Any got experience with topo mapping.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m trying to overlay gps tracks over a topo. The problem I’m have is it appears every time the gps was turn on or off it’s adding a straight line to the tracks when imported. I’m either the smartest of dumbest when it comes to this sort of thing but I’m stumped. I could probably manually edit the file as a csv if I could figure out what lines to edit but I’m not sure what lines are the problem.

andysteb

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 27, 2017
    Hahnville, la
    What kind of Hardware/Software are you using? What is the source data? Maybe give a screen shot of what you are trying to accomplish.

I have a little experience in mapping (mainly hydrographic type stuff), not real sure if i can help.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    What kind of Hardware/Software are you using? What is the source data? Maybe give a screen shot of what you are trying to accomplish.

I have a little experience in mapping (mainly hydrographic type stuff), not real sure if i can help.

All the tracks I have have been recorded on an iPhone using using Motion X or Maps 3D. And I’m importing a gpx file to Caltopo. It seems when the file stops and stops it creates straight lines. I’m mapping my deer camp and me an another member have mapped everything using GPS but we are trying to make a camp map. It’s weird the extra lines don’t show up in the GPS apps but they do on caltopo and either Google or HuntStand can’t remember.

Last edited:

andysteb

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 27, 2017
    Hahnville, la
    I edited the data you sent me. The data was organized as one track with many segments. Your GPS app knows what to do with all the segments but the mapping software doesn't, so it connects them all together. I rewrote the file with multiple tracks instead of one long track.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I edited the data you sent me. The data was organized as one track with many segments. Your GPS app knows what to do with all the segments but the mapping software doesn't, so it connects them all together. I rewrote the file with multiple tracks instead of one long track.

I am really glad someone helped.
    I knew my experience with a transit, surveyors chain, linen drafting sheets and rapid-o-graph pens would not help with this--ah yes, another baby boomer.
    I'm impressed with the number of knowledgeable people on this site.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I am really glad someone helped.
    I knew my experience with a transit, surveyors chain, linen drafting sheets and rapid-o-graph pens would not help with this--ah yes, another baby boomer.
    I'm impressed with the number of knowledgeable people on this site.

Yeah the knowledge base here is always impressive. This was my first stop when I realized I need a second more talented set of eyes. I may have trial and errors my way to it but it wouldn’t have been without major aggravation.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom