KNIFE REVIEW: Milwaukee Tool

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Think there’s a twenty dollar fixed blade out there that’ll get the job done? I think I found two.
    I know plenty of blade aficionados that have some really decent knives at home. I’m talking some really nice ish... at home, tucked away, in the safe or as in my case, an old foot locker. Many still in the box. Some were like...gun expensive. And they never get used really although I’ll pull one or two outnow and then, like fine watches, to carry on my person, JIC, part of my EDC. Maybe while I’m out at this get together I’ll find a chore that needs my knife and then I’ll get to show it off to another knife guy or not. These are like gentlemen’s knives. Conversation pieces. We take them out and pass them back and forth (with complete immunity because there’s no chance of an accidental shooting) just like the Indians and traders, each admiring the other’s knife. Anyway, maybe some of you can relate, without actually admitting to anyone here of course.

Brings me to a couple of real world fixed blades that should fill your needs until SHTF and you drag out all the good ish. I saw these at Home Depot I don’t know how many months ago and I’ve put them to the test on my little excursions in the outdoors as well as every day chores. I believe the retail was 19.97 and tax. Blades are 3mm thick and have a Kershaw feel. They’ve been plenty stout enough for my needs. They are frosted but I believe they’re either high carbon or maybe that new Chinese alloy. Might try to research that today.
    The double edge is the one I’ve used most and it’s performed and held up fine. The serrated edge is extremely effective and looks easy to sharpen with the ceramic rods. The other has been a great utility blade and does well on general purpose camping chores and any wood carving task. The edge holds up fine. I’d buy these again if I lost one or somehow damaged one. The handles are molded hard rubber I think. That dense stuff that feels heavy and somewhere between plastic and rubber.
    The sheaths are straight forward and well built for belt carry or attaching to a pack. There are lanyard holes but no lanyard so you’ll have to supply the old bootlace if you want insurance against loss. They both have very positive locks, however, and it takes the right bit of effort to unsheathe and return the blade. The one I’m pointing to in the pic below has the lock on each side.
    That’s all I can think of to say about them but I’ll answer any questions. Also keep in mind that one of my favorite heavy camp knives is the old cold steel true flight thrower so, I’m not to be trusted at all when it comes to rating knives for the rich and famous..

3f3682222c9e48a9beaecfcba6530460.jpg
    154c3d3bdcf0b5fa12a9dbf82955a319.jpg
    7c7641e28095149c48216bbea425206f.jpg
    9f5289484d82645e5aa6580f79aac4f8.jpg
    8f4fbd116296efe7dc1b07d1fd46cead.jpg
    4ead8d3f7c1cf3d84f5f97cecb721c68.jpg
    3b23e8092f6fd3d69780a33d73686b4c.jpg
    9ae1110412cb419d51d66a6e76bc7930.jpg
    c4fc9ded16de1816ffbb65e6e53b8351.jpg
    c98df8d8ae8e3f38fc64252e152471ed.jpg
    d74eb4fcb7ae39c6717fa234e6e2298c.jpg

Sorry about the wait on the pics. They were on my old phone and had to email them and copy to my current phone.

Last edited:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Excellent working knives. I've had one of the Cold Steel Tru Flight for years. Great Camp Knife. Those things are tougher than nails.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Excellent working knives. I've had one of the Cold Steel Tru Flight for years. Great Camp Knife. Those things are tougher than nails.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Lol, yup. The Tru Flight has been one I keep buying and tucking here and there. Not sure how many I’ve bought since the 80’s but as cheap as they are it don’t matter. I get my money’s worth out of them.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Think there’s a twenty dollar fixed blade out there that’ll get the job done? I think I found two.
    I know plenty of blade aficionados that have some really decent knives at home. I’m talking some really nice ish... at home, tucked away, in the safe or as in my case, an old foot locker. Many still in the box. Some were like...gun expensive. And they never get used really although I’ll pull one or two outnow and then, like fine watches, to carry on my person, JIC, part of my EDC. Maybe while I’m out at this get together I’ll find a chore that needs my knife and then I’ll get to show it off to another knife guy or not. These are like gentlemen’s knives. Conversation pieces. We take them out and pass them back and forth (with complete immunity because there’s no chance of an accidental shooting) just like the Indians and traders, each admiring the other’s knife. Anyway, maybe some of you can relate, without actually admitting to anyone here of course.

Brings me to a couple of real world fixed blades that should fill your needs until SHTF and you drag out all the good ish. I saw these at Home Depot I don’t know how many months ago and I’ve put them to the test on my little excursions in the outdoors as well as every day chores. I believe the retail was 19.97 and tax. Blades are 3mm thick and have a Kershaw feel. They’ve been plenty stout enough for my needs. They are frosted but I believe they’re either high carbon or maybe that new Chinese alloy. Might try to research that today.
    The double edge is the one I’ve used most and it’s performed and held up fine. The serrated edge is extremely effective and looks easy to sharpen with the ceramic rods. The other has been a great utility blade and does well on general purpose camping chores and any wood carving task. The edge holds up fine. I’d buy these again if I lost one or somehow damaged one. The handles are molded hard rubber I think. That dense stuff that feels heavy and somewhere between plastic and rubber.
    The sheaths are straight forward and well built for belt carry or attaching to a pack. There are lanyard holes but no lanyard so you’ll have to supply the old bootlace if you want insurance against loss. They both have very positive locks, however, and it takes the right bit of effort to unsheathe and return the blade. The one I’m pointing to in the pic below has the lock on each side.
    That’s all I can think of to say about them but I’ll answer any questions. Also keep in mind that one of my favorite heavy camp knives is the old cold steel true flight thrower so, I’m not to be trusted at all when it comes to rating knives for the rich and famous...

Are the Milwaukee's balanced for throwing like the Cold Steel?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For the price, I'd rather a Mora.

I’ve had a few of the Morakniv models, mostly the lower end $20 or less knives. The only one I’ve seen compare is the Companion for price. Less than that and the blades actually get flexible. I never felt very confident using one of the lower end models (almost feels disposable to me) as they just don’t seem to have much of a blade, as opposed to that handle. They got plenty of handle. I know they’re hailed by the bush craft crowd, but I feel I’d need to break into the $50+ tier to come close to either of these. I’m not really a fan of the grind/edge either, but to each his own.
    What is it you like about the Morakniv?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Got to baton about 40 sticks of wood past weekend with the plain edge model and it held up fine, although I wasn’t fully hammering on it. Edge holds up pretty good.
    Blade is supposedly AUS8

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Mora. The Swedes know how to make a knife. The ergonomics and control on thier knives is great. They are about the perfect size for processing large game and still small enough for small game. The handles are comfortable. The knives are lightweight yet strong. They use good steel.

The dinky plastic sheath is actually a well thought out design, it's inexpensive, locks the blade in, has two ways to mount it and drains water.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    When you say.
    They are frosted but I believe they’re either high carbon or maybe that new Chinese alloy. Might try to research that today.
    New China Steel what is It? Can you elaborate?

Broussard1022

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Lafayette

That’s all I can think of to say about them but I’ll answer any questions. Also keep in mind that one of my favorite heavy camp knives is the old cold steel true flight thrower so, I’m not to be trusted at all when it comes to rating knives for the rich and famous..

3f3682222c9e48a9beaecfcba6530460.jpg
    154c3d3bdcf0b5fa12a9dbf82955a319.jpg
    7c7641e28095149c48216bbea425206f.jpg
    9f5289484d82645e5aa6580f79aac4f8.jpg
    8f4fbd116296efe7dc1b07d1fd46cead.jpg
    4ead8d3f7c1cf3d84f5f97cecb721c68.jpg
    3b23e8092f6fd3d69780a33d73686b4c.jpg
    9ae1110412cb419d51d66a6e76bc7930.jpg
    c4fc9ded16de1816ffbb65e6e53b8351.jpg
    c98df8d8ae8e3f38fc64252e152471ed.jpg
    d74eb4fcb7ae39c6717fa234e6e2298c.jpg

Sorry about the wait on the pics. They were on my old phone and had to email them and copy to my current phone.
    Milwaukee folding hawkbill good folder and solid knife

Top Bottom