Police Seize 15 firearms from group filming rap video in Baton Rouge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your right police are experts in firearms just like the 37yr retired Lieutenant General of the Army who said the AR-15 has "full semi-automatic." If it comes from a higher authority it must be factual. It's all speculation at this point since none of us was involved in the seizure.

Just because the BRPD and the Lieutenant General of the Army both wear uniforms does not mean they must share the same knowledge, or lack of knowledge, of firearms. That's a logical fallacy known as a weak analogy. Two things sharing one property does not mean they share a different property. And I'm not saying it's factual because it comes from a higher authority. (That's a fallacy aptly named appeal to authority.) In fact, I haven't said it was factual at all. All I said was the reporter said it came directly from BRPD

No, none of us were involved in the seizure. The only thing we have is information relayed from someone who may be more knowledgeable than any of us. But not being able to prove the information is true is not proof the information is false. That's a logical fallacy called argument from ignorance. Incidentally, your initial claim looks like a special case of argument from ignorance called argument from incredulity. That's when you claim something is false because you don't understand it or don't believe it.

Do you want to try again? Or are you willing to stipulate there is no information available yet to accurately say the information supplied by BRPD is factual or not? I'm good either way. I like playing the "guess the fallacy" game.

extra300

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Metairie
    Just because the BRPD and the Lieutenant General of the Army both wear uniforms does not mean they must share the same knowledge, or lack of knowledge, of firearms. That's a logical fallacy known as a weak analogy. Two things sharing one property does not mean they share a different property. And I'm not saying it's factual because it comes from a higher authority. (That's a fallacy aptly named appeal to authority.) In fact, I haven't said it was factual at all. All I said was the reporter said it came directly from BRPD

No, none of us were involved in the seizure. The only thing we have is information relayed from someone who may be more knowledgeable than any of us. But not being able to prove the information is true is not proof the information is false. That's a logical fallacy called argument from ignorance. Incidentally, your initial claim looks like a special case of argument from ignorance called argument from incredulity. That's when you claim something is false because you don't understand it or don't believe it.

Do you want to try again? Or are you willing to stipulate there is no information available yet to accurately say the information supplied by BRPD is factual or not? I'm good either way. I like playing the "guess the fallacy" game.

^^This guy here^^ Triggered? Sorry, I have better things to do than play your ill-fated attempt on semantics. Serious question, did you type the above blather to make yourself feel smart? I hope ya feel like a genius now. I’ll light a candle for you.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ^^This guy here^^ Triggered? Sorry, I have better things to do than play your ill-fated attempt on semantics. Serious question, did you type the above blather to make yourself feel smart? I hope ya feel like a genius now. I’ll light a candle for you.

Nope, not triggered. I typed the above because I was bored. And it's not semantics. It's logic. Or more appropriately, it's a lack of logic in your posts. You made an unsubstantiated claim, you got asked about it, and you doubled down. It's not my fault there's nothing yet to support your claim.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm surprised the article didn't just say 15 AR-15's! :)

How would they know they were full auto??? Did they test fire them? Or the markings on the receiver made them assume?

What are the bars for? black 18" long-ish, one red handle, one silver, square tubular steel, next to the AR's?

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    What are those long straight handles on the AR pistols? I’ve never seen anything like that. What purpose do they serve?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What are those long straight handles on the AR pistols? I’ve never seen anything like that. What purpose do they serve?

Are you talking about on the magwell? It appears to be 9mm ar’s with VERY extended g18 mags. And the black *bar* on the magwell is the mag catch/release that contacts the front of the mag.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

So what you are saying not everyone has the same MOS? How is that possible? :biglaugh:

I have a good good friend retired out of the AF and we were shooting some AR’s he had assembled. And we got to talking about his lack of familiarity with the platform. I had assumed he at least had an occasional once a year shooting qualification, but when he left basic for A school he never handled another gun for the military again. He was a hydraulics mechanic.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    I've never seen a glock extension that long. Would be crazy to see that in a glock 26 just hanging out the bottom like 2 foot.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm surprised the article didn't just say 15 AR-15's! :)

How would they know they were full auto??? Did they test fire them? Or the markings on the receiver made them assume?

What are the bars for? black 18" long-ish, one red handle, one silver, square tubular steel, next to the AR's?

The bars with the handles are +20 extensions on a 33 round magazine.
    https://www.glockstore.com/Goliath-20-Magazine-Extension

Goliath-20-Magazine-Extension_main-02.jpg

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Are you talking about on the magwell? It appears to be 9mm ar’s with VERY extended g18 mags. And the black *bar* on the magwell is the mag catch/release that contacts the front of the mag.

