Ar10/ar308 dpms psa g1/g2

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Help me out here. I’ve avoided the 10’s because I’ve never truly got a handle on the Semi-standardized nature.

My curiosity is getting the best of me and since I like building crap and haven’t built any toys of any kind recently, I’m board. And since AR’s are usually cheaper than buggies it’s getting harder to resist. Plus if I buy the lower now I will have specific items to suggest to the wife and family for Christmas presents. :mamoru:

Yetimaltz

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2019
    Metairie
    Scoop up an Aero M5 upper and lower currently available on Primary Arms for $190. Then wait for his Labor Day sales to post and hit up Schuyler Arms Co website for slick deals on Aero M5 LPK and other various goodies to complete your build. Schuyler Arms has best prices on Aero M5 parts/pieces and I've had no issues with my Aero M5 builds. Schuyler Arms Labor Day prices should be updated any day now.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Scoop up an Aero M5 upper and lower currently available on Primary Arms for $190. Then wait for his Labor Day sales to post and hit up Schuyler Arms Co website for slick deals on Aero M5 LPK and other various goodies to complete your build. Schuyler Arms has best prices on Aero M5 parts/pieces and I've had no issues with my Aero M5 builds. Schuyler Arms Labor Day prices should be updated any day now.

I don’t think I did a good job explaining myself.

I’m not sure what’s what and what’s compatible. Buying matching receivers is definitely a smart suggestion though.

Alright so how many variations are there and which parts cross over between the various platforms.

Last edited:

Yetimaltz

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2019
    Metairie
    Aero M5 is DPMS high. I've built numerous and have never had a single issue besides tweaking gas sytems. I don't bother with Armalite or mixing/matching diff manufacturers b/c I don't care for that headache. I've seen people play the mix and match game and they end up with gaps between lower/upper and other assanine problems. Some could be just cosmetic but I don't care for all that drama BS. Aero M5 - tried and true and I'll stick with it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Aero M5 is DPMS high. I've built numerous and have never had a single issue besides tweaking gas sytems. I don't bother with Armalite or mixing/matching diff manufacturers b/c I don't care for that headache. I've seen people play the mix and match game and they end up with gaps between lower/upper and other assanine problems. Some could be just cosmetic but I don't care for all that drama BS. Aero M5 - tried and true and I'll stick with it.

I’m not sure you realize my lack of understanding. I don’t know what I don’t know.

Example: I googled Aero M5 and it said it’s DPMS high. So my mind said, ‘wait what? If there’s a high, does that mean there’s a low?’

From past reading I remember DPMS is more compatible, but is that high or low?

Are some parts like barrel extension standard no mater what pattern?

Lpk’s all The same as AR15s?

Rails, mags, buffer parts?

If someone knows of an AR10’s for dumb@$$es, point me to it.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Generally speaking, you have DPMS pattern and Armalite pattern. The DPMS is rounded where the receivers meet above the takedown pin. Armalite is more angular. DPMS has high and low profiles to indicate how high above the bore the rail sits. The difference is about 1/16th of an inch but a high upper and a low handguard could present problems with iron sights. If I remember correctly, DPMS high is the most popular and will give you the most options. Aero is in the DPMS high pattern.

Below are a couple of search terms to google. You'll find a good bit of information, some of it really good. And click on images at the top to see the image results. If you are a visual person, that may help. Below those is a link to a pretty good blog discussing some of the differences.

"dpms high vs low"
    "dpms vs armalite"

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compatibility-reference-guide/

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ok I’m not even close but I think I may understand this much.

DPMS Gen2 = not very compatible

PSA Gen2 = not very compatible either

DPMS Gen2 and PSA Gen2 are not the same either.

Am I getting things organized in my head right?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    the answers to what you seek are in the link below

Generally speaking, you have DPMS pattern and Armalite pattern. The DPMS is rounded where the receivers meet above the takedown pin. Armalite is more angular. DPMS has high and low profiles to indicate how high above the bore the rail sits. The difference is about 1/16th of an inch but a high upper and a low handguard could present problems with iron sights. If I remember correctly, DPMS high is the most popular and will give you the most options. Aero is in the DPMS high pattern.

Below are a couple of search terms to google. You'll find a good bit of information, some of it really good. And click on images at the top to see the image results. If you are a visual person, that may help. Below those is a link to a pretty good blog discussing some of the differences.

"dpms high vs low"
    "dpms vs armalite"

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compatibility-reference-guide/

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I have had a dpms lr-308 and got rid of it for the dpms g2... and haven't looked back very light, short, smooth and never had a issue

Attachments

• gun4.jpg
      gun4.jpg
      128.5 KB · Views: 83
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      4.8 KB · Views: 154
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      250.4 KB · Views: 102

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For the first one, I would get a PSA Gen 2 or Gen 3 upper and lower separately, and then change the barrel and upgrade trigger

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    For the first one, I would get a PSA Gen 2 or Gen 3 upper and lower separately, and then change the barrel and upgrade trigger

I’m not opposed to any brand so long as parts like mag, barrels, bolts, and rails are compatible with other brands beside the manufacturer and there enough market support.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The only way a builder is going to come to terms with all the variables is to do the research. Follow those links and learn what’s what. Here are a few basic starter points:
    Gen 1 and 2 uppers and lowers can be mix matched to fit together and work but there are cosmetic issues that you will not want to accept.
    Gen 2 lowers accept AR15 triggers.
    AR-10 is strictly proprietary to Armalite and although some parts do cross over it’s difficult to pull off a AR10 build from scratch nowadays.
    DPMS High profile is what I stick to in terms of buying uppers and free floating fore ends, rails, etc.
    Comparable parts across the board as far as I know:
    Barrels, muzzel devices 5/8x24, BCG, buffer tubes, castle nut, stocks, dust cover, buffer spring and buffer.
    Items you run into problems with are receivers and rails mainly but possibly others you wouldn’t think of until you run into a problem.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I bought a AR10 from Palmetto State Armory. I ordered the upper and the lower separate instead of a complete rifle because for some reason it was less expensive. The completely assembled rifle sells for $629 but an AR10 upper costs $299 (with bolt carrier) and the lower costs $179, $478 total. PSA says that the GEN2 upper works with their GEN 1 lower, but they say that for the best appearance, you should use a GEN 2 upper and GEN 2 lower. This has been by far the best price I could find anywhere and the rifle it very well made. It shoots great.

enhance

Last edited:
    Top Bottom