Deer backstrap ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I like mine flattened/tenderized with a mallet and seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper and dipped in seasoned flour. Fried up in shallow HOT oil till browned and then moved to paper towels to soak up any oil. While on paper, salt to your liking. They should not be cooked till like cardboard, though....and it will fall apart in your mouth! Always remove ALL silver skin and cut across the grain for steaks.

They are also good cut into steaks and seasoned up and cooked/seared on a hot grill and served up medium rare.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Wrap in bacon then wrap in aluminum foil. Grill or bake until internal temp is 145. Worst thing to do to venison is to overcook it. And I do similar to Sig220, cut into steaks, pound flat, dip in egg, then in bread crumbs.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I like cutting them 1.5 inch thick rub in oil and seasoning, let it sit for a few hours then grill.

Leave whole season like a brisket and smoke it. Low don’t let it go above a low low medium.

Fried like cube steaks is good too but you can do that with most of the meat from the hind quarters. And that’s not a slight towards hinds.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I can’t imagine eating blackstrap any other way than breaded and fried like a pork chop. To really get the most of that experience, ask your processor to run the intact back through the meat saw. When you cut through the backbone and both sides of the backstrap together you wind up with a ‘butterfly’ steak which looks like a bone-in pork chop. The meat is cut across the grain and lends to easier seasoning and tenderizing. Pull the bone out with ease if so desired.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Butterfly it into steaks, pound them out a little. Take a jalapeno and quarter it, deseed it and stuff that with cream cheese. Wrap the backstrap around the jalapeno. Wrap that with thin bacon and put a toothpick in to hold it. Season it real good with your favor spices. Soak in some italian dressing for a hour or so. Put these on a hot grill and cook until the bacon is cooked and the steaks are medium rare. Eat up!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I can’t imagine eating blackstrap any other way than breaded and fried like a pork chop. To really get the most of that experience, ask your processor to run the intact back through the meat saw. When you cut through the backbone and both sides of the backstrap together you wind up with a ‘butterfly’ steak which looks like a bone-in pork chop. The meat is cut across the grain and lends to easier seasoning and tenderizing. Pull the bone out with ease if so desired.

Ive left the rib on and also taken the ribs, but accept this as a challenge. I’ve been wanting to dedicate a reciprocating saw to my meat processing tools.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm probably too late but I've always trimmed all silver off, cut into about 1/2 inch steaks, soaked in buttermilk and eggs overnight and then dredged in flour seasoned with salt and black pepper before frying in black iron skillet with vegetable oil.
    I check the seasoned flour by eating a small amount of raw flour to see if I can taste the salt and pepper.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I like mine flattened/tenderized with a mallet and seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper and dipped in seasoned flour. Fried up in shallow HOT oil till browned and then moved to paper towels to soak up any oil. While on paper, salt to your liking. They should not be cooked till like cardboard, though....and it will fall apart in your mouth! Always remove ALL silver skin and cut across the grain for steaks.

They are also good cut into steaks and seasoned up and cooked/seared on a hot grill and served up medium rare.

I'm probably too late but I've always trimmed all silver off, cut into about 1/2 inch steaks, soaked in buttermilk and eggs overnight and then dredged in flour seasoned with salt and black pepper before frying in black iron skillet with vegetable oil.
    I check the seasoned flour by eating a small amount of raw flour to see if I can taste the salt and pepper.
    Good point on removing the sinewy before cooking. (Suh-NEW-ee) I hear more people referring to it as ‘silver skin’ nowadays. This is that tough connective tissue that the Indians used to bind their arrowheads and fletching to arrows and other things (think natural cordage). You should remove it from most all red meat.
    Here’s a good trimming technique.

https://youtu.be/kchBGaIoxJ0

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Good point on removing the sinewy before cooking. (Suh-NEW-ee) I hear more people referring to it as ‘silver skin’ nowadays. This is that tough connective tissue that the Indians used to bind their arrowheads and fletching to arrows and other things (think natural cordage). You should remove it from most all red meat.
    Here’s a good trimming technique.

https://youtu.be/kchBGaIoxJ0

Fast cooking yes remove everything you can. But smoking venison low and slow I remove the thick sinew, tendons and tallow.

The hams are a good example if you clean up the outside and smoke it whole on low temps and wrap like you would a brisket the thinner sinew will break down and not impart any bad flavors into the meat but it will help to keep the moisture in.

Deer ribs are really good example also, but most people waste that meat because the sinew and the Tallow. If you remove as much as you can, then par-boil before you smoke them, you can melt the tallow off in the water. And have great flavored ribs without the free chapstick.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I do up as * deer balls*

1/2 to 1* thick chunk, wrapped in bell pepper and onion half layer. Trying for a round appearance, then wrap 2 bacon strips around the entirety perpendicular, hold together with toothpicks. Throw on the grill. Serve with cream cheese Some folks like a jalapeño in the mix too.

They are roughly the size of a baseball when done properly.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I do up as * deer balls*

1/2 to 1* thick chunk, wrapped in bell pepper and onion half layer. Trying for a round appearance, then wrap 2 bacon strips around the entirety perpendicular, hold together with toothpicks. Throw on the grill. Serve with cream cheese Some folks like a jalapeño in the mix too.

They are roughly the size of a baseball when done properly.

venison sure but not with the backstrap!

I had it as venison parmigiana before if you want red gravy. Amazing...

Top Bottom