OK, I see it now. I just didn't understand what I was looking at. Thanks.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I reached out to the reporter and asked about that possibility. She replied with what's quoted below. It appears the information is only in that one article because they were the only one who did any followup to the press release.

"Thanks for reading. Yes, that language wasn’t included in the press release, but when I spoke with police directly, they used the phrase *fully automatic assault rifles,* noting how rare and illegal they are. Hope that clears it up."

Good job! I do the same thing when I need more info than the initial story provides. It's a shame, I am more a journalist than most of them. :dunno:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good job! I do the same thing when I need more info than the initial story provides. It's a shame, I am more a journalist than most of them. :dunno:

I've looked but I can't find any press release for this incident from BRPD. The last release I could find on their city website is months old. And their facebook page only links to the article put out by The Advocate.

extra300

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Metairie
    Nope, not triggered. I typed the above because I was bored. And it's not semantics. It's logic. Or more appropriately, it's a lack of logic in your posts. You made an unsubstantiated claim, you got asked about it, and you doubled down. It's not my fault there's nothing yet to support your claim.

So, no logic on my part but the gibberish you posted is....okay doubled down on drivel? Really? Typical keyboard warrior who finally found their place in society. Hey genius, I already said it was speculation at this point. Give me some more glassy-eyed blather. Let's see how smart you really think you are.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So, no logic on my part but the gibberish you posted is....okay doubled down on drivel?

Yes, you doubled down on your drivel. I referred to it as an unsubstantiated claim but I believe the term drivel works as well.

Still yes.

[/B]Typical keyboard warrior who finally found their place in society. Hey genius, I already said it was speculation at this point. Give me some more glassy-eyed blather. Let's see how smart you really think you are.

Yes, you did say it was all speculation. That was in the post where you doubled down and compared the BRPD's knowledge of firearms to the firearm knowledge of a 37yr retired Lieutenant General of the Army as if they are somehow connected. And a speculation is an unsubstantiated claim.

If you don't believe my gibberish is okay, feel free to point out any errors I made.

extra300

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Metairie
    Yes, you doubled down on your drivel. I referred to it as an unsubstantiated claim but I believe the term drivel works as well.

Still yes.

Yes, you did say it was all speculation. That was in the post where you doubled down and compared the BRPD's knowledge of firearms to the firearm knowledge of a 37yr retired Lieutenant General of the Army as if they are somehow connected. And a speculation is an unsubstantiated claim.

If you don't believe my gibberish is okay, feel free to point out any errors I made.

Genius, who said anything about them being connected? I should compare one PD to another PD? Speculation is just that...no? It really sounds like you have a bad case of thinking you know more than everyone else, you think your smarter than everyone else and unfortunately think you're better than everyone else. My man, when you invite people into your safe space you have to do better. I just lit another candle for you. You can thank me later.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your right police are experts in firearms just like the 37yr retired Lieutenant General of the Army who said the AR-15 has "full semi-automatic." If it comes from a higher authority it must be factual. It's all speculation at this point since none of us was involved in the seizure.

Genius, who said anything about them being connected? I should compare one PD to another PD? Speculation is just that...no? It really sounds like you have a bad case of thinking you know more than everyone else, you think your smarter than everyone else and unfortunately think you're better than everyone else. My man, when you invite people into your safe space you have to do better. I just lit another candle for you. You can thank me later.

You did.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Uh, who cares? Comparison vs Connection? Idk, we don’t have to let the thread jump track for that, do we?

Anyway, back on track. Somebody here already mentioned the question of being able to identify if any of the guns were truly auto firing and I partially agree. The AR platform can indeed look normal at first. All any AR owner/operator had to do was pull a pin and inspect the fire control group. Most anyone with an elementary knowledge of the rifle could say with a degree of certainty whether one was an automatic. HOWEVER modified to be so.
    I like logic. Logic is fun. Who wants to test logic with me?
    What would be logical about informing the public about finding automatic weapons in a bust? Moreover, what what would that accomplish? Keeping the public frown on the big black scary rifle? Perhaps gaining more popularity with the bulk of the concerned public for taking 3 machine guns off the street?
    Unnecessarily sharing inside information with the criminal element while unwittingly inviting a ride along (insert ABC agency here) on the investigation sounds more logical to me..if there were actually any banned weapons on that table. And from a logical standpoint it doesn’t really appear so. It just makes more sense that there weren’t. How many did they say again? If it was 3, it would make more sense that the samples would be from the AK and AR group of 4, which would mean one or more of the pistol barreled guns would be included. Why would a felon go through the trouble of mounting a pistol brace to conform to one federal law when they’re already defying the one that would demand the most attention? Reason and logic both agreed they wouldn’t. Just now. I heard them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom