Carry Insurance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you have firearm insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
    • No

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    USCCA will not publicly disclose any information on their successes, if there ever were any.

To my knowledge, CCWSafe is the only company that has successfully won a court case.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    USCCA will not publicly disclose any information on their successes, if there ever were any.

To my knowledge, CCWSafe is the only company that has successfully won a court case.

Any knowledge of Firearms Legal Protection?

Edit: Also, in consideration of getting one of the aforementioned policies, it seems like it might be at least somewhat beneficial just to have an attorney on call 24/7 for any questions (related to firearm use). Additionally, it looks like on a pro/con comparison, that the con is $200ish a year and the pro is at least some sort of potential for legal help if a situation ever arises, with a contingency of not using it and finding your own attorney if you don't like the services.

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    Austin,

Only 2 I would consider, based on my prior research, are USCCA and CCW Safe. Both pay up front, not reimbursement plans. Biggest difference I noticed is USCCA has levels of coverage to choose from, lets you pick your own local attorney, and covers civil suits; CCW Safe has lead attorney in Zimmerman trial either pick your attorney for you in your area or will screen an attorney you suggest to make sure he/she is up to their standards, and you can add civil coverage for an additional charge.

If you decide to go with USCCA, please give me a heads up before you enroll and I can send you a link where my FFL will get a commission off of your 1st year premium. Won't cost you any more or less than if you just signed up on their website.

George

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Any knowledge of Firearms Legal Protection?

Edit: Also, in consideration of getting one of the aforementioned policies, it seems like it might be at least somewhat beneficial just to have an attorney on call 24/7 for any questions (related to firearm use). Additionally, it looks like on a pro/con comparison, that the con is $200ish a year and the pro is at least some sort of potential for legal help if a situation ever arises, with a contingency of not using it and finding your own attorney if you don't like the services.

George Peterson is their LA/MS "sales rep".... so I am a little dubios of my "legal protection" company choosing to hire Twice arrest, once convicted, once pardoned undr a Democratic gov, multiple lawsuits and bankruptcies guy as their "sales rep."

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Austin,

Only 2 I would consider, based on my prior research, are USCCA and CCW Safe. Both pay up front, not reimbursement plans. Biggest difference I noticed is USCCA has levels of coverage to choose from, lets you pick your own local attorney, and covers civil suits; CCW Safe has lead attorney in Zimmerman trial either pick your attorney for you in your area or will screen an attorney you suggest to make sure he/she is up to their standards, and you can add civil coverage for an additional charge.

If you decide to go with USCCA, please give me a heads up before you enroll and I can send you a link where my FFL will get a commission off of your 1st year premium. Won't cost you any more or less than if you just signed up on their website.

George

Here is some info I was given by an instructor after he researched the actual policies of the various main programs and their coverage documents instead of the marketing material. He said some will out right lie, but ALL will obviously present themseleves in the best light in their marketing.

CCW SAFE
    • More expensive, plan starts at $179 for civilians and $149 for LEO, however you do get 50 state, bail, and protection for family members in the home for free…but more money and less flexibility
    • Must have a valid license to carry to purchase program, or pay more if you do constitutional carry in a constitutional carry state…appears coverage stops if your permit were to lapse, even for an incident inside the home
    • ONLY covers defense for life threatening situations. While their coverage says it would defend even a fist fight, it would have to be a fight in defense of ones life. This exclusion means they would not defend a fist fight in self-defense, or a schoolyard fight against a bully, or even a more serious display of force to stop a robbery or similar crime, where someone’s life was not threatened

USCCA
    • Caps, limits, tier to coverage. Perhaps not as big a deal in the criminal context, but a concern civilly. If Plaintiff’s attorneys know this, they are likely to work on running up legal fees to push a defendant toward settlement
    • Cheapest program (which they no longer even promote) is $13 a month, for only $50,000 in criminal defense coverage, prices go up from there
    • For appeals switches to reimbursement and cuts off civil coverage
    • Civil defense, expert witnesses, bail, crime scene clean up, ect. are all services that the USCCA includes in their membership, but each of these detracts directly from your coverage limit, meaning you may quickly run out of money
    • Promises an attorney with in 48 hours (not in contract, but explained verbally)
    • Minimal vetting done for attorneys on their referral list. We have been told that no interview is required, some of their "referral list" attorneys literally replied back "yes" to a mass email and got listed as a "USCCA attorney." A USCCA representative explained that they *try to only refer attorneys who do criminal law for at least 50% of their practice* (not in contract)
    • No single attorney on their contact list has to take a case that is referred to them. This leaves open the possibility that you run through every attorney on their list (which you have to vet on your own) and still have no one to represent you
    • Rings to a call center, not immediately connected to an attorney=no immediate attorney client privilege
    • Does not cover anyone paid to carry the firearm, or carrying a firearm in conjunction with their job duties.
    • Reserves the right to excludes coverage if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, even inside your own home!
    • Overall probably a better program than Carry Guard, at least they would provide criminal coverage (up to the specified limit) upfront

