Ruger Mk History-Going Backwards!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    In 1994, my eldest son acquired my Ruger MkII Stainless Slab Sided Competition Target .22. He added a Pac-Lite Upper to the MkII lower and 25 years later, still shooting that wonderful combo! He recently gave me back the Slab Sided upper, as he's very happy with his current arrangement.

In 2018 I became interested in the newest MkIV iteration and purchased the wonderful Stainless Hunter. I've added a few more Mk .22s since, and being able to totally disassemble/reassemble a MkII in under 5 minutes, the 1949 to present models are all fair game! ;)

I have dropped in a few aftermarket and OEM parts (Adjustable Triggers, MkIII Hammers and MkIV VQ Sears) and been able to achieve lowers with superb glass-breaking actions, 3/32" total PT and OT settings and crisp "Target Trigger" pulls between 1.25# to 1.5#!! IMO, the Mk series Rimfires are very accurate and reliable. When I do my part, rested groupings of 1/2" at 25 yds or less are common with any of my Mk pistols! ;)

Attached pictures are in order of procurement. The MkIV Stainless Hunter, The MkIV 22/45 Red Lite, The MkIV 22/45 Blue Lite (upper), The MkII 6" Standard Stainless, The MkII Competition Target (upper), The blued Standard 1976 Bicentennial, The MkI blued Heavy Taper Target T-678, The MkIV blued Target 5.5" (Upper), The blued Ruger Red Eagle Standard 4 3/4"-1950, The MkII Stainless Heavy Taper Target KMK-678 and Finally (see Post #37), The Ruger 22/45 Target Heavy Taper KP-514!!! :D

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkIV Hunter-VQ Laminated Grips & Bolt Release-TK Victory Trigger & Shadow Pic Rail-Vortex .jpg
      Ruger MkIV Hunter-VQ Laminated Grips & Bolt Release-TK Victory Trigger & Shadow Pic Rail-Vortex .jpg
      210.2 KB · Views: 288
    • Ruger MkIV 22-45 Lite & Vortex Venom RDR Scope-4.jpg
      Ruger MkIV 22-45 Lite & Vortex Venom RDR Scope-4.jpg
      216.2 KB · Views: 403
    • Ruger MkIV Hunter Lower - 22-45 Lite Upper-2.jpg
      Ruger MkIV Hunter Lower - 22-45 Lite Upper-2.jpg
      159 KB · Views: 325
    • Ruger MkII 6 inch Standard - VQ Volthane Grip-VQ Trigger-VQ Sear-VQ FP-VQ Ejector-VQ Ext Mag Rel.jpg
      Ruger MkII 6 inch Standard - VQ Volthane Grip-VQ Trigger-VQ Sear-VQ FP-VQ Ejector-VQ Ext Mag Rel.jpg
      225.8 KB · Views: 272
    • MkII Slab-Sided Competition Target SS.jpg
      MkII Slab-Sided Competition Target SS.jpg
      233.5 KB · Views: 311
    • Ruger 1976 4.75 inch American Liberty Standard-3.jpg
      Ruger 1976 4.75 inch American Liberty Standard-3.jpg
      157.8 KB · Views: 277
    • Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch-2.jpg
      Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch-2.jpg
      161.3 KB · Views: 265
    • Ruger MkIV 5.5 Target Upper-22-45 Lite Lower.jpg
      Ruger MkIV 5.5 Target Upper-22-45 Lite Lower.jpg
      200.5 KB · Views: 241
    • Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard.jpg
      Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard.jpg
      242.5 KB · Views: 427
    • Ruger MkII KMK-678.jpg
      Ruger MkII KMK-678.jpg
      252.7 KB · Views: 282
    Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That fluted barrel made my pants too tight! Man is she hot.
    I’m a big fan of the Ruger Standard and have a decent collection going. No MKIV yet, but I’ll get there.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks R5...will grow with a 78' MkI 6 7/8" Target Heavy Taper, coming on Monday! :D

Ted

I have one of those in MKII and they’re fantastic. Adjustable rear and real accurate. Sweet trigger too.
    This was my first, given to me by my grandfather when I was 13. 1960’s Standard that served me well through about 6 trapping seasons I believe. She went to the Ruger beauty parlor a few years ago for a reconditioning. Those guys work some magic.

a2e36cdb1bd185ffd44a89bf0256d398.jpg

Last edited:

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    MD,

Your Standard looks great! :)

I'm happy with the finish on mine, but may want to send my incoming MkI Target to the Ruger Beauty Parlor. A few areas appear in the pics to be void of their blued finish...will see when I get it in my hands on the 7th!!

Ted

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    That fluted barrel made my pants too tight! Man is she hot...

MD,

Yes she is, and also shoots hot. From a rest, getting <1\2" groupings c to c 25 yds, shooting CCI Mini Mag 1235 fps CPRN 40gr clean, reliable ammo. :eek3:

Bet if I could hold steady enough (or put it in a "Ransome Rest"), it would punch the same hole!! :D

Ted

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    MD,

Yes she is, and also shoots hot. From a rest, getting <1\2" groupings c to c 25 yds, shooting CCI Mini Mag 1235 fps CPRN 40gr clean, reliable ammo. :eek3:

Bet if I could hold steady enough (or put it in a "Ransome Rest"), it would punch the same hole!! :D

Ted
    You know it! I’ve got at least half a dozen witnesses that saw me plinking golf balls overlooking a sandbar on a big creek a couple campouts ago. Range was 60-100 yards with orange clays and yellow golf balls on the sand. Hit them one after the other.
    I’ll try to find the work order from Ruger and send it to you do you can see what I got for my money. Cost was $140 up front. They send a shipping label, you drop off at a FedEx hub and the turnover is usually less than 2 weeks. They practically rebuilt the pistol and then polished and blued it back to new condition.

Last edited:

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Received a 1978 MkI 6 7/8" Heavy Taper blued Ruger today. Action, lower, upper and bore were clean, but had some work to do on the bolt (wasn't clean at all). Trigger is an AMT with OT screw. Had to fit the disconnector as trigger reset wasn't consistent. Hammer and sear were honed to a fine 1.75# crisp break and the overall action had very little travel! Rifling looks Sharp and Shinny!

Cleaned the blued exterior and it looks real good, except for the back of the grip area to the right of the seated main spring...blued finish is worn off. I won the bid @$200, so what I got for the investment I'm happy with. Doesn't look too bad, but need to decide if I should send in to Ruger for a re-firb + face-lift (an additional $140)!?!

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch-3.jpg
      Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch-3.jpg
      165.5 KB · Views: 255
    • Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch-4.jpg
      Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch-4.jpg
      165.5 KB · Views: 251
    Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    you got a good deal. Sounds like the gun’s in good shape. Not sure what I’d do. Either shoot and enjoy it as is or send it in to be made like new and put it in the safe....never to see the light of day again!
    Lol, j/k. Can’t lose either way

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    ...Cleaned the blued exterior and it looks real good, except for the back of the grip area to the right of the seated main spring...blued finish is worn off. I won the bid @$200, so what I got for the investment I'm happy with. Doesn't look too bad, but need to decide if I should send in to Ruger for a re-firb + face-lift (an additional $140)!?!

Ted

Well, spoke to Ruger and they want the whole gun intacted to do a refirb and rebluing!? Spoke to a local gunsmith friend who came to my workshop and showed me how a good cold-blue product (Beechwood Casey Super Blue) would "touch-up" and blend the back grip area with the rest of my MkI.

Since the upper and 95% of the lower were in great condition, ended up using his technique and the results were Very Satisfying! IMO, now No need to send to Ruger!! :D

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkI Target Bluing Missing!.jpg
      Ruger MkI Target Bluing Missing!.jpg
      94.6 KB · Views: 257
    • Ruger MkI Target Bluing Fixed!.jpg
      Ruger MkI Target Bluing Fixed!.jpg
      138.1 KB · Views: 277

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Cool!
    If you like the target grips that you have, think about trying the hogue rubber with the thumb rest for that target pistol. Mine is the red label anniversary edition and I wanted to put those grips up anyway. I like the Hogues.

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    No Hope!

Alas, thought I was cured, even got a great Bill-of-Health from the SRO Society. Then VQ went and offered new MkIV 5.5" Target Uppers on clearance for just $40.:mad:

After a few weeks of resistance, hoping they would quickly sell out, it happened. Before I realized what was going on, my fingers typed and hit the order button...now, I'm back in SRO rehab?? :eek3: :o :D

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkIV 5.5 Target Upper-22-45 Lite Lower.jpg
      Ruger MkIV 5.5 Target Upper-22-45 Lite Lower.jpg
      200.5 KB · Views: 277
    • Ruger MkIV 5.5 Target Upper-22-45 Lite Lower-2.jpg
      Ruger MkIV 5.5 Target Upper-22-45 Lite Lower-2.jpg
      207.9 KB · Views: 231

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

AKS,

Believe you are Correct! :cool:

Ted

Yes, the Standard or MKI as some folks refer to them do have a different floor plate and only hold 9 rounds, but are simple to modify for a full 10, the II and III share the floorplate but run the spring helper on opposite sides of the mag.

The 22/45 mags have always been different.
    If I had to unload all my Ruger .22 pistols these few would be the last to go. They are fun little guns.

f32ff9c37a29329c34d45aa72bc95b99.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom