Border to Border, labeeman cranks out the coastal grand slam

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    As the week grew to a close the coastal forecast was looking pretty bad. They were calling for east winds at 10-20 and possibly some rain. This is not the kind of forecast that inspires confidence for a good fishing trip for sure, but hey you know the old saying * you can’t catch fish in your living room* so Friday afternoon I loaded the truck and down to Grand Isle we went.
    When we hit the island my wife and I walked out to the beach and as soon as we got out there we knew the forecast was spot on. The waves on the chocolate brown gulf were 3-4 feet high and hitting the beach in rapid succession. The wind was whipping sand around like a sand blaster. As we woke the next morning the wind was not as bad but still blowing harder than I like, but after a few cups of coffee we were ready to go. I made the last minute check, battery, ice, rods, net, yup all there let’s go. We always try to find live bait but that was not happening this morning, so bait shrimp and artificial it was.
    We passed the Elmer’s Island road going north on Hwy 1, then passed the 2 bridges and launched on the west side of LA1 just pass the second bridge.
    My wife started out using the bait shrimp and I started out using a Matrix Shad paddle style bait in a basic avocado color with red and black flecks. My wife picked up the usual catfish right off the bat and it wasn’t long before the bee man latched on to a nice red that turned into quite the battle. The reel I was using still had the 10 lb test line on it which later on in the day would be broken by two other reds. To make a long story shorter I ended up catching reds, flounders and specks. My wife also got going a little later in the day and caught two nice reds and some specs to help fill the small live well on my little creek boat. The wind did blow and the rain showers passed over us but we hung in there and ended up having a very nice trip. Like I said before, I had some light line to be battling reds and had two break off as I tried to reel them to the boat which leads to this crazy ending to the fishing trip. Right after I broke off on one of the fish, my wife caught and landed a beautiful red. I’m always happy to see her catch as she gets better and better at fishing every time we go out. The crazy part is as I’m cleaning the red she caught, I always check their stomach to see what they were feeding on (you can see where I’m going with this), I see a crab and yes, my bait that I broke off fighting the fish. That must have been one hungry red to go after some bait shrimp right after breaking my line. All in all it turned into a great fishing trip and more memories burned into my mind.
    811457a168bee34f3289895591a182ec.jpg
    8d2ed0131188b242a8170c2586c5af38.jpg
    908dc75fa2353c820a41e59e06059dd5.jpg
    e3dc29bd914fe92f46ce8c243485f441.jpg
    e13e03521e7b73e9403c9f4f2a24c9b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks. Y’all gonna make a little syrup this year? Hope your crop is where you want it to be this year. They are wrapping up planting and getting ready to crank up grinding in these parts. For the most part the crop looks good.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Be careful with the waves Labeeman, I want your travelogs to continue. Nice to see that your wife is included. If you read other blogs you know the quote "I'm sure she's taken" applies nicely :)

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Nice! Like hunting, seems like when everyone else decides it’s too nasty out that’s the time to go. Looks like that boat is really working out for you guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. We were no where near any big waves. The marsh was smooth and easy to navigate. I’m pretty careful now a days as I want to enjoy many more years in the field.

Top Bottom