What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yup! Definitely recommend that as well. Practicing dry firing at night while moving through is also a good thing to do. I seem to remember someone who placed random sticky notes or had someone place random sticky notes for him throughout a house as part of a dry-fire drill.

I've never tried it but I would imagine a quality airsoft pistol could help with in-house training. I know some have a similar weight to their lethal counterpart and I believe some have a blowback slide. Targets could be set up throughout the house. Although I don't know how much, if any, damage they would cause if a pellet hit the wall or a piece of wooden furniture.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That was posted two weeks ago in an unrelated thread and there was no hashtag on "weaponized light" in that original post. And "weaponized lights" have not been a significant part of this thread if it was even mentioned. How are we supposed to know your singular use of a hashtag two weeks signaled you have been trolling this whole time?

If someone has 1/4 of the posts in a thread with 200 replies and about 80-90% of those posts are trolling, at what point does that constitute an infraction or ban for breaking the rule you mentioned?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That was posted two weeks ago in an unrelated thread and there was no hashtag on "weaponized light" in that original post. And "weaponized lights" have not been a significant part of this thread if it was even mentioned. How are we supposed to know your singular use of a hashtag two weeks signaled you have been trolling this whole time?
    I don’t understand.

I haven’t been trolling for two weeks. I make funny comments here and there. I thought we were discussing my trolling in that thread. Not my satirical comments. The only person I suggested may have been trolling here was jhal. Because it seemed he was obsessed with his sbr but in reality he keeps it in the safe and his pistol was his primary go to home defense gun. Or I think that’s what he’s saying now.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If someone has 1/4 of the posts in a thread with 200 replies and about 80-90% of those posts are trolling, at what point does that constitute an infraction or ban for breaking the rule you mentioned?

I’m not sure what you are getting at I haven’t been trolling this thread, but yesterday evening I was pretty sure you were. Now I’m getting a little confused.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've never tried it but I would imagine a quality airsoft pistol could help with in-house training. I know some have a similar weight to their lethal counterpart and I believe some have a blowback slide. Targets could be set up throughout the house. Although I don't know how much, if any, damage they would cause if a pellet hit the wall or a piece of wooden furniture.

I've used the more realistic airsoft pistols that you speak of and they will definitely damage wood and put indentions into your walls. They can also crack teeth if they hit someone in the mouth.

I think this would be an excellent way to train in your own house, especially if you can get a friend to put on a head-guard and play the role of bad-guy. Learning how to pie your own doors and maintain cover in your own house is a good skill to have. It'd also not be as loud or as damaging as Sim rounds, which I still think everyone who carries a gun should train with at least annually.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've used the more realistic airsoft pistols that you speak of and they will definitely damage wood and put indentions into your walls. They can also crack teeth if they hit someone in the mouth.

I think this would be an excellent way to train in your own house, especially if you can get a friend to put on a head-guard and play the role of bad-guy. Learning how to pie your own doors and maintain cover in your own house is a good skill to have. It'd also not be as loud or as damaging as Sim rounds, which I still think everyone who carries a gun should train with at least annually.

Glock recently licensed airsoft pistols in the last few years. Up until then there were clone type pistols. The one I have will put a deep dent in drywall, so I'm careful what I do with it. I wear eye pro even with an airsoft gun, because shooting anything rigid those bb's will bounce right back at you. I also have a Co2 powered airsoft pistol that is extremely loud for what it is. In a room with good acoustics, it gets annoying after a while.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Perez, thanks for clarifying the rules about trolling, and if what Bangswitch posted is by definition ‘trolling’ then it’s pretty clear there are a few others commenting in this thread that are indeed trolling but have not been called out for it. They can deny it but it’s obvious. And the comments about my responsibilities to who may read my posts is ridiculous. I’m still cringing and laughing. Really seems like SOMEBODY doesn’t want me to express what I believe. Btw, I didn’t vote but the trolls didn’t notice that because they were too fixated on shotgun to even acknowledge that I stated I find all 3 have a place in home defense.
    Again, I didn’t tell anyone here that a shotgun is the best or what they should use, but a couple of operator guru extraordinaire authorities find it too easy to say what I should do or what I need to do, yada yada. Big heaping crock of trolling crap. Too much to sift through.
    Again, I’d expect better moderation...than throwing gas on the fire, but I guess it’s all just friendly discussion.
    Btw, Perez, none of this is directed at you except the thank you and it was sincere.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Perez, thanks for clarifying the rules about trolling, and if what Bangswitch posted is by definition ‘trolling’ then it’s pretty clear there are a few others commenting in this thread that are indeed trolling but have not been called out for it. They can deny it but it’s obvious. And the comments about my responsibilities to who may read my posts is ridiculous. I’m still cringing and laughing. Really seems like SOMEBODY doesn’t want me to express what I believe. Btw, I didn’t vote but the trolls didn’t notice that because they were too fixated on shotgun to even acknowledge that I stated I find all 3 have a place in home defense.
    Again, I didn’t tell anyone here that a shotgun is the best or what they should use, but a couple of operator guru extraordinaire authorities find it too easy to say what I should do or what I need to do, yada yada. Big heaping crock of trolling crap. Too much to sift through.
    Again, I’d expect better moderation...than throwing gas on the fire, but I guess it’s all just friendly discussion.

