt at eviction that morning from him mentioning it, but he still issued the non-rescindable order anyway, and just said "Well, if you can prove he lied, y'all can charge him." No questioning of the circumstances known to him, no request for us or EMS to contact and investigate, just take the signature on whatever statement given and send out a legal order to pick that chick up. Somewhat happy ending, we found he had a warrant through the sheriff's office that they were willing to take the time to serve on him, so she probably got released from the ER before he did from jail.

I hear ya man and you ain’t joking. Between that and a call to CPS, any fool can potentially ruin somebody’s life or worse if they get pissed and try to buck. Kinda hard to swallow any lack of due process so I can see why people wind up provoked into putting themselves in jeopardy with law enforcement. When your Constitution says you’re innocent until proven guilty but you’re treated like the opposite, who’s gonna want to comply?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I believe 37-40 children have died in hot cars so far this year. Ban children in cars if temp exceeds 80 degrees. It’s not the parents fault... it’s the car.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    Yesterday, during one of their "top of the hour" news blurbs, WWL radio reported that the FBI receives an average of 22,000 calls per week into their national "tip line" regarding potential gun violence. They didn't elaborate, but one can only assume it is friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, acquaintances, even strangers, etc. calling in to report (what they perceive to be), suspicious behavior involving someone and firearms. You can imagine it is a range of any number of potential scenarios. They did say that the "tip line" has actually stopped some shootings before they actually transpired, but again didn't offer how many.

That number of calls rose to 35,000 in one week right after the Dayton and El Paso shootings. Think about that for a moment. If there are approximately 315 million people in the U.S., and they estimate that anywhere from 40-50% own a firearm, then by those numbers alone, 1,140,000 gun owners would be reported as potential threats to the FBI each and every year (not withstanding those that have been called in on multiple times by multiple people).

As this above relates to potentially more Red Flag Laws, I who thought that legitimate suspicions of those with possible mental illness and firearms are not only warranted, but should be "flagged" somehow, now conclude that these laws WILL be abused!

Though I truly believe we as a society need to reign in these mental defects, dirt bags, and scum that keep using firearms to kill innocent people, I just don't believe that politicians can be trusted to write laws that ensure a law abiding citizen the protections of the Bill of Rights. Politicians have displayed example after example of how badly or how nefariously far, they are willing to go to justify an agenda.

If the OP is correct that the number of guns a law-abiding US citizen has is fair game for a flag, then it should be evidence enough that they are already devising ways to circumvent the US Constitution to achieve their end.

And 21,000 are from blue states. :rofl:

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA

I can’t imagine living in Oregon or Commiefornia, etc. A couple of months back I had a recruiter call me about a job in California. I told him that I was not interested but not why. I’d have to dispose of items that I don’t want to do without.

Imagine living in New Jersey where hollow point ammunition and “extended” magazines are FELONIES!

Actually just about anywhere you have to be careful about what you say. Unless you know that you are among friends with like minds and like interests your comments can be taken the wrong way by an uninformed liberal or a clueless millennial. The next thing you know you’re going to have an unexpected visitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Lets see... no finger pointing, voicing objections to elected officials, or even talk of defending ones self against an attack will get you in trouble. That’s what I call freedumb. Murica
    Baby

sffone

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When a drunk driver kills innocent people, the driver is faulted, while his vehicle is of no consideration. But when a psycho kills innocent people, society spends more energy faulting the gun and gun laws than it does looking into the shooter's mentality. Clearly, there is a real disconnect here.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When a drunk driver kills innocent people, the driver is faulted, while his vehicle is of no consideration. But when a psycho kills innocent people, society spends more energy faulting the gun and gun laws than it does looking into the shooter's mentality. Clearly, there is a real disconnect here.

First the Second, then the First.
    We've always said it.
    We are witnessing history.
    We will tell this story one day.

Completely planned!

In order for a political state to assume total control of their populous, the populous must be disarmed! Right now, these far left imbeciles are openly advocating for take-over of the Health System, the Energy Sector, and open borders that will allow unfettered immigration to water down natural born citizen voting blocs. They know that the 2nd Amendment will not be removed from the country so they chip away at the foundation, beliefs, normalcy, and idea of it. They dissuade younger Americans from understanding liberty and freedom at the foot of the firearm by indoctrinating them in schools and on social media.

End game? It is a lot easier to force you to pay 80% of your income to the government, or give up your property, or appropriate your health care, or starve you of cooling and heat if you can't revolt by force.

You say to yourself; "That will never happen here!" Then I say, "Just look at the changes in the last 30 years alone!"

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Completely planned!

In order for a political state to assume total control of their populous, the populous must be disarmed! Right now, these far left imbeciles are openly advocating for take-over of the Health System, the Energy Sector, and open borders that will allow unfettered immigration to water down natural born citizen voting blocs. They know that the 2nd Amendment will not be removed from the country so they chip away at the foundation, beliefs, normalcy, and idea of it. They dissuade younger Americans from understanding liberty and freedom at the foot of the firearm by indoctrinating them in schools and on social media.

End game? It is a lot easier to force you to pay 80% of your income to the government, or give up your property, or appropriate your health care, or starve you of cooling and heat if you can't revolt by force.

You say to yourself; "That will never happen here!" Then I say, "Just look at the changes in the last 30 years alone!"
    Agreed.
    Now if you can only find a few people here who have been self aware for 30 years or more

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    It seems to me that most of the mass shooters only recently acquired firearms and were not enthusiasts.
    The media also ignores the fact that firearms is the only hobby that can be outlawed for anyone who is convicted of any felony. Therefore, at least 99.9% of firearms enthusiasts will not comment even a minor felony.

This!!!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Number of guns owned now being used as a Red Flag Trigger?
    Zero just someone who thinks that since they do not like you so wants to make trouble for you. Or someone who is a silly do folder.
    Just a,way to legally make a,report with no ramafcations for doing so.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom