Almost paramedic looking to do some gator hunting in Lousiana.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    Hi folks,

I am new to this forum as I am new to this area. I am in town for the next 6 weeks to finish up my paramedic program with East Baton Rouge EMS and I would love to do some gator hunting while I'm here. I know the season is almost up and I know that as a non resident I can't get a gator hunting license. I can however get a sport hunter license to go with a licensed gator hunter and that's what I'm hoping to do.

Do any of y'all hunt gators? If you haven't tagged out already would you be willing to take a westerner out and show me the ropes? I can't afford to hire a guide but I did bring some prime Oregon fur to trade for the experience.

Thanks for your time.

Casey

DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    I have a lot of woods experience, FWIW. Anyone that takes me out will receive the same in kind if you ever want to hunt or trap up in Oregon.

IMG_7878 (2).jpgIMG_6777 (3).jpgIMG_6663 (2).jpgIMG_2961 (2).jpgIMG_2826.jpgIMG_2816.jpgIMG_2202.jpgIMG_4979.jpgIMG_2624.jpgIMG_1552.jpg

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Nice,Woods and Swamps don't go together...hahaha,Look in Louisiana sportsman magazine on-line,You may find what your looking for,Gators btw are ambush hunters!

DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    Nice,Woods and Swamps don't go together...hahaha,Look in Louisiana sportsman magazine on-line,You may find what your looking for,Gators btw are ambush hunters!

thank you for the tip, i will check them out.

A long time ago I was stationed in Florida and did quite a bit of hunting in the swamps along the Suwanee River. I might not of grown up here but That doesn’t mean i can’t keep up. I’ll have to look for more photos from those days when I get home tonight

Attachments

• 9066FC42-E10D-40A7-9574-E1D4D16D3D10.jpg
      9066FC42-E10D-40A7-9574-E1D4D16D3D10.jpg
      254.5 KB · Views: 81
    • 7A23B649-D134-464A-ADA6-0DDE07029754.jpg
      7A23B649-D134-464A-ADA6-0DDE07029754.jpg
      239.8 KB · Views: 81

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I really like the chest rigs you use. Been kinda toying with the idea of getting one. What preferences do you have?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    I really like the chest rigs you use. Been kinda toying with the idea of getting one. What preferences do you have?

For binoculars and basic accessories i really like the FHF Gear bino harness. It holds binoculars securely and doesn’t get in the way like the larger options out there. It also has flat straps that are wide enough to distribute the weight on your shoulders but since they are thin webbing you can wear them under a pack all day long.

The pistol holsters are made made by a local maker in Bend Oregon called Tracker Leather i believe.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    My dad sells hunts, pm me if interested. I dont know if what his schedule is like this week as the season is ending soon.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I work at EBR EMS in HQ. I'd love to hear about some of your hunts. We got quite a few guys that work here that hunt a lot and several own camps. I don't know if any do gator hunts though.

DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    My dad sells hunts, pm me if interested. I dont know if what his schedule is like this week as the season is ending soon.

i appreciate the offer, but like i said in my original post, i can’t afford the $500+ to got on a guided gator hunt.

I’m looking for someone that’ll take me out just like i would take you out if you posted something about coyote or bobcat or deer hunting in Oregon.

Casey

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    i appreciate the offer, but like i said in my original post, i can’t afford the $500+ to got on a guided gator hunt.

I’m looking for someone that’ll take me out just like i would take you out if you posted something about coyote or bobcat or deer hunting in Oregon.

Casey

Hows about,Hi my name is Casey,Will work for a Gator hunt !

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You're running out of time, but here is a long shot.

Call wildlife & fisheries fur and reptile division and see if wild gator tag holder's names are public record. They should be. If so, see how much info is attached to the record; cell #?, email? The more tags a landowner has, the more likely he still has some left. If you get in touch with any of them, tell them you will work with them as an extra back or pair of hands. It looks like fun to most lay people, but it is definitely work. If you can skin them, even better.

Gator hunting is a misnomer. You are not actually hunting them as much as you are checking bait lines. To a guy with a lot of tags it is work. By that same logic above, if you get someone that is winding down the season, tell them you will be willing to help pick up their gear on the last run if they let you tag along.

Like I said, it's a long shot. But I will leave you with this Emperor's "original" quote; "A coin can land heads or tails; but only if tossed!"

Good Luck!

DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    I work at EBR EMS in HQ. I'd love to hear about some of your hunts. We got quite a few guys that work here that hunt a lot and several own camps. I don't know if any do gator hunts though.

I love swapping hunting stories. I was out hog hunting yesterday and today. Spent some time running coon with another medic from EBR EMS and his boy last night. I'll send you a PM with my number.

DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    You're running out of time, but here is a long shot.

Call wildlife & fisheries fur and reptile division and see if wild gator tag holder's names are public record. They should be. If so, see how much info is attached to the record; cell #?, email? The more tags a landowner has, the more likely he still has some left. If you get in touch with any of them, tell them you will work with them as an extra back or pair of hands. It looks like fun to most lay people, but it is definitely work. If you can skin them, even better.

Gator hunting is a misnomer. You are not actually hunting them as much as you are checking bait lines. To a guy with a lot of tags it is work. By that same logic above, if you get someone that is winding down the season, tell them you will be willing to help pick up their gear on the last run if they let you tag along.

Like I said, it's a long shot. But I will leave you with this Emperor's "original" quote; "A coin can land heads or tails; but only if tossed!"

Good Luck!

Thank you for the idea. I got some gator biologist numbers from a visit to the HQ here in BR but didn't think to ask for what you've suggested. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again man, I appreciate it.

DevilDiver223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    Well folks, It looks like i've about run out of time. Thanks for everyone who tried to help make this happen.

Casey

Top Bottom