What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Using darkness to your advantage isn't a terrible idea, but it's also not a terrible idea to identify exactly what you're shooting at.

https://fox8.com/2019/07/13/michiga...killed-wife-after-mistaking-her-for-intruder/

It's worth noting that while Louisiana does not have a duty to retreat, blindly shooting someone in your home can yield unwanted repercussions.

LED light sensing plug in night lights are handy. They provide enough light to navigate the hallways, but are not enough light to PID someone or something.

s-l640.jpg

You can also get them in red, which doesn't distort your night vision and has an added perk of looking pretty cool...especially with wood flooring...or so I've been told :P

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    http://legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=78338

§20. Justifiable homicide

A. A homicide is justifiable:

(1) When committed in self-defense by one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger.

(2) When committed for the purpose of preventing a violent or forcible felony involving danger to life or of great bodily harm by one who reasonably believes that such an offense is about to be committed and that such action is necessary for its prevention. The circumstances must be sufficient to excite the fear of a reasonable person that there would be serious danger to his own life or person if he attempted to prevent the felony without the killing.

(3) When committed against a person whom one reasonably believes to be likely to use any unlawful force against a person present in a dwelling or a place of business, or when committed against a person whom one reasonably believes is attempting to use any unlawful force against a person present in a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), while committing or attempting to commit a burglary or robbery of such dwelling, business, or motor vehicle.

(4)(a) When committed by a person lawfully inside a dwelling, a place of business, or a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40) when the conflict began, against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, or who has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, and the person committing the homicide reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or to compel the intruder to leave the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle.

(b) The provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply when the person committing the homicide is engaged, at the time of the homicide, in the acquisition of, the distribution of, or possession of, with intent to distribute a controlled dangerous substance in violation of the provisions of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Law.

B. For the purposes of this Section, there shall be a presumption that a person lawfully inside a dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle held a reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent unlawful entry thereto, or to compel an unlawful intruder to leave the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle when the conflict began, if both of the following occur:

(1) The person against whom deadly force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle.

(2) The person who used deadly force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry was occurring or had occurred.

C. A person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and who is in a place where he or she has a right to be shall have no duty to retreat before using deadly force as provided for in this Section, and may stand his or her ground and meet force with force.

D. No finder of fact shall be permitted to consider the possibility of retreat as a factor in determining whether or not the person who used deadly force had a reasonable belief that deadly force was reasonable and apparently necessary to prevent a violent or forcible felony involving life or great bodily harm or to prevent the unlawful entry.

Added by Acts 1976, No. 655, §1. Amended by Acts 1977, No. 392, §1; Acts 1983, No. 234, §1; Acts 1993, No. 516, §1; Acts 1997, No. 1378, §1; Acts 2003, No. 660, §1; Acts 2006, No. 141, §1; Acts 2014, No. 163, §1.

While it may have been justified, using the case against Meritt Landry is eye opening for anyone who believes they should blindly shoot into the darkness. It took nearly a year and a large sum of attorney fees for it to finally go away.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

While it may have been justified, using the case against Meritt Landry is eye opening for anyone who believes they should blindly shoot into the darkness. It took nearly a year and a large sum of attorney fees for it to finally go away.

The case against Meritt Landry was one where he shot an intruder outside of his home, yet arguably, within his dwelling. It was a fenced in back/side yard.
    Once again. This shooting DID NOT occur INSIDE of his home.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The case against Meritt Landry was one where he shot an intruder outside of his home, yet arguably, within his dwelling. It was a fenced in back/side yard.
    Once again. This shooting DID NOT occur INSIDE of his home.

I would urge you to reread the statute.

against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I would certainly say the Merritt Landry case is interesting. Despite the statute, the DA was proceeding with prosecuting Landry. It wasn't until Marshall Coulter was arrested for a burglary after the was released from the hospital that the DA elected to not prosecute. After that arrest, when Coulter's picture really hit the news, calls started coming in from people who believed he was on their surveillance systems either breaking in or attempting to break into their homes. All of those allegations helped support Landry's narrative. And Coulter became a suspect in an attempted burglary a couple of block away on that same night.

In case people may have not seen pictures in the news of the house, the property was surrounded by a 6 feet fence. The gate driveway and pedestrian gates were closed. There was little chance of an argument Coulter was simply using the yard as a shortcut. One had to climb over the fence to gain access. In other words, Coulter couldn't have accidentally been where he was.

I have professional knowledge of this case. I firmly believe, given the Brady material that would/should have been turned over to the defense, Landry would not have been found guilty.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I like to bring up that case, because of the circumstances. It took a very long time for him to be in the clear.

Justified or not, it's best to avoid a shooting altogether. Producing white light bright enough to positively identify and control a potential threat can potentially keep you from going to trial.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like to bring up that case, because of the circumstances. It took a very long time for him to be in the clear.

Justified or not, it's best to avoid a shooting altogether. Producing white light bright enough to positively identify and control a potential threat can potentially keep you from going to trial.

Yep. It took him a while and it was a major interruption into his life. He was suspended without pay for the 10 months it took before the DA refused the charges. He did get back pay but he had to find a way to pay the bills during those 10 months. He and his wife had a young child and she was pregnant at the time of the incident. He moved from that location due to the protests and the media coverage.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I would urge you to reread the statute.

Oh, My reading comprehension is fine.
    Thank You though.

I'm not at all sure how a weapon light would have changed a thing in that circumstance.*

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Are you going to elaborate, or just be condescending?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not even sure Mr Landry didn't have a weapon light that night. Did he?

Are you familiar with the event that took place?

Do you agree that using an artificial light source allows for more information to be processed? If you saw an unarmed child in your yard, would you shoot them for simply standing there?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Night vision was the aspect I was referring to. I don't know about y'all but when I wake up at 2am any light is going to be blinding, even when shining at a ceiling or baseboard. I certainly don't want 1000 lumens in my home! at 9pm sure it'd be nice, but after sleeping for 2 hours? Nope.
    Thanks for the video though.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Night vision was the aspect I was referring to. I don't know about y'all but when I wake up at 2am any light is going to be blinding, even when shining at a ceiling or baseboard. I certainly don't want 1000 lumens in my home! at 9pm sure it'd be nice, but after sleeping for 2 hours? Nope.
    Thanks for the video though.

Some people have light sensitivity issues. Thankfully, I don't and it's never affected me.

It's up to you to figure out what you need, but I wouldn't be sneaking around in the dark pretending to be a ninja.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Some people have light sensitivity issues. Thankfully, I don't and it's never affected me.

It's up to you to figure out what you need, but I wouldn't be sneaking around in the dark pretending to be a ninja.

If only Sage Dynamics had a video on how to be a ninja and sneak around in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    Suppressed FNX tactical with federal +p hst's, a streamlight VIR, and a Trijicon RMR HRS mini reddot sight. Still hearing safe and below 140 dB.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom