I’m afraid my manners will be my downfall

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    It definitely should be a balance. Its pretty evident in a lot of my posts I’m not very concerned with offending people with my opinions, but it’s not ok to mistreat people. I obviously don’t have it down pat; that was the point of the post. Additionally I don’t know about you but I have kids who watch and mimic some of the good stuff they see me do, but almost all the bad. I would hate to see my kid treat a little friend with such distain.

I think you are correct in the balance aspect needed here. I have a close friend who is a retired NOPD detective. He is one of the most friendly people I have ever met, but he observes/sees everything and can switch into full alert mode in an instant if needed. For those of us who didn't spend 40+ years in the bad neighborhoods of New Orleans, I think reminding oneself of the balance needed and doing our best to practice that is the answer.

I do like the bright light idea.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well I’m on the other side of that coin. Oh and you’re welcome for the lists in which y’all don’t take 50th place. We do what we can over here.

So are the "no spotlighting" laws for hunting in place in Mississippi because they cause undue physical harm to the animals?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    source.gif

one MILLION lumens :dogkeke:

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I didn't author them but I do believe spotlighting can have a deleterious affect on wildlife.

I think the extremes to which things are being taken are having that “deleterious” effect on my mental health. We’re talking about roughly the amount of lumens albeit concentrated of a 75 watt incandescent light bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think the extremes to which things are being taken are having that *deleterious* effect on my mental health. We’re talking about roughly the amount of lumens albeit concentrated of a 75 watt incandescent light bulb.

That's why I only use 60 watt bulbs. They don't cause physical harm the way those high capacity 75 watt bulbs do.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I think the extremes to which things are being taken are having that *deleterious* effect on my mental health. We’re talking about roughly the amount of lumens albeit concentrated of a 75 watt incandescent light bulb.

Bro my online musings are meant for entertainment. I regret any harm they have caused to your mood.

I believe most people have me figured out.

But yeah if you take nothing else seriously all day (which I imagine most won’t), there are reasons why I believe shining is bad for a lot of wildlife. If anyone is interested I will get serious for a minute or two

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Is the deleterious "affect" physical?
    Effectively yes it can be. I would say it’s a cumulative affect more than directly related to the light itself.

1. Their eyes are effected by light even more than ours are, light is reflected and absorbed twice in a white tail’s eye. So 1000 lumens looks like 2000. Also they don’t have UV filters like we do. Because of how they see light unexpected light being shine on them can be a major stressor, in addition to what ever an effective 2000 lumens shining into their eyes does to them.

2. Also a lot of wildlife prefer to sleep at night. Often they are moving at night due to disruptions in their habitat, human pressure or predation. If they are out feeding past dark you are adding another stressor to their environment by shining them. If you are jumping them up off their beds well how does lack of sleep effect you?

Now I’m no dummy deer feed on the side of the road at night all the time and get shined because they are in the path of oncoming headlights, but whitetail deer are one of the most adaptive creatures God ever made. But introducing added stress because you are in an environment they aren’t used to you being in with a light that they can’t help but stare at is definitely something I would say is not beneficial to wildlife.

I was once discussing with a wildlife biologist for a WMA about hunting feral hogs and predators in the spring time and how it didn’t make sense that you couldn’t hunt wma’s during the time after deer and before turkey seasons. If they wanted to do something about the hog problem (hunting alone doesn’t do anything) surely they would open up the wma’s during those months. He quickly reminded me that the spring was a crucial time for wildlife and the less pressure on them the better.

Last edited:

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Bro my online musings are meant for entertainment. I regret any harm they have caused to your mood.

But yeah if you take nothing else seriously all day (which I imagine most won’t), there are reasons why I believe shining is bad for a lot of wildlife. If anyone is interested I will get serious for a minute or two

We’re all good. Surely you could see through my words about my mental health and the lack of seriousness in the statement.

I have to admit I usually find your commentary interesting, but this post baffles me from the “let’s be overly cautious not to offend a stranger encroaching in your personal space against your wishes when you have your 2 year old” to the “is shining a flashlight at someone a crime” when our resident LEOs where very clear on the answer, at least jn LA.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Your inability to have a serious discussion is indicative of your overall lackadaisical attitude and will most likely be your downfall, not your manners.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    We’re all good. Surely you could see through my words about my mental health and the lack of seriousness in the statement.

I have to admit I usually find your commentary interesting, but this post baffles me from the *let’s be overly cautious not to offend a stranger encroaching in your personal space against your wishes when you have your 2 year old* to the *is shining a flashlight at someone a crime* when our resident LEOs where very clear on the answer, at least jn LA.

Well I guess I got a taste of my one medicine there.

The stranger approaching me did actually happen and I was baffled and quite concerned about how long I allowed the encounter to go on. I honestly don’t know why I didn’t assert myself more than I did. He never invaded my person space and never gave me any overt cause to suspect he would harm me, but the circumstances were extremely uncomfortable.

I don’t believe it would be a criminal act to shine someone however misreading someone’s intentions and shining someone by mistake would be a lousy thing to do. Just like barking orders at anyone in a 10foot radius would be. Being vigilant and assertive are good but being a hyper vigilant jerk not so much. I’m not sure where that is for me.

If he had continued to approach within the length of my bedside I'm certain I would have flipped a switch (so advancing into my personal space is probably my tipping point), but allowing him to continue talking after stopping him twice benefited no one and increased the risk of something bad happening.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Your inability to have a serious discussion is indicative of your overall lackadaisical attitude and will most likely be your downfall, not your manners.

Nah it’s good for my stress level which is good for my health.

But it takes a keen eye to separate the bull$h!t and buckwheat with me sometimes. Trolls don’t just live under bridges any more.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Effectively yes it can be. I would say it’s a cumulative affect more than directly related to the light itself.

1. Their eyes are effected by light even more than ours are, light is reflected and absorbed twice in a white tail’s eye. So 1000 lumens looks like 2000. Also they don’t have UV filters like we do. Because of how they see light unexpected light being shine on them can be a major stressor, in addition to what ever an effective 2000 lumens shining into their eyes does to them.

2. Also a lot of wildlife prefer to sleep at night. Often they are moving at night due to disruptions in their habitat, human pressure or predation. If they are out feeding past dark you are adding another stressor to their environment by shining them. If you are jumping them up off their beds well how does lack of sleep effect you?

Now I’m no dummy deer feed on the side of the road at night all the time and get shined because they are in the path of oncoming headlights, but whitetail deer are one of the most adaptive creatures God ever made. But introducing added stress because you are in an environment they aren’t used to you being in with a light that they can’t help but stare at is definitely something I would say is not beneficial to wildlife.

I was once discussing with a wildlife biologist for a WMA about hunting feral hogs and predators in the spring time and how it didn’t make sense that you couldn’t hunt wma’s during the time after deer and before turkey seasons. If they wanted to do something about the hog problem (hunting alone doesn’t do anything) surely they would open up the wma’s during those months. He quickly reminded me that the spring was a crucial time for wildlife and the less pressure on them the better.

So deer can't help but stare at the light and the light looks twice as bright. And the light stresses them out. Seems like these don't translate to humans so we can disregard that aspect of your devil's advocate argument.

The spectrum of playing devil's advocate goes from making a good point to reaching to make a point to now that's just stupid. Where on the spectrum do you feel you are now?

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So deer can't help but stare at the light and the light looks twice as bright. And the light stresses them out. Seems like these don't translate to humans so we can disregard that aspect of your devil's advocate argument.

The spectrum of playing devil's advocate goes from making a good point to reaching to make a point to now that's just stupid. Where on the spectrum do you feel you are at now?

I’m feeling pretty good. I busted my own argument earlier when I explained the best defense from a light attack is to close your eyes and look away.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

The spectrum of playing devil's advocate goes from making a good point to reaching to make a point to now that's just stupid. Where on the spectrum do you feel you are now?

This thread seems to have run its course.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So I’m not sure if this makes me want to troll more or less.:eek3:

Ok to get things back on track here. Some of you guys suggested shining a suspect who continues to approach. Depending on the light, I could see someone attempting to press assault charges or something for shining them.

Anyone think this could be a problem. I mean it would have to be a high intensity light to be plausible.

You aren’t concerned shining a light that could cause short term flash blindness into someone’s eyes could be considered force or violence?

If in an obvious self defense scenario I’m sure you’ve got no problems, but if someone was a little too fast or even misinterpreted someone’s intentions and caused temporary vision loss (physically harmed someone) I could see consequences. Now is it possible to cause anything other than short term disorientation with a flashlight? I don’t know.

Ok then you have spoken.

But seriously if you guys say it’s more than just a stretch to call shining someone assault it makes me feel pretty good about it as a deterrent.

Just in case anyone was unsure what I’ve been up to.

Top Bottom