Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

User Info Menu

204 Ruger vs 243 winchester

I have been contemplating making a 243 Winchester in an AR platform and the notion of a 204 Ruger entered my mind I can't seem to make up my mind .
    I'm opened to suggestion and Ideas
    What do you all think?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Both are awesome especially if you reload. Just know .243 is in the AR 10 platform though

Marksman

User Info Menu

204 or 243? That's like "boxers or briefs"? Depends!

That are you going to use it for? 204 is great for long range small varmints, 243 is for bigger game. The 204 will be an AR-15 platform, but the 243 will be an AR-10. If you're buying/building a complete rifle this likely won't matter, but if you want to swap uppers it is significant.

If it's for the AR-15 platform, have you considered the 6.5 Grendel?
    Doug

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came, saw, and kicked my cancers ass!

Threadender

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if you plan to hunt with this rifle but, in case you didn't know, the .204 is not legal for deer. The laws state that firearms used for deer must be .22 caliber centerfire or larger.
    Live and learn. Die and forget it all.

User Info Menu

No I'm not a hunter just target shooting and I already have a Grendel I think I'm going with the 204

Marksman

User Info Menu

I had a .204 ruger tc encore 22in bbl. It can be tricky to reload with the tiny bullets. But it is the definition of tack driver.
    I never had the opportunity to push it past 300, but if the wind was calm the drop was very predictable and easy to compensate for.