Need Help Identifying AR Parts Manufacturers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have some AR parts and I'm looking for some help figuring out who made them.

First up is an upper. It's got a circle forge mark. That may be the mark for Performance Forge and a number of people see that mark on PSA uppers.

IMG_0729.jpg

The barrel is a 16" heavy barrel with a carbine gas system and an fsb. The barrel is marked L 5.56 NATO 1/9. The fsb is not F marked. The barrel may be an ESS HBAR 5.56 4140 1/9 barrel or a DPMS 5.56 16" Heavy 1X9. I can't seem to find a clear picture of their markings to know for sure.

IMG_0732.JPG IMG_0731.jpg IMG_0730.jpg

I think the bcg is from AIM Surplus. I couldn't find any other bcg with "MPI 9310" stamped in gold on the bolt.

IMG_0734.JPG

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The upper is obviously from the Obama forge. You didn’t build that.

Kidding. Who knows what forge is making those for who all? PSA is definitely contracting with them lately though. Doesn’t mean they sold it. Over the years I’ve gotten A and square forge marks as well as keyhole forge marked uppers from PSA. Even Colt forgings have not been limited to Colt, as they’ve made receivers for other manufacturers, they just don’t have a C mark on them.
    The bolt is much the same. Chances are it was made somewhere apart from the carrier and not even related. I have a few with the same markings. And alas, the FSB, same story I’m afraid, but I can tell you that Double Star and Olympic Arms have both used those. Last I heard, Olympic Arms still made all their own AR parts... maybe they forged your upper.

Barrel is a different story but much the same. Anybody’s guess who made it. It’s a lined HBAR with 1:9 twist. That same barrel might have a different finish on a Double Star upper than it would on a Delton.
    Point is, there are factories that produce parts for the masses of gun manufacturers. Sometimes gun manufacturers put their name on those parts that they had made by contract with said factory, which is completely legit but makes it difficult to nail down the contractor. I find it cool to know who makes certain milspec parts that get sold to major brand names AND the up and coming or minor names and paying way less money for the same exact part without the DD logo or Spikes logo or whoever.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The keyhole should be cerro forge. I have a PSA upper with that mark as well. They supply uppers to a number of companies. I have never seen the O before and couldn't find it on any of the forge lists floating around. And I would believe the barrel came with the fsb. Most home builders don't pick an fsb for their home builds.

Someone tried to pass this upper as a "from the factory" Spikes Tactical. None of the parts appear to be consistent with their product.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The keyhole should be cerro forge. I have a PSA upper with that mark as well. They supply uppers to a number of companies. I have never seen the O before and couldn't find it on any of the forge lists floating around. And I would believe the barrel came with the fsb. Most home builders don't pick an fsb for their home builds.

Someone tried to pass this upper as a "from the factory" Spikes Tactical. None of the parts appear to be consistent with their product.
    The barrel and FSB absolutely came as a package, and I’ll wager you’re correct about the origin of the complete upper not being spikes. All in all, there’s so many commercial builders using the same parts it’s hard to tell where they all come from. Nowadays I just look for logos mostly.

Top Bottom