Why are these people not being aressted?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoggin357

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Iowa,La.
    I'm waking up daily to yahoo news saying kids died from being left in car.
    This morning read twins die in 90 degree heat after 3 1/2 hours in car
    seats in locked car.

The last one said he worked at a car lot and left his kids in car seats.twins.
    But im not reading anywhere these idiots are being arrested.

Can any LEO chime in,,lawyers,,someone with legal knowledge.

This didn't happen 10 years ago or you were arrested or taken care of by
    family.No one is being accounted for.Why are people not going to jail
    because their 13 year old committed a crime? Why?

Have the RCM's I mean millennial's or gen x people being taught its ok to
    kill their children? Seriously ,this is out of control.Back in my day,the
    parents would have went to jail and the inmates would gladly take care of
    it!!!!

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Do you think there’s anything more you could do to this person who ultimately killed their own child. A lot of District Attorneys won’t prosecute cases like that.

Also the age of culpability is 10, so a 13year old would be charged for a crime, not the parent.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I kind of expected a discussion on the Kiltons (subliminal messaging) or the Buydens (again subliminal).

i remember a PSA about putting your phone on the back seat next to your kid so you wouldn’t forget your little progeny. Imagine my disappointment when I realized it was for realz.

Look I confess sometimes I’m a self absorbed idiot who can’t pull my head out my own backside but seriously. How on Gods green earth do you remember your phone but not your kid.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    seats in locked car.

it!!!!

Dude progenicide has been legal sense 1973. It’s just a matter of how long you are allowed to wait. 4th trimester abortions people it’s our reproductive right.

Ok I’m even a little disappointed in myself for that one.:puke:

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    By no means am I defending these parents. But none would be convicted of murder, negligent homicide at best. Probation, or a suspended sentence. It’s not a charge a DA wants build a career convicting.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    By no means am I defending these parents. But none would be convicted of murder, negligent homicide at best. Probation, or a suspended sentence. It’s not a charge a DA wants build a career convicting.

Prosecuting a specific come a few times is not building a career. Besides, a DA who hopes that one day the public will vote for him to be a judge would benefit in the court of public opinion by prosecuting a crime that causes so much public outrage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Prosecuting a specific come a few times is not building a career. Besides, a DA who hopes that one day the public will vote for him to be a judge would benefit in the court of public opinion by prosecuting a crime that causes so much public outrage.

Even the largest wall is made from of individual bricks. Just as a DA builds a career on individual cases.

And DAs generalize their platform of prosecuting criminals, not sentencing parents who made tragic mistakes.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2016/...t_for_rome_cop_whose_son_died_in_hot_car.html

Or

https://thecity.nyc/2019/07/jurys-out-on-prosecution-of-parents-who-leave-kids-in-cars.html

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Now u want to build walls and separate children from their parents? ...I’m only joking. Trying to ease this up before it gets out of hand.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Now u want to build walls and separate children from their parents? ...I’m only joking. Trying to ease this up before it gets out of hand.

A bit of levity is always appreciated.

But again, I’m not defending and I don’t understand how a parent could forget a child in a vehicle as they go about their day. And accept it or not, there is a lot of sympathy out there for these idiots.

The OP asked a question and I’m just trying to give some type of answers, that this generally isn’t up to the *police*. Charges can come anytime after an incident and in this type of case after some input from the DA.

Another bit of outrage, if you kill someone because simple traffic violation, you *may* lose your license up to a year and/or be imprisoned up to 12 month. Effectively misdemeanor.......

Most criminal prosecution revolves around intent.

Such as Failure to Yield 32:124
    (ii) If the violation results in the death of another person, the offender may be subject to imprisonment up to twelve months.

Penalties for a DUI are harder than this just for getting pulled over.

Last edited:

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    But again, I’m not defending and I don’t understand how a parent could forget a child in a vehicle as they go about their day. And accept it or not, there is a lot of sympathy out there for these idiots.

Mostly any sperm or egg donor who would leave a child in the car never intended on having kids, never really wanted kids or couldn't have cared less if they had kids. Their phone they want, their phone they actively engage with, their phone they went out of their way to go get and protect. Most real parents would never forget a child in a car.

hoggin357

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Iowa,La.
    "Most real parents would never forget a child in a car. "

Exactly.

So I guess we just keep letting them take over and we do nothing.
    I'm glad not everyone thinks that way.I'm not giving up.

Bring America back again ,it was always great!!!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    seats in locked car.

it!!!!

