My Mom's Gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    This was the gun dad gave Mom to protect the home with while he was away at work.
    I remember Dad and her going shoot it with Surplus Steel Cased Ammo. As that is all that was available. Back then it saw in a drawer willing and ready.
    Dad said he mail-ordered it prior to the 1964 rules so ended up at his door with a pile of boxes of ammo. Remember ordering stuff 4-6 weeks {or more} mail?
    Dad had it way before we were born and we knew do not mess with it or else. That was the days when if you did something wrong even if someone else saw you were dragged home. None of this naby pamby crap of do not tell my kid anything.
    I always felt important when dad let me shoot it with his dindling supply of very old surplus ammo.

Anyway, it is heavily oiled as it sat many years with no ammo in my safe after dads passing. It is a painted gun that brakes down as 1911 does
    7.65 French Longue {MAS} aka 7.65x20
    Dad had some surplus, as well as custom, made ammo from 32 S&W Brass cut down on a lathe that he paid a lot for. But some low life stole them but not the gun.
    So will be starting 100 % scratch on that. But cases are available now so should be easy

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
      P1010004.jpg
      230 KB · Views: 112
    • P1010005.jpg
      P1010005.jpg
      231.6 KB · Views: 115
    Last edited:

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Wow! That’s really neat.

Legit question (not being snarky): what’s the deal with the trigger? Looks off-kilter, like the bottom sticks out too far - as if it was installed upside down on the trigger bar. Or maybe just the angle of the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Wow! That’s really neat.

Legit question (not being snarky): what’s the deal with the trigger? Looks off-kilter, like the bottom sticks out too far - as if it was installed upside down on the trigger bar. Or maybe just the angle of the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good Question!
    It is offset like the picture shows.
    When pulled it is almost 100 percent even at the point of all the take up on the trigger is gone.
    So when pulled to fire it is statght up and down.
    Someone thought that would be an asset I guess?
    It when on use must have been carried plenty in a,right hand holster as the one grip is worn as it was rubbed plenty.
    I have no idea what holster was or looked like as dad said he just got the gun and an extra mag.
    I do know that out of a 1000 rounds or more only one was a dud had a primer strike but nothing. I do have some are case spent brass he saved hoping to get Berdan primers for.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That’s cool 340. My mom’s gun is still a trooper special my dad bought her from Steinberg’s in the early 70’s. ‘71 I believe. I remember the old man would take her out back to shoot it very often with some ridiculously weak .38 wadcutter handloads (couldn’t even punch through the bed on his 73 F250...a story for another time) and keep .357 rounds in it for uh, better housekeeping. That’s the only thing of hers I want when she leaves this world. Mama Bear’s little enforcer.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Good Question!
    It is offset like the picture shows.
    When pulled it is almost 100 percent even at the point of all the take up on the trigger is gone.
    So when pulled to fire it is statght up and down.
    Someone thought that would be an asset I guess?
    It when on use must have been carried plenty in a,right hand holster as the one grip is worn as it was rubbed plenty.
    I have no idea what holster was or looked like as dad said he just got the gun and an extra mag.
    I do know that out of a 1000 rounds or more only one was a dud had a primer strike but nothing. I do have some are case spent brass he saved hoping to get Berdan primers for.

I might have some Berdan primers. I'll check when I get home, if my aging mind remembers.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I wish I had my Maternal Grandfather's gun. He carried a Colt 6 shot snub nose 38 with the Colt Hammer Cover.
    He was a manger of a slew of Parking garages in New Orleans. So brought the small money for the days change. As well as picked up all the cash from them at days end to do the large bank drop. He did this his whole life and was robbed once by 2 youg guys on a motorbike.
    They waited and rode up behind him hitting him with a bat the head badly. The guy on the back grabbed the bank deposit and jumped back on. By the time he got up was still dazed.
    Said that it was 2 very young-looking guys! And that they were retreating so no need for it.
    It looked like this early model Colt Detective Special 2" w/ Colt marked factory installed hammer shroud. It was a second series as the ejector-rod was unshrouded. so made from 1947 and prior to 1972.
    Sadly when he passed someone went in and cleaned house and stole everything

Attachments

• Colt DS.jpg
      Colt DS.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 56
    Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I found a yellow tin of what I think are Berdan primers.

It's a small, round tin, with a yellow label

Primer N. 217 B

Alcan Co. Inc.

Are these what you need?

Top Bottom