In light of recent B/S

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    This is an extreme case, but yea... I've not seen many "proper" open carriers.

53010680_2244600638894840_4359335416814370816_n.jpg
    Can't fix stupid.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    The issue with the holsters is that they are not secured. Even if they have a thumb break, the belt attachment is not secured. I would not openly carry without an active retention holster similar to what LEO carry. Something that is secured to the belt and has multiple levels of retention.

That is one of several issues with the holster.

They also do not adequately protect the trigger since you can pressure in the material and move the trigger.

They also collapse on reholstering which allows for a potential manipulation of the trigger with the material and promotes angling the gun towards the body to reholster.

They also are cheap and poorly made.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I OC quite often in the Prairieville/Gonzales/South B.R area or where ever I may be that it is legal.
    The problem I have with CC is simple...I'm a runt and it is very difficult for me to CC anything larger than my Ruger LC9 and even that prints bad depending on clothing. I'm an introvert and absolutely do not OC for attention but very few ever seem to notice that I have been able to see. I typically OC a Sig P320 compact but it fits me like a full size would fit a normal sized human. I almost always wear black or dark shirts, black holsters and gun, so pretty discreet.
    I get it that so many are opposed to OC due to how "poorly" some choose to do so. I have seen anything from a young lady with what looked to be a Sig 938 simply tucked in a back pocket to a few really nice 1911s in very nice (NON-retention) holsters to good retention holsters with the typical Glock.
    To each his own.
    We can be our own worst enemy at times.
    In my opinion the more OC the better. An armed society is a polite society.
    As far as I am concerned everyone is a potential threat.
    Sorry to ramble...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I OC quite often in the Prairieville/Gonzales/South B.R area or where ever I may be that it is legal.
    The problem I have with CC is simple...I'm a runt and it is very difficult for me to CC anything larger than my Ruger LC9 and even that prints bad depending on clothing. I'm an introvert and absolutely do not OC for attention but very few ever seem to notice that I have been able to see. I typically OC a Sig P320 compact but it fits me like a full size would fit a normal sized human. I almost always wear black or dark shirts, black holsters and gun, so pretty discreet.
    I get it that so many are opposed to OC due to how "poorly" some choose to do so. I have seen anything from a young lady with what looked to be a Sig 938 simply tucked in a back pocket to a few really nice 1911s in very nice (NON-retention) holsters to good retention holsters with the typical Glock.
    To each his own.
    Sorry to ramble...
    All good points brother. Ramble on.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    To each his own.
    Sorry to ramble...

To add to this, MOST people nowadays are completely obvlivious to their surroundings. People are to busy texting, or simply to ignorant to pay attention to whats going on around them. To put it bluntly, most people today are to stoopid to notice when you are open carrying. This train of thought may change as of late due to recent events, but im talking stereotypically

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The issue with the holsters is that they are not secured. Even if they have a thumb break, the belt attachment is not secured. I would not openly carry without an active retention holster similar to what LEO carry. Something that is secured to the belt and has multiple levels of retention.

Yep agreed in those rare moments I do OC I’m carrying with a Safari-land GLS. It’s so intuitive to draw from it may as well be passive, but it’s not.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    To add to this, MOST people nowadays are completely obvlivious to their surroundings. People are to busy texting, or simply to ignorant to pay attention to whats going on around them. To put it bluntly, most people today are to stoopid to notice when you are open carrying. This train of thought may change as of late due to recent events, but im talking stereotypically

Doubtful but it’s less stupid and more self absorbed.

Boomer453

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Many, louisiana
    I dont see a lot of open carry near where I live (toledo bend) but I can say that the ones I have seen all set a pretty bad example.
    Last one was a guy with a full size in a clip on (no retention or strap) hanging off his oversized sweat pants. Gun was pulling his pants down and had the gun almost horizontal rather than vertical.

Having the right to do something doesn't mean you have the intelligence.

As much as it pisses people off...I'm against open carry without some type of basic instruction to go with it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You know, in a way, the OC crowd has accomplished a lot. They wanted to draw attention to the legality of OC and they have. Unfortunately at the price of not being able to carry in many retail stores, but they can OC in public more easily now as all of the LEO's now know it's legal. Not saying that's a good thing though...

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    It’s jack asses like this that make it harder on gun owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gun Owners make it hard enough on themselves as well. Especially the training, and range "Nazi's". Maybe if people didn't get so hung up on literally every little thing, and accepted some generalized practices people wouldn't view most gun owners as such assholes. Coming from an instructor, who has spoken with other instructors. There are groups that no one wants to have anything to do with, because of the my way or the highway attitude, and abundance of criticism lacking of actual facts. Many gun groups have turned people off because of their lack of personality.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Or because he’s flagging literally everyone to his left...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The location is dumb. The holster choice is less than ideal. But the orientation although I would prefer angled downward isn’t necessarily bad in and of itself. For a street event, going in public and most uses it’s a poor choice. The only safe location to point a gun is down range every other position is a calculated risk. This guys calculator needs batteries.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You know, in a way, the OC crowd has accomplished a lot. They wanted to draw attention to the legality of OC and they have. Unfortunately at the price of not being able to carry in many retail stores, but they can OC in public more easily now as all of the LEO's now know it's legal. Not saying that's a good thing though...

Why is it “not a good thing”?

If one chooses another method of carry that’s fine.

I refuse to ridicule my fellow citizens who choose to exercise their RIGHTS without asking for PERMISSION.

Apples and potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom