Ankle Holster Rash

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I recently purchase a Bugbite ankle holster for my backup gun. Unfortunately, it seems to be causing a contact dermatitis. When I wear it, I get a rash that looks like the pattern of the neoprene liner. I e-mailed the company and they say that they have only 2 instances of this happening. I tried washing it, but the rash still happens.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? If so did you find anything that helped? I'm looking for a solution because I really like the fit of the Bugbite and want to be able to make it work.

Alternatively, I'm looking for a substitute holster.

All replies appreciated.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Sounds like it’s named appropriately.

I could never get used to an ankle rig but have been known to pack a boot knife at times. I’m afraid I’m no help.
    I have found the ‘Belly Band’ type holsters work well for deep concealment in the warmer months. Although I wear it differently. Up around my chest under the armpits, pistol on my left (offhand) pointing to my left and downward. We’re talking micro 9mm down to 32ACP, but it’s concealed and I have no problems on the draw. Not my choice for tucked in dress shirt but it’s served me well on many occasions. Before they were available I had the Mrs sew in a pocket on a rib fracture binder. Which is a 4 to 6 inch wide elastic (think heavy Ace wrap) belt with big Velcro closures. Carried a 5 shot .357 snubby like that for years.
    As far as your rash, neoprene tends to do that to some folks because it doesn’t really breathe. You could go the nylon elastic route and see if that works and maybe try any of the powders or sprays ahead of time. Gold bond or anti fungal type stuff.
    Keep trying dude, you’ll find something that works for you.

Last edited:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I use a Fobus ankle holster occasionally but have never had a problem like that. Must be some kind of allergic reaction to the material.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I never had a reaction like you, but I didn’t like the feel of the holster rubbing on my skin and I always wore short socks. What I did is bought a pack of long boot socks and cut the foot off and used the upper portion of the sock to wear under the holster.

Doing something like that should eliminate the contact to your skin and may help you out with the rash.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for all the replies.

I never had a reaction like you, but I didn’t like the feel of the holster rubbing on my skin and I always wore short socks. What I did is bought a pack of long boot socks and cut the foot off and used the upper portion of the sock to wear under the holster.

Doing something like that should eliminate the contact to your skin and may help you out with the rash.

This seems worth a try. Another friend suggested wearing a nylon Knee High. I've never worn nylons in my life, but the times being what they are.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom