What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Really? Nothing about your delivery style? It's simple. Talk to people. Stop talking down to people. Right or wrong, you don't encourage learning by talking down to people. It's human nature to become defensive and less receptive when being talked down to. At that point, all the knowledge you may have is lost. But hey...you keep doing you. That's worked so far on here, right?

At no point did I talk down to anyone. If it was conveyed that way, I apologize.

If someone asked what I would do and I state what I would do and have done, then it's not talking down to them.

I've never heard of any attorney that would freely give out legal advice on an open discussion board. I have no desire to give out tactics advice on a discussion board when I am not an instructor.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I really should have paid more attention to this when I saw it. Looks like you were correct. Sure does explain a lot.

:dunno:

I'm more interested in learning these days than arguing. Being away without all the fuss was refreshing. I'd like to pay it forward from the days when other members here helped me. The powers that be let me back on the board and gave me fair warning. I've agreed to what they've asked. I'd prefer if others didn't make it their mission to cause trouble and deter folks from wanting to learn. I'm sure the staff here would prefer the same.

That Cat is on life 8

I wasn't expecting you to last when they made us moderators, but congrats on your promotion.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yeah no I haven’t had a course in low light. I practice moving about in verying conditions in my house and I a often move afield in the dark. I like to use as little light as possible because light in a dark environment is hard to contain. A lesson learned from hunting is you have a much better shot moving in extremely close (couple of yards close) to animals undetected by using the dark.

I’m sure some of my hunting experience is laughable to some but I will point out the animal kingdom is full of predators and prey both are massively more attuned to their environment than a burglar in my house. So I feel there is plenty to learn from nature.

Thats also not to say low light courses would not be helpful.

You and I are already 3steps ahead most.

Simply because you and I can and will walk thru the woods with no lights on.

You know how many would see Godzilla and King Kong plus Sasquatch?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Its taken my whole life to tame the imagination. Sometimes I get wigged out walking in before daybreak because I’m hearing stuff and thinking I’m seeing shadows especially when the coyotes have been vocal that night. I just stop and get still and quite. My eyes get a little better adjusted or it get a little closer to sun up, sometimes both and I proceed. It definitely takes some stones.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Walking through the woods at night has no correlation to close quarters defensive situations in a home, at night or during the day.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Walking through the woods at night has no correlation to close quarters defensive situations in a home, at night or during the day.

Thee has apparently never bumped a group of hogs in the dark. It has everything to do with being in the dark and trusting what you see and feel...

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Its taken my whole life to tame the imagination. Sometimes I get wigged out walking in before daybreak because I’m hearing stuff and thinking I’m seeing shadows especially when the coyotes have been vocal that night. I just stop and get still and quite. My eyes get a little better adjusted or it get a little closer to sun up, sometimes both and I proceed. It definitely takes some stones.

My fellow hunters think I'm nutz , I can't fault them one iota...lol

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My fellow hunters think I'm nutz , I can't fault them one iota...lol
    There is no shame in waiting till the sky starts to lighten up a little, but there is plenty of shame in driving within 15 yards of your stand then turning on your 10000 lumens cyclops head gear to make that massive hike.

We might aught to continue this elsewhere we may be accused of being disruptive.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    There is no shame in waiting till the sky starts to lighten up a little, but there is plenty of shame in driving within 15 yards of your stand then turning on your 10000 lumens cyclops head gear to make that massive hike.

We might aught to continue this elsewhere we may be accused of being disruptive.

Lol,You may be right !

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Wow... just read (or at least skimmed) this whole thread.. while watching NCIS reruns...

1. I'm amazed no one has brought up the Box O' Truth yet. So much good info. Short answer, 9mm penetrates more than .223. https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/

2. Which weapon I pick depends on the amount of time I have to react. Most convenient is my shield. Then the other pistol, then open the safe and pick either AR or shotgun. Probably AR and hand the shotgun and shield off to my wife. Arming her is a last resort thing. Wish I could get her to train...

3. Weapon mounted lights. Next time you wake up during the night grab your super bright WML and shine it around the room. Blind you? Bet it does. They're great for long distances but a nice white bedroom? I want one with a low light setting... It's on my shopping list. Unfortunately, my handguns aren't set up for WML (no mounts), My long guns are though and that's where the WML lives. I do have a decent hand light for now. I also kinda like the flexibility.

4. Speaking of training, what happens in close quarters, gun gets dropped, or your target has kids behind him, or... how's your hand to hand training? Blade training? don't ignore that option. I know someone that kept a filet knife in a sheath stapled to the back of his nightstand. A good hardcover book makes a good knife shield and fair impact weapon. So does a heavy lamp. Shop for furniture tactically. Just a thought.

5. I really want to install a solid wood lockable door between the bedrooms and the front door.

6. Dogs. Even something small will give you some advanced notice. I read somewhere a dog is 3x stronger per pound than a human.

7. Getting back to guns... Low flash ammo? I'd also rather not set the curtains on fire. (replacing the curtains sucks! Wife drove me nuts over that... rather not do it again!).

8. Body armor. Been considering it. Not sure I'd have time to put it on. Also not sure how local LEO would react if you're standing on your lawn barefoot in your boxers and a plate carrier and an AR. Thoughts?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    3. Weapon mounted lights. Next time you wake up during the night grab your super bright WML and shine it around the room. Blind you? Bet it does. They're great for long distances but a nice white bedroom? I want one with a low light setting... It's on my shopping list. Unfortunately, my handguns aren't set up for WML (no mounts), My long guns are though and that's where the WML lives. I do have a decent hand light for now. I also kinda like the flexibility.