For clarification, I never told you what you can or cannot used. I simply questioned your choice.

Shotguns are viable, as are rifles and pistols. I made the thread to understand why individuals make certain choices.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of how I choose to moderate things. I'll be more than happy to explain some things. It may or may not change your opinion. There's obviously some personal issues between some members on this board. In two previous threads, the personal overtook the discussion to such a degree I felt it best to delete a bunch of posts and close the threads. With this thread, the cluster really started to happen at a point when the time I could spend in this thread was limited. I threw out the trolling rule with the hope it would settle some things down. Did it work? I don't know. Would this thread have spiraled faster or spiraled slower had I not thrown it out there? I have no idea. Was it throwing gas on a fire? Eh...that may have been the consequence even if it wasn't the intention. My preference is to let people sort out their differences with as little moderator intervention as possible. But if you, or anyone for that matter, fell a more heavy handed approach is what is needed, I'm sure I can oblige.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion of how I choose to moderate things. I'll be more than happy to explain some things. It may or may not change your opinion. There's obviously some personal issues between some members on this board. In two previous threads, the personal overtook the discussion to such a degree I felt it best to delete a bunch of posts and close the threads. With this thread, the cluster really started to happen at a point when the time I could spend in this thread was limited. I threw out the trolling rule with the hope it would settle some things down. Did it work? I don't know. Would this thread have spiraled faster or spiraled slower had I not thrown it out there? I have no idea. Was it throwing gas on a fire? Eh...that may have been the consequence even if it wasn't the intention. My preference is to let people sort out their differences with as little moderator intervention as possible. But if you, or anyone for that matter, fell a more heavy handed approach is what is needed, I'm sure I can oblige.
    I got no issue with your modding man. Like I said, didn’t direct any of that at you. I tried to dodge the trolling in my 2nd and 3rd posts but things took off anyway. If someone really wants to know something there’s plenty better ways to ask...than trolling.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

I think he is implying that I was the one throwing gas into the fire and not doing mod stuff. Whatevs. I very rarely do mod stuff, especially in threads that I participate in. It's better to have a maker/checker process where mods do the mod work and then I handle the disputes.

I also am a big fan of less heavy-handed moderating and letting people clash it out on their own. Attacking topics is okay. Attacking people is not. I think this thread has been about 80% topics and 20% people, which I'm mostly okay with.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I practice more with an "air gun" than with an actual gun. I'll mimic holding a handgun and check sightlines and movement option at random times when moving around the house for everyday reasons. On rare occasions I'll make that the point of the moving and use an actual handgun.

Ha! I do this too! I mostly do it when the house is dark to see the sight picture through and around the Tru-Glo sights. Aim at everything too! Front door, windows, TV, lights, etc. I'm not a pistol weapon light guy, so if someone gets through my early warning entry setup, and has their mind set on malice, I think I'm going to battle it out in the dark.

Home field advantage, and above average accuracy for the win! At least, that would be my plan!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ha! I do this too! I mostly do it when the house is dark to see the sight picture through and around the Tru-Glo sights. Aim at everything too! Front door, windows, TV, lights, etc. I'm not a pistol weapon light guy, so if someone gets through my early warning entry setup, and has their mind set on malice, I think I'm going to battle it out in the dark.

Home field advantage, and above average accuracy for the win! At least, that would be my plan!

I think the key things here are that you practice, regularly, and have a system in place that is tested.

Do you have any ambient lighting in your house that will help you identify things or people that are out of place?

I have a few red nightlights strategically placed throughout my place that don't mess with my night vision much, look cool, and make it really difficult to hide places. Oh, and they keep me from stubbing my toes, which is probably the biggest selling point aside from looking cool :mamoru:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think the key things here are that you practice, regularly, and have a system in place that is tested.

That's sound advice.

Regardless of which firearm you choose for home defense, a weapon mounted light wouldn't be such a bad idea. It's rather amazing how many people believe that turning on the room lighting is a good idea and that they will have time to do so.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I got no issue with your modding man. Like I said, didn’t direct any of that at you. I tried to dodge the trolling in my 2nd and 3rd posts but things took off anyway. If someone really wants to know something there’s plenty better ways to ask...than trolling.

Fair enough. I apologize for my ego thinking you were talking about me. :) You had addressed me at the beginning of your post. I just didn't realize the focus had shifted.

I think he is implying that I was the one throwing gas into the fire and not doing mod stuff. Whatevs. I very rarely do mod stuff, especially in threads that I participate in. It's better to have a maker/checker process where mods do the mod work and then I handle the disputes.

I also am a big fan of less heavy-handed moderating and letting people clash it out on their own. Attacking topics is okay. Attacking people is not. I think this thread has been about 80% topics and 20% people, which I'm mostly okay with.

Great. So I have to suppress my sarcasm and be the responsible one.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That's sound advice.

Regardless of which firearm you choose for home defense, a weapon mounted light wouldn't be such a bad idea. It's rather amazing how many people believe that turning on the room lighting is a good idea and that they will have time to do so.

It's also contingent on the power being on and the switch being accessible (near you). Room lighting also lights you up moreso than a WML would.

I would have one, but as I mentioned before, I haven't trained with one as much as I have with a handheld light. Down the line, this may be an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom