I’m afraid my manners will be my downfall

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    While I appreciate the satire. It’s the combination of light emitted, the concentration and focus of the light and where it’s aimed. Flash photography among other sources are known to damage the retina. Shining wildlife is already a crime in many states. It’s admittedly being used a weapon to stop a potential attack. If the would be attacker wasn’t actually going to attack you then you wouldn’t be defending yourself, you would be ‘attacking him with weaponized light’ (new demon for the left to attack as soon as the get all those pesky guns :noes:).

And to some degree I’m playing the white devils advocate here (miss you Mr. Walton), because I surely wouldn’t try to charge anyone for that, but if my feeble mind can make the connection surely some scumbag who thinks defending yourself should be a crime and happens to be better at arguing than me surely could.

You are seriously blowing this way out of proportion. You have had LEO tell you that you wouldn’t be charged but you are still going on about it. You have a choice to either shine the dang light or not, only you can make that monumental(apparently) decision. Can we please move on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    You are seriously blowing this way out of proportion. You have had LEO tell you that you wouldn’t be charged but you are still going on about it. You have a choice to either shine the dang light or not, only you can make that monumental(apparently) decision. Can we please move on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I enjoy the back and forth. I have put forth a reasonable argument albeit whiny as hell. If this was England it would definitely be a criminal act.

Lighten up it’s just the internet. :D

ekUxBrB.jpg

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    While I appreciate the satire. It’s the combination of light emitted, the concentration and focus of the light and where it’s aimed. Flash photography among other sources are known to damage the retina. Shining wildlife is already a crime in many states. It’s admittedly being used a weapon to stop a potential attack. If the would be attacker wasn’t actually going to attack you then you wouldn’t be defending yourself, you would be ‘attacking him with weaponized light’ (new demon for the left to attack as soon as the get all those pesky guns :noes:).

And to some degree I’m playing the white devils advocate here (miss you Mr. Walton), because I surely wouldn’t try to charge anyone for that, but if my feeble mind can make the connection surely some scumbag who thinks defending yourself should be a crime and happens to be better at arguing than me surely could.

I wasn't being satirical. You get lights shined into your eyes all the time. The oncoming car with their brights on is a common example. On a 2 lane road, the concentration and the focus of the light is comparable to a flashlight. It's a traffic violation but it's not a criminal charge because it's an inconvenience and a safety issue while driving but there's no physical harm, despite you attempts to stretch it into one. And in your combination of things that could cause damage to your retina, you left out the duration of the exposure to the light. That's a very important omission.

It's illegal to hunt deer during certain hours in Louisiana, typically from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunset. I don't believe it's the spotlighting itself that's illegal. It's the hunting during the times when a spotlight would be effective. I've seen where people caught spotlighting have been charged with hunting during illegal hours and/or hunting from a roadway but I've never seen a charge for the spotlighting itself. Perhaps you can provide the statute to back up your claim.

You're more than welcome to play devil's advocate. The stuff your feeble mind is coming up with is amateur at best. You're not making connections because there are no connections to be made.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It’s not about understanding about violet people. It’s finding a balance between being assertive enough and being an A-hole.

Beware the violet people.

Yea... uh... if someone is approaching me and I have no desire to be approached, I'm gonna do whatever I want to ensure they understand I don't want to be approached.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I wasn't being satirical. You get lights shined into your eyes all the time. The oncoming car with their brights on is a common example. On a 2 lane road, the concentration and the focus of the light is comparable to a flashlight. It's a traffic violation but it's not a criminal charge because it's an inconvenience and a safety issue while driving but there's no physical harm, despite you attempts to stretch it into one. And in your combination of things that could cause damage to your retina, you left out the duration of the exposure to the light. That's a very important omission.

It's illegal to hunt deer during certain hours in Louisiana, typically from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunset. I don't believe it's the spotlighting itself that's illegal. It's the hunting during the times when a spotlight would be effective. I've seen where people caught spotlighting have been charged with hunting during illegal hours and/or hunting from a roadway but I've never seen a charge for the spotlighting itself. Perhaps you can provide the statute to back up your claim.

You're more than welcome to play devil's advocate. The stuff your feeble mind is coming up with is amateur at best. You're not making connections because there are no connections to be made.

There are a couple sections about use of light in both the MS Code and MDWFP regs. That refer to ‘head-lighting’ or shining as unlawful harassment of wildlife not just hunting. It’s in Title 49. It’s also mentioned in relation to right of ways and public roads in title 40.

Automotive headlights focus on a wide area and are generally no pointed directly into ones eyes additionally auto glass contains UV filters that provide protection to your eyes.

Look I’m keenly aware how silly the argument sounds that shining someone would be considered assault but we live in a silly world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...on-man-arrested-killing-burglar-self-defense/

Look at the states that have ‘duty of retreat’ laws.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/self-defense-terms/duty-to-retreat/

Let’s not forget hate crime and speech laws are on the rise globally.

