Boomers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Who uses ATMs anymore? Besides, most banks have two or three ATMs outside nowadays. It's unlikely that all will go down. Plus there are always other ATMs at other banks that you could drive to.

And I don't go to stores frequently. If the power goes out and I was in line to check-out, I'd just leave. But where I live, power rarely goes out as literally everything has underground power.

ATMs? Don’t go to stores? Power?

Were you around for Katrina and Gustav? I live in the geographic center of Baton Rouge and I lost power in both. Eight days for Katrina and 11 from Gustav.

We had no Internet, no cell service, some landlines, no cash and people were driving 2 hours to wait in multi hour lines to get gas.

Since then there have been some improvements to harden communications and power, but when the 100KV+ transmission lines to your city get destroyed there are bad results.

Without power many stores were closed and ones that were open could only take cash - no internet. You couldn’t get gas unless you had cash and you had to find somewhere that had gas and had power. You couldn’t get cash because the banks were closed and the ATMs were down.

Your food goes bad, you worry about having enough cash, you are hot, frustrated and bored. Real information is sketchy.

Then you find out about the looting and rioting. Will it happen to you? Do you have enough ammunition? Are you in a defensible location?

Hotels were filled up in all directions for hundreds of miles.

For the future I hope people have a plan for what they will do the next time there’s no internet, no power, no gas, no banking and no stores. It WILL happen again.

Sadly, 14 years later people are MORE dependent on technology.

We shook our heads at the people who asked “when is the government coming to help me?”

Every “thinking person” should have a plan. Include self-defense in the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I never advocated for not keeping cash handy, but rushing to get cash due to an event isn't the right time.

I will say that there are two good uses for cash:
    1) Drinks/tips at bars.
    2) Emergency situations.

Other than that, it makes sense to use electronic payment methods.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I just want to thank all you young whippersnappers for paying into my retirement fund! Keep it up 'cause I plan to live a long time. Sorry to let you know that the Congress critters raided Social Security, and you won't be able to retire unless you invent an app or video game.

There are other ways, but it requires something far too many xer’s and millennials refuse to try, hard work and sacrifice. I will admit I’m soft compared to my early (I’m broke as hell) adult years. I drove a car with no A/C and a driver window that would roll down for a couple years. Now it’s rare I ride with the windows down because it’s hot. To many people close to my age never learned to be comfortable being uncomfortable so we tried to keep up a lifestyle without the funds nor established credit to successfully achieve it. No one knows how to fix anything so when something goes wrong the credit cards get pounded because they can barely afford the lifestyle to begin with.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I never advocated for not keeping cash handy, but rushing to get cash due to an event isn't the right time.

1) Drinks/tips at bars.
    2) Emergency situations.

what about buying stuff that big brother doesn’t know you bought?

I think I’ve said too much... :hsugh:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.

1) Drinks/tips at bars.
    2) Emergency situations.

My cash has never been 'hacked' or skimmed

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    what about buying stuff that big brother doesn’t know you bought?

I think I’ve said too much... :hsugh:

Valid point. I'll tack that as a 3rd on the list...though Venmo does work pretty well for these instances too ;)

My cash has never been 'hacked' or skimmed

True, but your cash also won't earn the same percentage as carefully picking credit cards to optimize rewards.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I know a lot of boomers that don't know how to do every day tasks that are unrelated to when the technology was created. I also work with boomers that are smarter than most when it comes to modern computer technology. It has nothing to do with when you were born. It's how much you have learned and how much experience you have.

Ironically, most boomers think that experience comes with age, when it doesn't have any relation to age at all.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    How can you use cards or electronic payments when the next disaster knocks out cell towers, power and internet?

Them old ass carbon copy card swiping machines. The boomers should remember those.

https://www.amazon.com/4850-Credit-...t+card+manual+imprinter&qid=1568996056&sr=8-1

I’ll say this, I don’t mind boomers, at all, as long as they know their limitations and accept them(individual limitations). Asking me to come setup some product based on technology they don’t even understand or have any familiarity with kills me. As an example, if I’m setting up your entire house to be a smart home, with light switches, door locks, thermostats, all on apps for remote control and you don’t even know what the App Store is on your iPhone or what your iTunes password is, you shouldn’t be calling me. Learn to crawl in the digital age.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I know a lot of boomers that don't know how to do every day tasks that are unrelated to when the technology was created. I also work with boomers that are smarter than most when it comes to modern computer technology. It has nothing to do with when you were born. It's how much you have learned and how much experience you have.

Ironically, most boomers think that experience comes with age, when it doesn't have any relation to age at all.

It comes down to desire to learn, continuously, even with new technology.

With cash...

Do you think because I'm not 75 that I don't carry cash? :dunno:

Exactly. I carry cash, but I just never spend it unless it's the best option, which rarely presents itself.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    It comes down to desire to learn, continuously, even with new technology.

Exactly. I carry cash, but I just never spend it unless it's the best option, which rarely presents itself.

You better check before you swipe dat spiffy card
    Some of these businesses are adding a 4% charge just for your convenience of using that card....hahaha

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You better check before you swipe dat spiffy card
    Some of these businesses are adding a 4% charge just for your convenience of using that card....hahaha

Ha! No chance that a business like that gets a dime from me. Credit card processing fees are a cost of doing business. Passing them directly on to consumers, directly, is a quick way to lower sales.

Every year I go on two two-week vacations, paid for exclusively with credit card points. This year I will have gone to three continents, seven or eight states, and numerous other trips, all due to leveraging cards and rewards effectively.

The Dave Ramsey method works for some people, but it isn't a good method to make money off of your money.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nah, I just worry that all the “twenty somethings” that seem to live by their phone are going to be lost the next calamity.

I had one show up at my door during a hurricane with no money, no gas, no wallet, no shoes and no drivers license. I asked him who was taking care of his widowed mother. At that moment he became my daughter’s ex-boyfriend.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Nah, I just worry that all the *twenty somethings* that seem to live by their phone are going to be lost the next calamity.

I had one show up at my door during a hurricane with no money, no gas, no wallet, no shoes and no drivers license. I asked him who was taking care of his widowed mother. At that moment he became my daughter’s ex-boyfriend.

Hey, I'm a 'twenty-something' and I agree with you. Every generation is filled with lazy people who aren't prepared for anything.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    With cash...

Do you think because I'm not 75 that I don't know I should carry cash? :dunno:

Fixed it for me.

Went to lunch earlier in this little small town where I work. The credit card machine was down at the buffet. Luckily it’s a small town and I’m a regular there. I will owe them for two buffets next time I see them. :doh:

We didn't even have to have a power outage to see the folly of have no cash in my pocket.

Last edited:

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey, I'm a 'twenty-something' and I agree with you. Every generation is filled with lazy people who aren't prepared for anything.

...and I’m a sexagenarian who uses online banking but prepared to survive without it.

In 1963 the Boy Scouts told me “Be Prepared”. They didn’t tell me when to quit.

It’s unbelievable how many people now (across all age spectrums) that aren’t self-sufficient and are clueless about basic needs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom