Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Marksman

User Info Menu

Any got experience with topo mapping.

I知 trying to overlay gps tracks over a topo. The problem I知 have is it appears every time the gps was turn on or off it痴 adding a straight line to the tracks when imported. I知 either the smartest of dumbest when it comes to this sort of thing but I知 stumped. I could probably manually edit the file as a csv if I could figure out what lines to edit but I知 not sure what lines are the problem.

On Target

User Info Menu

What kind of Hardware/Software are you using? What is the source data? Maybe give a screen shot of what you are trying to accomplish.

I have a little experience in mapping (mainly hydrographic type stuff), not real sure if i can help.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andysteb View Post
    What kind of Hardware/Software are you using? What is the source data? Maybe give a screen shot of what you are trying to accomplish.

I have a little experience in mapping (mainly hydrographic type stuff), not real sure if i can help.
    All the tracks I have have been recorded on an iPhone using using Motion X or Maps 3D. And I’m importing a gpx file to Caltopo. It seems when the file stops and stops it creates straight lines. I’m mapping my deer camp and me an another member have mapped everything using GPS but we are trying to make a camp map. It’s weird the extra lines don’t show up in the GPS apps but they do on caltopo and either Google or HuntStand can’t remember.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; September 21st, 2019 at 01:56 PM.

On Target

User Info Menu

I edited the data you sent me. The data was organized as one track with many segments. Your GPS app knows what to do with all the segments but the mapping software doesn't, so it connects them all together. I rewrote the file with multiple tracks instead of one long track.

Oldie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I edited the data you sent me. The data was organized as one track with many segments. Your GPS app knows what to do with all the segments but the mapping software doesn't, so it connects them all together. I rewrote the file with multiple tracks instead of one long track.
    I am really glad someone helped.
    I knew my experience with a transit, surveyors chain, linen drafting sheets and rapid-o-graph pens would not help with this--ah yes, another baby boomer.
    I'm impressed with the number of knowledgeable people on this site.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." T. Roosevelt

The Boy Scouts told me to "Be Prepared" and I swore an oath "On My Honor..."
    I also swore an oath for the Army to "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies..." .
    Neither one told me when to stop.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks again

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone1970 View Post
    I am really glad someone helped.
    I knew my experience with a transit, surveyors chain, linen drafting sheets and rapid-o-graph pens would not help with this--ah yes, another baby boomer.
    I'm impressed with the number of knowledgeable people on this site.
    Yeah the knowledge base here is always impressive. This was my first stop when I realized I need a second more talented set of eyes. I may have trial and errors my way to it but it wouldn’t have been without major aggravation.

On Target

User Info Menu

Glad to lend a helping hand.