Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech Jobs?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Tech Jobs?

Anyone in IT in South LA? How is the market? Recent graduate from Nicholls in Computer Information Systems, and it seems like much of South LA is in the stone age when it comes to technology. It is hard to find an entry level position in anything.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Old graduate from Nichols in Comp Sci here. Your right that there’s a lot of stuff from the Stone Age still out there. That said, there are jobs continuously cycling through. What are you looking for? What’s your interest, passion? Sometimes for a first job, you have to just get your foot in the door with a good organization to start building your resume. My 2 cents from the other end of the career life cycle.
    Sara mo ki kara ochiru

Marksman

User Info Menu

There are jobs but it is a comparatively small market. Suggest looking into jobs that have larger markets. You can always come back. Good luck.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john17427 View Post
    Old graduate from Nichols in Comp Sci here. Your right that there’s a lot of stuff from the Stone Age still out there. That said, there are jobs continuously cycling through. What are you looking for? What’s your interest, passion? Sometimes for a first job, you have to just get your foot in the door with a good organization to start building your resume. My 2 cents from the other end of the career life cycle.
    Im really interested in networking and would like to branch out into Security when the opportunity arises.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tiollib View Post
    Im really interested in networking and would like to branch out into Security when the opportunity arises.
    Look at police/sheriff departments, all have some sort of IT office. Probably lower pay than you deserve, or would get in the outside world, but you'd get some valuable experience and I bet there's plenty of jobs out there.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Look into IBM or Cox in Baton Rouge.

If you are interested in tech, Dallas and Houston are absolutely Booming with tech jobs.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

User Info Menu

The MSP I work for is hiring techs right now: http://jobs.puryear-it.com/apply/QAW...ort-Technician

Privateer

User Info Menu

Try the petro chemical plants. Most have security and process networks.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arcomm3 View Post
    Try the petro chemical plants. Most have security and process networks.
    Plants are not so big into hiring IT as engineering firms and automation groups with offshore rigs. They always need network people.

User Info Menu

PM me I may be able to assist. I'm in the recruiting & IT world.