I’m afraid my manners will be my downfall

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Lol,I'm not sticking around to verify that for you old buddy !

So just go around telling people to fire warning shots into the pavement... old buddy.

I like to think there was a bit of comedy intended in Gators post.

1v5j37w637zxm6ywzs4o.jpg

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ok to get things back on track here. Some of you guys suggested shining a suspect who continues to approach. Depending on the light, I could see someone attempting to press assault charges or something for shining them.

Anyone think this could be a problem. I mean it would have to be a high intensity light to be plausible.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I don't think you would have to shine it directly in their face, chest level would probably be enough to make them wonder WTF? I like this flashlight option, I will have to look into one. Heck, they are cheap and bright these days.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok to get things back on track here. Some of you guys suggested shining a suspect who continues to approach. Depending on the light, I could see someone attempting to press assault charges or something for shining them.

Anyone think this could be a problem. I mean it would have to be a high intensity light to be plausible.

"Police, I want to press charges on him."
    "What did he do?"
    "He shined a flashlight at me."

Assault defined - Assault is an attempt to commit a battery, or the intentional placing of another in reasonable apprehension of receiving a battery.
    Battery defined - Battery is the intentional use of force or violence upon the person of another; or the intentional administration of a poison or other noxious liquid or substance to another.

No, I don't believe it would be a problem. I can't see a reasonable person make the jump from having a light shined on you to have force used against you. The only real exception would be if the light were attached to a weapon.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    "Police, I want to press charges on him."
    "What did he do?"
    "He shined a flashlight at me."

Assault defined - Assault is an attempt to commit a battery, or the intentional placing of another in reasonable apprehension of receiving a battery.
    Battery defined - Battery is the intentional use of force or violence upon the person of another; or the intentional administration of a poison or other noxious liquid or substance to another.

No, I don't believe it would be a problem. I can't see a reasonable person make the jump from having a light shined on you to have force used against you. The only real exception would be if the light were attached to a weapon.

You aren’t concerned shining a light that could cause short term flash blindness into someone’s eyes could be considered force or violence?

If in an obvious self defense scenario I’m sure you’ve got no problems, but if someone was a little too fast or even misinterpreted someone’s intentions and caused temporary vision loss (physically harmed someone) I could see consequences. Now is it possible to cause anything other than short term disorientation with a flashlight? I don’t know.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You aren’t concerned shining a light that could cause short term flash blindness into someone’s eyes could be considered force or violence?

If in an obvious self defense scenario I’m sure you’ve got no problems, but if someone was a little too fast or even misinterpreted someone’s intentions and caused temporary vision loss (physically harmed someone) I could see consequences. Now is it possible to cause anything other than short term disorientation with a flashlight? I don’t know.

No, no, and no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

When you are driving at night and the car in the opposite lane is driving toward you with his brights on, do you make a u-turn and go make a citizen's arrest?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    When you are driving at night and the car in the opposite lane is driving toward you with his brights on, do you make a u-turn and go make a citizen's arrest?

The sun should be charged with assault every day...

While I appreciate the satire. It’s the combination of light emitted, the concentration and focus of the light and where it’s aimed. Flash photography among other sources are known to damage the retina. Shining wildlife is already a crime in many states. It’s admittedly being used a weapon to stop a potential attack. If the would be attacker wasn’t actually going to attack you then you wouldn’t be defending yourself, you would be ‘attacking him with weaponized light’ (new demon for the left to attack as soon as the get all those pesky guns :noes:).

And to some degree I’m playing the white devils advocate here (miss you Mr. Walton), because I surely wouldn’t try to charge anyone for that, but if my feeble mind can make the connection surely some scumbag who thinks defending yourself should be a crime and happens to be better at arguing than me surely could.

Top Bottom