I would recommend you watch this in its entirety.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Will do. Tomorrow...

I wanted to add: night sites? Fiber optic? 3 dot?

Personal preference is a Red Dot Sight with black suppressor sights. If no RDS is available, I like fiber front with black rears.

I have no use for night sights and most *carry* sights are overly large and don’t offer much over night sights. All sights will ultimately silhouette with white light use, but fiber optics tend to be the most visible second to a RDS.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Which begs the question:

Is your house completely dark at night?

Do you leave a light on? Night light in the hall bath?

Does the streetlight shine through your front window?

In my case:

I live in a small 3 bedroom ranch style.

The front rooms are dark. There are shutters and curtains on the windows. No lights at night.

Half way down the hall is the bathroom. My wife keeps a night light, C-7 bulb, on at night.
    If I walk past that open bathroom door, I'll be illuminated.

If there is an intruder in the house, my plan is to use darkness to my advantage.

No kids. No other family with keys to the abode.

If you are in my house at night, you are an intruder.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Using darkness to your advantage isn't a terrible idea, but it's also not a terrible idea to identify exactly what you're shooting at.

https://fox8.com/2019/07/13/michiga...killed-wife-after-mistaking-her-for-intruder/

It's worth noting that while Louisiana does not have a duty to retreat, blindly shooting someone in your home can yield unwanted repercussions.

LED light sensing plug in night lights are handy. They provide enough light to navigate the hallways, but are not enough light to PID someone or something.

s-l640.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thee has apparently never bumped a group of hogs in the dark. It has everything to do with being in the dark and trusting what you see and feel...

That would be a true statement as I wouldn't get that close to hogs at night. But sneaking up on animals in the woods has zero correlation to actual tested and studied home defense techniques. Again, you don't know what you don't know.

Wow... just read (or at least skimmed) this whole thread.. while watching NCIS reruns...

1. I'm amazed no one has brought up the Box O' Truth yet. So much good info. Short answer, 9mm penetrates more than .223. https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/

2. Which weapon I pick depends on the amount of time I have to react. Most convenient is my shield. Then the other pistol, then open the safe and pick either AR or shotgun. Probably AR and hand the shotgun and shield off to my wife. Arming her is a last resort thing. Wish I could get her to train...

4. Speaking of training, what happens in close quarters, gun gets dropped, or your target has kids behind him, or... how's your hand to hand training? Blade training? don't ignore that option. I know someone that kept a filet knife in a sheath stapled to the back of his nightstand. A good hardcover book makes a good knife shield and fair impact weapon. So does a heavy lamp. Shop for furniture tactically. Just a thought.

5. I really want to install a solid wood lockable door between the bedrooms and the front door.

6. Dogs. Even something small will give you some advanced notice. I read somewhere a dog is 3x stronger per pound than a human.

7. Getting back to guns... Low flash ammo? I'd also rather not set the curtains on fire. (replacing the curtains sucks! Wife drove me nuts over that... rather not do it again!).

8. Body armor. Been considering it. Not sure I'd have time to put it on. Also not sure how local LEO would react if you're standing on your lawn barefoot in your boxers and a plate carrier and an AR. Thoughts?

A few things to mention:

2. Having a gun is better than not having a gun. Training with the gun that you have is equally as important as having a gun. A baseball bat that you train with on specific, relevant scenarios is better than a firearm that you do not train with. I'd rather have the Shield than nothing.

3. Hardcore disagree. Brighter lights are better. Training with a bright light is key. Knowing where to point it is very important. Dave posted a good video below, which is worth the watch, but moreso, I highly recommend dropping $200 bucks on a low-light training class.

4. Agreed - there are many facets to close quarters combat. With that being said, I don't think grabbing a hardcover book is a better option than grabbing a firearm and a light. Fitness is another factor that many people seemingly ignore. You can't fight with much of anything if you gas out in 30 seconds, lol.

5. Security is all about layers, the more well-thought out layers, the better.

I would recommend you watch this in its entirety.

Great video - all should watch.

Which begs the question:

Is your house completely dark at night?

Do you leave a light on? Night light in the hall bath?

Does the streetlight shine through your front window?

In my case:

I live in a small 3 bedroom ranch style.

The front rooms are dark. There are shutters and curtains on the windows. No lights at night.

Half way down the hall is the bathroom. My wife keeps a night light, C-7 bulb, on at night.
    If I walk past that open bathroom door, I'll be illuminated.

If there is an intruder in the house, my plan is to use darkness to my advantage.

No kids. No other family with keys to the abode.

If you are in my house at night, you are an intruder.

Have you tested your plan against humans who mean you harm? I had a similar plan until I took a few low-light classes and then it quickly went out the window.

But should you always shoot an intruder? How do you handle the intruder? What if it's a neighbor's drunk son or someone's adult child with legitimate mental issues, neither of which who mean you harm? In all cases, a light allows you to collect more data than you would have in the dark.

Shadows play tricks on the eyes. Light allows one to collect more data. More data is better than less data. Lights, when used correctly, put you at an advantage and the one on the receiving end at a disadvantage.

Top Bottom