U.S. Law Shield (This was the one the instructor reccomended)
    • Largest self-defense network in the country. New to LA.
    • An attorney answers the Hotline Emergency Number, and responds immediately to incidents. 100% attorney client privelage from start
    • Attorneys are vetted criminal defense attorneys
    • No caps, No limits, No deductibles, No reimbursements on all criminal, civil, and appeals
    • Covers you with unlimited legal representation criminally and civilly for $10.95 a month in your home state. 2.95 per month for all 50 state coverage
    • Provides free Education through classes and newsletters and actually has them scheduled and available on their website year round.
    • Provides free legal advice for weapons law questions-allows you to interact with the people who will be representing you. Program attorneys answer your questions
    • Cheapest, for the most coverage
    • Over 280,000 members nationwide. Largest membership program designed to provide legal defense for gun owners
    Cover on and off duty LEO/ security / and using your gun if in the "scope of your work" which most policies in the actual policy language

(note) at the time of the class, the rep explained they did not provide bail bonds in LA because technically LA law does not allow for it. Other companies who claim they do are violating the law and playing the numbers game.

Firearms Legal Protection
    • Base membership starts at $12.95 a month in most states ($10.90 a month in select states-check yours) for an individual-in home state coverage (unlimited civil and criminal). No flexibility on additions…if you want coverage outside your home state, you have to jump to the next coverage level which is $21.95 a month, which comes with multistate and bail included-but is substantially more expensive than law shield
    • Says they provide education and seminars, but no way to find anything about this on their website
    • Offers $300 a day in compensation for lost wages, which for many people will already be provided under FMLA leave. ALso provide for crime scene clean-up and some other cool extra benefits.
    • Similar to law shield in attorney answered line, uncapped civil and criminal defense
    • No business hours number to get free legal advice/or interact with attorneys before a critical incident=the program is only useful if you actually have an emergency, and you have not opportunity to establish rapport with the attorneys who will actually be representing you
    Do not have employees on the ground in most states. Utilize outside sales reps who are basically contract "hustlers" to sell program on commission.

Armed Citizens Defense League

• Similar cost to law shield- $135 a year
    • Only provides $25,000 upfront for defense, the *network* then makes a case by case determination on if they will provide additional funds for a defense, and how much additional would be provided. The *network* has the authority to spend up to half of what they have in their reserves, but this means that multiple big cases would drain their reserves rapidly, and de-incentive the *network* choosing to spend money to help a member
    • No immediate attorney referral, the network will refer you to attorneys, but makes no claims as to their competence or level of expertise. Will not let you know who they will refer you to until after you pay for a membership
    • Will not cover people using force as part of their job
    • Does provide educational book and material, but no non-emergency number or seminars

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have had USCCA for about 8 years now (Platinum member). I have never needed them... but it's nice to know if have the coverage if I do. I am also an NRA Benefactor Member which allows for some benefits as well.

Still hasn't stopped either of them from emailing, mailing and calling me for more money! lol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2018
    Walker, LA
    Austin,

George

Hey George USCCA does not cover everything up front. The only cost they cover up front is bail bonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    All of USCCA's advertising references up front (as contrasted to reimbursement type) coverage.

Andrew Branca of Law of Self Defense is dead set against reimbursement plans and he recommends USCCA (and CCW Safe).

The USCCA membership agreement is here: https://www.usccamemberterms.com/

Exhibit B, Section B addresses criminal defense payments and nothing in there sound like a reimbursement plan to me. You pick your attorney and they send the money to your attorney to cover your defense costs, up to the dollar limit of the plan you have chosen.

Let me know if you think I am missing something.

Top Bottom