And if anyone was wondering the best defense to a ‘weaponized light’ (#lights of war) is to close your eyes and look away.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yea... uh... if someone is approaching me and I have no desire to be approached, I'm gonna do whatever I want to ensure they understand I don't want to be approached.

It definitely should be a balance. Its pretty evident in a lot of my posts I’m not very concerned with offending people with my opinions, but it’s not ok to mistreat people. I obviously don’t have it down pat; that was the point of the post. Additionally I don’t know about you but I have kids who watch and mimic some of the good stuff they see me do, but almost all the bad. I would hate to see my kid treat a little friend with such distain.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It definitely should be a balance. Its pretty evident in a lot of my posts I’m not very concerned with offending people with my opinions, but it’s not ok to mistreat people. I obviously don’t have it down pat; that was the point of the post. Additionally I don’t know about you but I have kids who watch and mimic some of the good stuff they see me do, but almost all the bad. I would hate to see my kid treat a little friend with such distain.

Who is being mistreated?

If I'm minding my business and someone feels the need to get in my business, I can do as I please. If I want to be left alone, it will be known. Whether that is through verbal commands or melting someone's face with the power of the sun, I will use whatever means necessary to ensure that person understands I want nothing to do with them.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are a couple sections about use of light in both the MS Code and MDWFP regs. That refer to ‘head-lighting’ or shining as unlawful harassment of wildlife not just hunting. It’s in Title 49. It’s also mentioned in relation to right of ways and public roads in title 40.

I don't live in Mississippi so their laws do not affect me and my actions for 99.9% of the time I would be in a situation where I might have occasion to use a flashlight.

Automotive headlights focus on a wide area and are generally no pointed directly into ones eyes additionally auto glass contains UV filters that provide protection to your eyes.

The amount and intensity of light received by the eye does not diminish to zero because the light is not directly aimed at the eye. If that were the case, you can simply aim the flashlight at the person's chest and any possible "physical harm" goes away.

Look I’m keenly aware how silly the argument sounds that shining someone would be considered assault but we live in a silly world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...on-man-arrested-killing-burglar-self-defense/

It doesn't appear he used a flashlight to kill the burglar.

Look at the states that have ‘duty of retreat’ laws.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/self-defense-terms/duty-to-retreat/

Let’s not forget hate crime and speech laws are on the rise globally.

And if anyone was wondering the best defense to a ‘weaponized light’ (#lights of war) is to close your eyes and look away.

While I cannot speak for everyone, I'm pretty sure I can say most people weren't wondering anything about a "weaponized light." The phrase has so far been ignored. I would be surprised if your repeating the term causes others to decides to use it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I don't live in Mississippi so their laws do not affect me and my actions for 99.9% of the time I would be in a situation where I might have occasion to use a flashlight.

Well I’m on the other side of that coin. Oh and you’re welcome for the lists in which y’all don’t take 50th place. We do what we can over here.

The amount and intensity of light received by the eye does not diminish to zero because the light is not directly aimed at the eye. If that were the case, you can simply aim the flashlight at the person's chest and any possible "physical harm" goes away.

True

It doesn't appear he used a flashlight to kill the burglar.

But it’s some upside down crap none the less.

While I cannot speak for everyone, I'm pretty sure I can say most people weren't wondering anything about a "weaponized light." The phrase has so far been ignored. I would be surprised if your repeating the term causes others to decides to use it.

Come on I guarantee you with little to no effort we can get ‘#weaponized light’ and ‘#lights of war’ trending.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Who is being mistreated?

If I'm minding my business and someone feels the need to get in my business, I can do as I please. If I want to be left alone, it will be known. Whether that is through verbal commands or melting someone's face with the power of the sun, I will use whatever means necessary to ensure that person understands I want nothing to do with them.

The guy you assaulted with you dangerous ‘weaponized light’. #panhandler lives matter

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I’ve handled a lot of strange calls and complaints in the past decade. Never have I heard of one complaint / charge for shinning a light at someone.

Also, the probability that bum asking for a hand out is going to escalate the encounter......pretty close to ZERO. The criminal often pick a soft target....elderly/female/millennials/effeminate skinny-jean wearing male-ish types. Or strike unsuspectingly, quick and usually with a gun pointed at you.

Situational awareness is probably the best defense anyone can have.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    This.

Another thing that helps is to forcefully tell them to back up. These people are used to people trying to tell them no, or giving a sad story back about why they can't give them cash. If they keep coming, after being told to backup, 1,000 lumens to the face is a decent deterrent. Anyone who keeps approaching after that is just stupid.

:hi5:

Now I need to purchase a compact 1,000/+ Lumen flashlight.

Top Bottom