In light of recent B/S

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So in light of recent B/S lately, I've noticed alot more people open carrying lately. I.E. Today after work, I went to Petco on Manahttan to pick up a few things and noticed that 3 people other than myself were packin heat. 1 was actually an off-duty LEO, another was a bald headed black guy wearing one of the Russian T-Shirts ( guy on youtube ), and the third was a small little blonde girl prolly in her late 20's/early 30's. I was very at ease noticing it. After we left, even my wife mentioned in the truck... " Baby, did you notice you weren't the only one carrying in there?" Of course I noticed hunny. lol.... Anyway, head to Rouses in Gretna afterwards, and stopped keeping track of how many openly carried firearms I noticed when I hit 4 or 5 outside of the Gretna LEO on duty there. Now if this was the norm EVERYDAY, I'm confident that all these "mass shootings" would not be happening

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Must be a NOLA thing, I rarely see anyone carrying an exposed pistol in this area.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I ALWAYS pay attention to my surroundings and take notice of every individual in a confined area\building\room I can see when I enter a place. Im used to seeing 1 or 2 others randomly over the course of a few days, but the last couple days its been a regular thing to notice several people a day. It almost seems like it is becoming common place and accepted in more places than before.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Ever since moving to LA I've noticed less of it. The part of WA I lived in was very pro gun and open carry was way more common than here. Grew up around orchards and Farmers with trucks not Starbucks BTW.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I do not like to OC. However I do believe it is critical that it be allowed. There was a time in certain states were if someone carry concealed even had their shirt ride up an expose their weapon it was a crime as OC was forbidden.
    The argument that I keep seeing is that ones right to carry does not override ones right to feel safe... I have no clue how that can even be argued with a straight face. I mean look at what they are saying, they are saying that carrying the means to ones self-defense is less important than someones feelings? If people knew what a firearm is, how it works, and most of all what it cannot do then we would not be having these issues.

If I see someone with a firearm on their hip, of course I will size them up as how they behave will make things obvious, if they look like a normal person who just happened to grab the OWB holster today I am going to have no issue. However if they are showing body language that suggests otherwise then I may take an interest in them. This of course happens in under 1s in most cases(this is instinctive for me and if your carrying a large knife i'll probably do the same). This is how I believe most people will react but some believe the mere act of carrying a firearm is a sign of mental illness and being unstable if only these people would realize if its in a Holster then more than likely he/she is not going to become an active shooter. Those people will either come in guns a'blazing or wait until the time is right to present their weapon.

It is a shame that people do knee jerk reactions. It is also a shame that people want to point at other countries as shinning examples... What they fail to remember is that the US was founded to be different, we are different. We were founded from a fight for rights and this was recognized with our protections on our right to be armed and also something as simple of not being able to be forced to house Soldiers...

A line has to be enforced at some point, the right to privacy has been the first to fall as what I type right now is stored an analyzed at some level somewhere, that is something that we all know and accept...

I should probably go to bed now... I'll wake up tired and cranky anyway lol...

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    I was in a store the other day with a lady that is not pro-gun (not really anti-gun either) and she said the guy she saw open carrying made her feel a bit safer. Surprised me.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My opinion on open carry is a very mixed review. I believe if you are a handgun owner you should wear it. I believe where you wear it should be up to you, but if everyone in our society that owned a handgun wore it openly it wouldn’t be odd or alarming or a point of interest (unless it’s a really cool piece and you can’t help but oggle it) when someone walks in with their gat hangin. The problem is many gun don’t carry, or shoot at all. Often they are the panic buyers you see before and after elections. If everyone played face up, the advantages of concealment would narrow to only element of surprise, but in certain scenarios it may increase the benefit. Overall though the benefits of concealing would no longer out way the drawbacks (YMMV). But until I start to feel like the odd man out or under gunned due to the increase in open carry I will retain my anonymity, but for those places who know and expect me to be armed like deer camp and the gun range.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I notice a lot of people concealed carrying, or what they mean to be concealed. What’s more is I’ve noticed other people notice more than once. I want to say something to them and have actually very discreetly advised more than one to ‘check their rig’ but only when I considered it cool enough to do so. I’ve been carrying since the late 80’s and just don’t get how one could be at all careless when it comes to concealing the weapon. I’d just as soon open carry be the norm like the old west. People were a lot more polite and respectful in those times.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've only seen a dozen or so people open carrying in the past decade. The majority was a budget pistol carried in a nylon holster clipped to a pocket or pants. Almost always seen in an Academy or other sporting goods store.

Generally, from what I've seen, concealed carriers seem to take carrying a firearm more seriously.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I've only seen a dozen or so people open carrying in the past decade. The majority was a budget pistol carried in a nylon holster clipped to a pocket or pants. Almost always seen in an Academy or other sporting goods store.

Generally, from what I've seen, concealed carriers seem to take carrying a firearm more seriously.

We all poke fun at Uncle Mikes. Its in vogue. Drawing from one is the problem if you ask me but they usually require a thumb break or some secondary retention, which is more than I can say for a bunch of the HSLD pancake holsters which are the new hotness to the so-called high speed crowd. I would never ever ever OC with a passive retention rig.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    We all poke fun at Uncle Mikes. Its in vogue. Drawing from one is the problem if you ask me but they usually require a thumb break or some secondary retention, which is more than I can say for a bunch of the HSLD pancake holsters which are the new hotness to the so-called high speed crowd. I would never ever ever OC with a passive retention rig.

The issue with the holsters is that they are not secured. Even if they have a thumb break, the belt attachment is not secured. I would not openly carry without an active retention holster similar to what LEO carry. Something that is secured to the belt and has multiple levels of retention.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Agreed. Outside of on/off-duty police, the only people I see open carrying are either old men who still think that revolvers are the only thing that should be carried, or keyboard commandos who are going to the store to get more Cheetos after finishing a round of Call of Duty.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Agreed. Outside of on/off-duty police, the only people I see open carrying are either old men who still think that revolvers are the only thing that should be carried, or keyboard commandos who are going to the store to get more Cheetos after finishing a round of Call of Duty.

This is an extreme case, but yea... I've not seen many "proper" open carriers.

53010680_2244600638894840_4359335416814370816_n.jpg

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That pistol with the baby is Dumb $hit!

Top Bottom