Heirloom tomoatoes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Alright, I have a question and wasn't sure where to put it so here it is in the cooking section.

I need some help. I bought two types of heirloom tomatoes recently. Both were Bonnie plants one was bought from Tractor Supply and one was bought from Walmart. I put them in some pots we had and had just recently bought some big bags of miracle grow dirt for the pots. We planted one tomato which we had bought first and it was fine for a bit then it started dying from the bottom up. Did some Google-Fu and found some weird bacteria thing that said it was a goner. Well they were right and it was a goner. Threw the plant and the dirt out in the yard so the bacteria thing didn't hurt anything else.

Well went to Wally World and got another heirloom plant. Different type than the first one. Put it in a different pot with a different bag of dirt and wouldn't you know a few weeks later same thing happened. I am at my wits end I would really like to try growing some heirloom tomatoes to see what the hype is about but can't seem to get them to grow. They were planted in pots on the front porch which gets sunlight all day. I have other plants up there that are doing fine so I am not sure what is happening and was wondering if anyone on here has some insight.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Heirloom tomato plants are likely less resistant to blights, fungus and other things that attack those plants, which is one reason many hybrids were developed. Another is the increased yield. But as many peeps know, seeds of hybrid fruit are useless. But that’s just the start.
    Tomato plants like soil on the acid end of the pH scale. I usually throw out a little soil sulfur (there are also other acidifiers on the market) to decrease the pH. City water is usually more alkaline as well. The potting soil could also be the problem. Whether or not the pH is good for tomatoes, it may harbor whatever promotes disease in those plants. I grew up prepping a garden spot the same way my folks did without always knowing why. Like throwing out lime on a patch of fresh tilled ground ahead of time to ‘sterilize’ the ground. Still not exactly sure what that does, but I suspect it helps remove or kill bacteria and spores that may harm plants. May be that they simply don’t do well in pots for one reason or another.
    The bottom line is, heirloom plants are harder to grow and keep healthy than hybrids. That can be frustrating
    I’ve never tried to grow tomatoes in pots but I’m sure there are a few things to consider, adequate run off of water or inability to retain moisture for very long, less root growth, and other factors will likely make the difference. Maybe the soil type when using pots or even the pots themselves. I’ve seen the hanging type of pots do extremely well.
    I’m not sure what the answer is, but I suspect you’ll find out the same as I usually do, through trial and error.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    NOT trying to hijack but I am giving it a go to grow some tomatoes myself. Had a big one in the fridge going bad so I cut a slice off of it and put it in a pan with potting soil and covered it. Did the same thing with a grape tomatoe. After a few days sprouts started popping up and I waited another several days before I planted about 24 of each in pots. I will be bringing the pots inside soon as I do not have a greenhouse. I have just a few of the grape tomatoe sprouts left along with about 24 of the other sprouts left. Not even sure if these will produce anything but I think they will. Anybody in my area want some seedlings to try their hand at?

Top Bottom