Got body armor?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    This has come up a time or two in the past and yes, they’d love to ban it for certain, but is this gonna happen anytime soon? I just know when the lefties start asking ‘why would anyone need a ————‘, we have to fight to keep it or kiss it goodbye. For years armor was simply touted as being for law enforcement/military use only and then it wasn’t really made available to the public. All that changed over the past 30+ years and now you can get most anything if you have the cash or Bitcoin.
    So what now? Psych criminal shooters are wearing it now so they’re gonna take it from everyone? So you can’t protect yourself or your family? And what about the armored school bag inserts? Can’t send my children to school with any form of protection?
    Some politicians need to go, from top to bottom if that’s the case.

https://youtu.be/9dmWOmySvWM

Little long but great points throughout the vid.

Last edited:

Strick8

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hammond, LA
    Just another in the long line of absurd reactions from the anti-gun side. You mean to tell me Schumer, et al believe they can tell us what we can and can’t WEAR?! Unbelievable. Completely believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I would have to be pretty dang worried about my safety to put on a vest. Being built like the Jolly Green Giant I have to consider the massive amount of torso still exposed which only decreases the appeal. All that before I consider humidity, and my natural tendency to sweat even when it’s cold. Throw in rifle plates and we are talking mobility reduction.

My lifestyle the potential need doesn’t come close to the drawbacks, but there is no justification for banning or limiting access that I will accept as valid.

Last edited:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I would have to be pretty dang worried about my safety to put on a vest. Being built like the Jolly Green Giant I have to consider the massive amount of torso still exposed which only decreases the appeal. All that before I consider humidity, and my natural tendency to sweat even when it’s cold. Throw in rifle plates and we are talking mobility reduction.

My lifestyle the potential need doesn’t come close to the drawbacks, but there is no justification for banning or limiting access that I will accept as valid.

Good points.

For large dudes, remember, we are not trying to cover the whole body (I mean that would be great iun a perfect world), but the intent of protection is the vitals. Everything else is expected to get medical aide in plenty of time.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If the bubment believes we are all in danger because the evil guns keep killing people innocent people then they should issue every law abiding citizen body armor. Actually guns and armor to protect themselves. It’s not a privilege, it’s a right.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA

The military considers armor acceptable if it reduces mobility approximately 30% per layer (VA math). So basic soft vest reduces the troop to 70%. The plates reduce it 30% of that, 21%, to 49%. Add in side plates, DAPS, and the cowboy collar / codpiece and you’ve got a troop who’s barely more maneuverable than an upturned turtle.

That’s why a bunch of SOF units got exceptions to wear only plate carriers, and why most of us don’t wear one bigger than a medium. I used to wear a large COTS Paraclete vest with a medium front and side plates and a small back plate.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The military considers armor acceptable if it reduces mobility approximately 30% per layer (VA math). So basic soft vest reduces the troop to 70%. The plates reduce it 30% of that, 21%, to 49%. Add in side plates, DAPS, and the cowboy collar / codpiece and you’ve got a troop who’s barely more maneuverable than an upturned turtle.

That’s why a bunch of SOF units got exceptions to wear only plate carriers, and why most of us don’t wear one bigger than a medium. I used to wear a large COTS Paraclete vest with a medium front and side plates and a small back plate.

Yeah ain’t that ironic?
    tenor.gif

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I'd like to see that study. We wore the IBA with DAPS. We didn't have the side armor and most didn't wear the cod piece. While our maneuverability was reduced, it was not even remotely close to to the decrease you're talking about.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The only legitimate reason that I can see for civilian body armor is an armed insurrection. Now whether that is from the outside or the inside doesn't matter. But even then, if you are not fully committed to actually take up arms against another person, why bother?

Am I missing something?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The only legitimate reason that I can see for civilian body armor is an armed insurrection. Now whether that is from the outside or the inside doesn't matter. But even then, if you are not fully committed to actually take up arms against another person, why bother?

Am I missing something?

Armor at a carbine class is more of PPE than protection against the redcoats.

I don't care if people own armor. That **** is impractical for daily activities and nobody is open carrying a rifle on the reg.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Am I missing something?

Why not just for funsies.

you did say legitimate not practical. ;)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Am I missing something?
    Just the point I think, but er.... carry on.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Armor at a carbine class is more of PPE than protection against the redcoats.

I don't care if people own armor. That **** is impractical for daily activities and nobody is open carrying a rifle on the reg.

Why not just for funsies.

you did say legitimate not practical. ;)

Just the point I think, but er.... carry on.

FWIW: My vest is collecting dust right next to the chest rig (full of loaded mags), and my Bug Out Bag!

Cause you never know, right? ;)

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I’m full well for everyone having some type of armor, granted mine saved my life from a 155mm IED, but even state side, hear something outside or on the other end of your residence.... slip some pliable L3 over your chest, grab your favorite 12 gauge or High capacity rifle and go check it out.

Last edited:

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    In Iraq we made these neat wooden armor stands for our gear in our rooms. Wish I had a metal one I would have brought that back home. They were cross shaped

Top Bottom