Ruger 1022 magazine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I sent the following to Ruger, there reply was nothing has changed. Has anyone else experienced this issue.

I have a 1022 I purchased in 1979. Recently I purchased two Ruger 25 round magazines for it. I found the new magazines extremely had to insert and remove compared to the original 10 round magazine. Using a caliper I found the distance between the the small and large pins that lock the magazine in to be .008 to .010 longer than the original magazine. This is the reason for the difficulty inserting and removing the magazines. After filing the large pin down to get the length equal to the original they are easily inserted and removed. Has specifications for the magazines or the magazine well changed over the years. Thanks

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have a 1960’s sporter I bought from a friend in high school I think about 1980 for 40 bucks. Same problem with the BX mags. Pretty sure a trigger pack swap would be the cure but don’t wanna take away from the value due to its minty condition.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ok, I decided to pull my old sporter out and investigate further than before and it seems to be the difference in the stock that’s making it impossible to insert the mag fully in my case. If the mag were straight it would fit fine, but the curve forward winds up dragging on the stock before it can fully seat, forcing the top of the mag to tilt forward ever so slightly. I was able to actually get it to lock into battery with some force but had to use equal force to remove it. I did not test for function.
    Bad juju in my book, so it’s a no-go for that rifle.

So, I hit up some 10/22 forums and there are issues with the polymer stocked rifles at times as well. There were plenty of posts from guys with 60’s model carbines that liked the BX 25, however and it seems that problems with fit and function span the complete line of rifles (I better say pistols too if I mention the charger or I’ll hear from somebody), even down to the charger and takedown models. So maybe check the magwell area of your stock to see if a slight trim would help. Might even post up for somebody’s takeoff stock for cheap. I’ve picked up a few over the years for little or nothing. Just a thought.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Interesting. I have a 10/22 from 1973, and I've never had a problem inserting modern Ruger magazines in it. I have the original factory mag for it, but other than having a bit more surface wear it doesn't fit or work any differently than magazines I purchased in 2015.

That said, I don't know if I've ever put a 25 round magazine in it. I'll try the next time I have it out.

Mike

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have a 1993 and the 1st year of Take Down {whatever year that is} both work fine with Real BX25

Top Bottom