Who are the RCM's?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    This is what happens when warning labels help generations to cheat Dr. Darwin. They have been protected long enough to procreate, so now there progeny is paying the piper.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Even the largest wall is made from of individual bricks. Just as a DA builds a career on individual cases.

And DAs generalize their platform of prosecuting criminals, not sentencing parents who made tragic mistakes.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2016/...t_for_rome_cop_whose_son_died_in_hot_car.html

Or

https://thecity.nyc/2019/07/jurys-out-on-prosecution-of-parents-who-leave-kids-in-cars.html

Exactly my point. Careers are built on more than one type of case.

hoggin357

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Iowa,La.
    Your seriously telling me that DA's have time to stop and think about what cases their taking
    to build their career.That is utterly nuts in my mind.Considering theirs no room in any jail for
    even felons right now.I know a guy shot and killed someone and hes waiting on a cell at home
    with no monitor.And you think DA's pick and choose cases,they get paid the same ,no matter
    what the case .Correct?

I'm not lashing out at society lol.I'm just trying to understand why we are not prosecuting
    people that are killing their kids.We arrest a guy for saying hes going to kill people on youtube
    ,but we cant put individuals in jail for killing a child.I just cant rap my head around this new
    millennial world:( I just refuse to give up.Everyone says ,don't be the sheep ,yet even on a
    rep gun board,everyone says give up,,its over,nothing can be done ,even the LEOs.

That is sooooo disconcerning in soooooo many ways!!!!

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your seriously telling me that DA's have time to stop and think about what cases their taking
    to build their career.That is utterly nuts in my mind.Considering theirs no room in any jail for
    even felons right now.I know a guy shot and killed someone and hes waiting on a cell at home
    with no monitor.And you think DA's pick and choose cases,they get paid the same ,no matter
    what the case .Correct?

I'm not lashing out at society lol.I'm just trying to understand why we are not prosecuting
    people that are killing their kids.We arrest a guy for saying hes going to kill people on youtube
    ,but we cant put individuals in jail for killing a child.I just cant rap my head around this new
    millennial world:( I just refuse to give up.Everyone says ,don't be the sheep ,yet even on a
    rep gun board,everyone says give up,,its over,nothing can be done ,even the LEOs.

I'm not sure what you mean when you claim that everyone, including LEO's, say to give up. As far as your question, based on the director of KidsandCars.org, about half of the cases that aren't open or unknown led to prosecution. As to why you're not reading about the arrests, I can offer a possible answer. The arrest may not come at the time of the incident. The arrest may come after an investigation. By the time the person is arrested, the news has lost interest in the story. Followups on old crimes aren't usually as exciting as new crimes. As far as why some are not prosecuted, the article below lists a few reason. You may not like or agree with them but they are backed up by some sort of reasoning.

"Ms. Rollins said her organization had identified 494 deaths involving caregivers who, like Mr. Rodriguez, said they were not aware they had left their babies in hot cars. In 43 percent of those cases, no charges were filed. In 32 percent of the cases, the caregiver was charged and convicted. And in 11 percent of the cases, the person was charged with a crime, but the judge or jury did not convict. The other 14 percent accounts for cases that are still open or the status is unknown."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/01/nyregion/children-left-to-die-in-hot-cars-accident-or-murder.html

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    what the case .Correct?

Short answer YES, DAs pick and choose what crimes to convict. That’s how they are able to tout on those 98% conviction wins. And the majority of those are plea deals to lesser crimes....but hey, a win is a win. I personally know a friend that had POUNDs of weed and over $45K in cash. Instead of a trial he was offered a *simple possession charge* if he forfeited the cash. And only got probation. DAs are some of the sleaziest crooks in the judicial system.

They only want to pad their resume showing how *hard* on crime they are by accepting easy convictions.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Short answer YES, DAs pick and choose what crimes to convict. That’s how they are able to tout on those 98% conviction wins. And the majority of those are plea deals to lesser crimes....but hey, a win is a win. I personally know a friend that had POUNDs of weed and over $45 in cash. Instead of a trial he was offered a *simple possession charge* if he forfeited the cash. And only got probation. DAs are some of the sleaziest crooks in the judicial system.

They only want to pad their resume showing how *hard* on crime they are by accepting easy convictions.

DA's don't pick crimes to convict. They pick what cases to prosecute. And a DA has an ethical obligation to not prosecute a case he doesn't believe he can win. They don't decide to not prosecute a case because it is a specific crime. They decide based on the specifics of the case.

As you said before, probation and/or suspended sentence (which is usually part of the probation sentence) is not unusual. But that doesn't happen unless the DA prosecutes a case.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom