Ruger Mk History-Going Backwards!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Yes, the Standard or MKI as some folks refer to them do have a different floor plate and only hold 9 rounds, but are simple to modify for a full 10, the II and III share the floorplate but run the spring helper on opposite sides of the mag.

The 22/45 mags have always been different.
    If I had to unload all my Ruger .22 pistols these few would be the last to go. They are fun little guns.

MD,

You certainly have a great "keeper collection" of Mk's...bet they all shoot superbly!! ;)

Unfortunately, I have an original RST Vintage 9-round mag (came with my used standard), with the solid pressed-in and pinned silver base plate! Going to leave it well enough alone, as I have "6" MkII mags to use with my Standard and MkI Target 6 7/8". Some members on RFC state it is a Collectable, so that Vintage mag will be relinquished as a safe queen investment (especially with the going E-Bay prices)!! :eek3:

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger Vintage RST Mag.jpg
      Ruger Vintage RST Mag.jpg
      141.1 KB · Views: 228
    Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    MD,

You certainly have a great "keeper collection" of Mk's...bet they all shoot superbly!! ;)

Unfortunately, I have an original RST Vintage 9-round mag (came with my used standard), with the solid pressed-in and pinned silver base plate! Going to leave it well enough alone, as I have "6" MkII mags to use with my Standard and MkI Target 6 7/8". Some members on RFC state it is a Collectable, so that Vintage mag will be relinquished as a safe queen investment (especially with the going E-Bay prices)!! :eek3:

Ted

+1 on the vintage mags, don’t cut the follower on those. I have a few originals that I wouldn’t dare touch. The newer Ruger MKI mags have a plastic base plate that I actually had to trim for them to fit.
    I haven’t found a standard that isn’t a great shooter, but the government model and target with those bull barrels aren’t really my favorites. Definitely don’t wanna carry those in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    All Good!!!

...I haven’t found a standard that isn’t a great shooter, but the government model and target with those bull barrels aren’t really my favorites. Definitely don’t wanna carry those in the field.

Hope everyone had a Blessed Thanksgiving. We did, especially the "Dirty Bird" feast Thursday night!! ;)

Seems I have "No Bad Apples" in the whole Ruger Mk Bunch. Best accuracy is with the 6 7/8" longer barrels, especially the Hunter with the RDR scope. Even the 4.4" Lite uppers shoot surprisingly tight groupings. Any limitations aren't on these fine .22 shooters, it's on Me...probably, always will be! :o :rolleyes: :D

Ted

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Yes, the Standard or MKI as some folks refer to them do have a different floor plate and only hold 9 rounds, but are simple to modify for a full 10, the II and III share the floorplate but run the spring helper on opposite sides of the mag.

The 22/45 mags have always been different.
    If I had to unload all my Ruger .22 pistols these few would be the last to go. They are fun little guns.

f32ff9c37a29329c34d45aa72bc95b99.jpg

22/45 mags are not different. Mark 3 hunter mag on the left, 22/45 on the right. Only base plates are different.

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    I swapped MkIV regular mag and 22/45 mag base plates. The mag bodies themselves are the same, interchangeable (after switching the bases) and able to be used in either the MkIV standard steel or the 22/45 "1911" configurations. If you have a heavy stock of one type of mag but need more of the other, just change the base plates, like from WG! ;)

Merry Christmas to You and Yours!!! :D

Ted

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I swapped MkIV regular mag and 22/45 mag base plates. The mag bodies themselves are the same, interchangeable (after switching the bases) and able to be used in either the MkIV standard steel or the 22/45 "1911" configurations. If you have a heavy stock of one type of mag but need more of the other, just change the base plates, like from WG! ;)

Merry Christmas to You and Yours!!! :D

Ted
    But where do you get the floor plates? I can get any of the Ruger brand mags for these pistols for about $20, which is pretty cheap as mags go, but I don’t see any mag parts available.

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Ruger Mk History-Now, Digging Pretty Deep!

From the latest & greatest (MkIV Hunter), now close to the beginning (SN-3560 out of 4 million)...added a Ruger 1950 Red Eagle RST-4 Standard (see Post #1, last pic)!! :D

This Standard is in Great shape...believe it would rate as a NRA "Excellent" status, with 99% perfect bluing and a basically "new" look (inside and out), including an original Red Eagle grip emblem. Rifling is superb and overall, appears to have been fired very little over the past 70 years. Bummer though...No box, No Manual and No Sales Invoice. As is, supposedly it is a collectable, but if I had all of the original accessories and paperwork that went with it's manufacturing date, it could easily be worth 10X more value!! :(

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard.jpg
      Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard.jpg
      246.9 KB · Views: 195
    • Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard.jpg
      Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard.jpg
      242.5 KB · Views: 183

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    I really enjoy my MkIV 22/45 Tactical, it eats bulk ammo suppressed all day long

TG1,

I don't have the Tactical, but do really enjoy the 22/45 Lite. Points well, shoots accurately and handles CCI MM HV Great!! :cool:

Ted

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    KMK-678...Like New!

From the 1950 Red Eagle Type II Collectors Ruger Pistol (most rare), heading back in the newer model Mk Series direction! Had been looking for a MkII Stainless Heavy Taper in 5 1/4", but those rarely come up any more. This 6 7/8" "one-owner" became available w/case, an extra mag and all paperwork at a great price...rest is history! :D

Seller claimed he purchased this new around 2000 and shot it very little. After taking it down for a good check and cleaning, seems he had never cleaned it either! After a few hours of detailed cleaning, couldn't find any wear or signs of use...interior and action components all look Great...bore is perfect! Exterior is very clean and new-like...no scratches, marks or blemishes. Trigger broke at 3#+ before cleaning, now breaks cleanly at 2.3#! I set the target trigger for minimal post travel and believe I'll live with it As Is...should be a very accurate shooter!! ;)

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkII KMK-678.jpg
      Ruger MkII KMK-678.jpg
      252.7 KB · Views: 149
    • Ruger MkII KMK-678-2.jpg
      Ruger MkII KMK-678-2.jpg
      252.2 KB · Views: 161
    • Ruger MkII KMK-678 & Case.jpg
      Ruger MkII KMK-678 & Case.jpg
      200.1 KB · Views: 181

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"!

Finally got my desired 5 1/4" Target Heavy Taper in a Ruger 22/45 KP-514! The Zytel lower is very solid, with the original owner sending it off to get the front\back grip areas stippled for a non-slip hold. Spent 3-4 hrs of careful detailed action cleaning. It's a 1994 and the interior showed every bit of grim, dirt and rimfire fouling grit for every one of those "26" years of use! Exterior is perfect and overall, it cleaned up Very Nicely. Once cleaned and lubed, the Ruger Target trigger has zero-creep, breaks at a very crisp 2.5# and has minimal PT and OT...Very Nice! After cleaning the bore, the rifling Suddenly Appeared...imagine that!! Overall, feel 3 Franklins were worth this purchase!! ;)

Even with the VQ drop-in parts I have in stock, believe will leave well-enough alone! When our range opens back up, I'll check it's accuracy and possibly have it for a field side carry!! :D

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkII KP-514  22-45 #1.jpg
      Ruger MkII KP-514 22-45 #1.jpg
      202.7 KB · Views: 177
    • Ruger MkII KP-514  22-45 #2.jpg
      Ruger MkII KP-514 22-45 #2.jpg
      189.9 KB · Views: 165
    Last edited:

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Birth-Year Standard!

Been searching these past 12 months for a Ruger 1953 Black Eagle Standard. I've come across a few, but very poor conditions and excessive asking $$$ drove me away. This "in great overall condition" 1953 4.75" was being offered without the rear dovetail sight, thus believe it kept bidders away. Picked up a rear sight for cheap, then won the Standard bid for under 2 Franklins! It needed a little TLC (touch up bluing areas, deep cleaning, tightening up loose main spring lug fit), but overall the crisp 2.5# pull, easy bolt racking, trouble free feeding and dead accuracy @ 50 yds (w\CCI Mini Mags) means my wait seems to have paid off! :D

Now when asked my age at the hunting camp, I''ll state, "just as old as she...just check the SN"! :thumbsup:

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger Black Eagle Standard-1.jpg
      Ruger Black Eagle Standard-1.jpg
      225.3 KB · Views: 180
    • Ruger Black Eagle Standard-2.jpg
      Ruger Black Eagle Standard-2.jpg
      191.4 KB · Views: 174

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Birth Year MkI T514!!

After unsuccessful bids trying to obtain the rare MkI Heavy Taper Target T514 Black Eagle (only 1400 made), I was offered one from a Ruger collector's inventory (finally got to close the deal)! Although arriving in a good 95% condition, after detailed cleaning, fitting the hammer bushing (way too tight in the frame), bluing touch up, polishing the exterior and lubing all the action and bolt assemblies (all part of my new ownership MO), this 1953 5 1\4" MkI (another birth year) is now in overall great condition. The target trigger is very crisp (no creep), has little PT and no OT and a very nice 2.5# pull! Balance is excellent with POA being quick and precise! :)

The offering investment was half of what some have sold for in on-line auction sites, so guess my wait and timing was right! And Yes, will soon see how accurate she is!! :cool:

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkI T514 1953.jpg
      Ruger MkI T514 1953.jpg
      209.4 KB · Views: 140
    • Ruger MkI T514 1953-2.jpg
      Ruger MkI T514 1953-2.jpg
      178.1 KB · Views: 146

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    MkII Lost But Found!

Well, not really lost, but gave the KP514 to my son, who went from a suburbia setting of .25 acre to a 10 acre layout in the country! ;)

Finally came across the MkII Heavy Tapered 5 1/4" barrel Stainless (what I really wanted to complete my MkII collection)! For 5 Franklins, not only received this KMK514 in excellent condition, but also came with an Extended VQ mag release, Hogue finger groove grips, a TK Halo, 2 extra mags, a hard case and the OM! :cool:

Following my OCD procedures, I first tested and found the trigger pull at a crisp 3.25#. Then I disassembled, cleaned all components, polished the bolt-lower-upper, dropped in a VQ MkII trigger and sear and re-lubricated all action components. Reassembly was quick and easy, and now have 3/32 overall travel and a 1.5# very crisp pull "target trigger" action!! Balance and POA ability is Really Sweet in this rare MkII target series! :D

Ted

Attachments

• Ruger MkII Target KMK514.jpg
      Ruger MkII Target KMK514.jpg
      185.9 KB · Views: 129
    • Ruger MkII Target KMK514-2.jpg
      Ruger MkII Target KMK514-2.jpg
      193.1 KB · Views: 128

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members