Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

User Info Menu

8X42 or 10x42 Binoculars

Hi Everyone, just about to purchase a binoculars for Bird watching for my daughter.
    Can anyone give any advice what size would be the best buy ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ncmbiceps; September 18th, 2019 at 06:47 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I prefer the 8X, cannot hold the 10X steady.

Marksman

User Info Menu

For what use determines what power. For sports 7 or 8 is best. As said above 10 is difficult to hold steady without being propped up on something solid. 10 would't be good for use on a boat, too much motion
    Last edited by buttanic; September 17th, 2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool
    Everyone is brave until the roach flies

No sir, I ain't.

User Info Menu

Probably 8x.

I don't know what you are looking to spend, but the Vortex Diamondbacks are pretty good for the price.
    Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have been using Nikon 9x25 compact for hunting and have been very satisfied.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I learned a trick from Steven Rhenella (spelling). He talked about using your ball cap to steady you knockers (as he calls them). It works pretty well for me.

I think distance to target and field of view are major factors. Would you rather have an 8x that has 14 foot field of view at 100yards or a 10 with 17 foot field of view? All other variables equal.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; September 17th, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

8x42 seems to be the gold standard for birding. Easier to lift them up and find the bird once movement is detected. 10x42 is often used as a second pair.