Colt to Discontinue Long Gun Production Update 09/18/2019

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Colt Firearms ends civilian long gun production
    September 11, 2019

Colt Firearms is ending civilian long gun production.
    Colt firearms has announced it will be ending civilian long gun production. Colt has been plagued with financial problems for years.

Update 09/18/2019.

Colt Firearms has reportedly decided to cease AR-15 production for the civilian market.
    This will mark the end to some of the most iconic AR-15s ever, as Colts were a go-to AR for consumers as America’s love for the modern sporting rifle emerged in the late 20th century.

Guns.com reports Colt senior VP Paul Spitale indicated the company is shifting away from ARs and toward the class 1911, Colt revolvers, and other guns Americans want for concealed carry. Spitale said:

We’re going to focus on the products that our consumers are asking for. We’ve expanded our 1911s and our revolver line, and that market has been very positive for us.
    Shooting Illustrated quoted Spitale saying Colt’s decision to refocus production was based on *customer feedback.*
    Spitale made clear Colt’s position on making rifles for civilians could be reversed in the future, if the market changes to support a higher production of modern sporting rifles again. But for now, the 1911, the King Cobra family of revolvers, and similar firearms will be Colt’s focus.

AWR Hawkins is an award-winning Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and the writer/curator of Down Range with AWR Hawkins, a weekly newsletter focused on all things Second Amendment, also for Breitbart News. He is the political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com. Sign up to get Down Range at breitbart.com/downrange.
    2nd AmendmentPoliticsAR-15ColtKing CobraSecond Amendment

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    As in the AR 15?
    I’m amazed at how any major gun manufacturer is not drowning in capital after Obama’s infusion into the market. But I’ve see millionaires go bankrupt due to poor management of the funds. Maybe Keltec will buy them out.
    :mamoru:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Can you cite a source for this? I just did a quick Google on this and I could't find anything.

(I'm not saying that this isn't true ... I'm just curious to hear about whether this has to do with their financial issues)

Mike

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Colt to Discontinue Long Gun Production.

Can you cite a source for this? I just did a quick Google on this and I could't find anything.

(I'm not saying that this isn't true ... I'm just curious to hear about whether this has to do with their financial issues)

Mike

I saw it on another board yesterday. Here’s a link to the story.

From COLT:

“TTAG was able to speak directly with Paul Spitale, Senior Vice President of Colt’s commercial business line. He confirmed the above. Colt has halted production of its commercial long guns lines and is focusing its manufacturing and sales on 1911s and revolvers.

He also stressed that Colt has about 110 days of long gun inventory in its distribution network and if market conditions change down the road, they could revisit this decision.”

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/colt-halts-sales-of-long-guns-to-the-retail-market/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    As I have told many other people who ask about colt... a prime example of a nice line of firearms that say screw the people and over charge them and make outta cheaper parts cause we got a govement contract suckas!!! Put all the marbles in the gov. Contract basket and see what you get... loose the respect and reputation of the people, and loose the fine craftsmanship of the old school colts... they been doomed 10yrs + ago...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The market is flooded and there are other manufacturers creating superior rifles at a similar cost. Colt can't stay competitive.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    I wonder if colt AR's will fetch colt python prices I mean if their not made anymore then would they fall into the collector classification

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wonder if colt AR's will fetch colt python prices I mean if their not made anymore then would they fall into the collector classification

Unless you already have collectible Colt rifles, such as an original SP01, don't expect prices to skyrocket.

Common modern rifles like the LE6920 are not in much demand and won't be more in demand if the supply becomes non-existent.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Colt didn’t adapt to a market that began to have dozens of manufacturers from the barebones cheap blaster to the high-end and hyper-lite guns at prices that were competitive and often cheaper. Like many companies have tried they relied on their reputation and not innovation in an innovative market. Then I’m sure economies of scale took over making it harder and harder to profit on the same quality at the same price with the quantity rapidly decreasing.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree that the used market will be uber slow to reflect a rise in price for the modern Colt AR but they will likely begin to fetch a premium later on as collectors begin to consolidate the numbers a bit. The older Colts however, especially preban rifles are already worth significantly more than their original selling price and more than many new AR15’s. Even the surplus kits I bought for nearly nothing in the 80’s are worth bank at the moment. My 70’s and 80’s rifles will be left to my family.
    More than what this will do to the market, I’m shaking my head at how Colt actually got to this point. I wish I knew the actual number of rifles they sold to the US military and federal agencies on contract over the years. Not to mention state and municipal agencies. Before anyone mentions how many other manufacturers are likely filling some of those needs, consider for how long they were not.
    Perhaps this is simply Colt being corporate wise. Plugging a leak so to speak. No longer making a profit from long guns so they’re shutting down that section of their production. It would certainly be easier to swallow than the thought that they may be on the verge of bankruptcy or what have you.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow! I have a Colt rifle! I'm rich. I'm gonna go list that Colteer .22 rifle with a starting bid of $1K.

or not.

:mamoru:

Go ahead and list it. It'll fit right in with the $800 collectable PSA rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2019
    Waller Texas
    Not trying to stir the pot here, but I can’t help but wonder if this decision has anything to do with what O’Roark said about ‘taking your AR15s and AK47s’. Does Colt know something we don’t?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Go ahead and list it. It'll fit right in with the $800 collectable PSA rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone asking less than $1200 for those barebones PSAs is basically giving them away.

Top Bottom