Does anyone load 6.5x257 Roberts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    I just picked up a rifle. It started life as a 6.5 Jap. There was no ammo available after the war, so original owner converted it to 6.5x257 Roberts. He gave me a box of loaded ammo and a box of brass but he could not find his dies. Per the net, some call the round a 6.5 Spence. Any information or source of ammo would be appreciated. Thanks.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    That's a wildcat . No factory ammo will be available . It's a shame the dies didn't come with the rifle . Most times the dies were cut with the chambering reamer when the rifle was chambered to insure a match . If you had them getting ammo would be a whole lot easier .
    I did a Google search on the term " Custom Ammunition Makers" a list of several came up , the largest was Extreme Custom Ammunition but there are at least eight or nine companies offering custom loaded wildcat ammo . Pull up the list and check out what they can do .
    Gary

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    The easiest source of dies is probably going to CH4D dies. They offer a pile of wildcat dies at fairly reasonable prices.

For what it's worth, only the seating die can be made with a chambering reamer. The sizing die needs to be slightly smaller than the chamber in order for it to work properly. Sometimes a matched sizer reamer is made along with a chamber reamer for making custom dies but I doubt many gunsmiths of the day rechambering Arisakas went through such trouble and expense for dies.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You could also ask Castboolits site there are members there tgat load just about every thing. And have resorted to making brass and bullets to do so

Top Bottom