Join BayouShooter For Free

View Poll Results: What do you choose for home defense?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol

28 68.29%
  • Rifle

11 26.83%
  • Shotgun

10 24.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15242526 ... LastLast
    -Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    That's all good and fine, and its never a bad move to get more training, but using ambient light and leaving my light off is my preferred method until there is no other option. What is yours?
    I'm just curious, have you ever taken a low light firearm class or are you basing your opinion off of personal exploration of your house in the dark?

If the latter is the case, it's not wrong and it's better than most people have done, so long as you have thought it out and trained with it, but it's certainly not best.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    I'm just curious, have you ever taken a low light firearm class or are you basing your opinion off of personal exploration of your house in the dark?

If the latter is the case, it's not wrong and it's better than most people have done, so long as you have thought it out and trained with it, but it's certainly not best.
    Yeah no I haven’t had a course in low light. I practice moving about in verying conditions in my house and I a often move afield in the dark. I like to use as little light as possible because light in a dark environment is hard to contain. A lesson learned from hunting is you have a much better shot moving in extremely close (couple of yards close) to animals undetected by using the dark.

I’m sure some of my hunting experience is laughable to some but I will point out the animal kingdom is full of predators and prey both are massively more attuned to their environment than a burglar in my house. So I feel there is plenty to learn from nature.

Thats also not to say low light courses would not be helpful.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; October 10th, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Yeah no I haven’t had a course in low light. I practice moving about in verying conditions in my house and I a often move afield in the dark. I like to use as little light as possible because light in a dark environment is hard to contain. A lesson learned from hunting is you have a much better shot moving in extremely close (couple of yards close) to animals undetected by using the dark.

I’m sure some of my hunting experience is laughable to some but I will point out the animal kingdom is full of predators and prey both are massively more attuned to their environment than a burglar in my house. So I feel there is plenty to learn from nature.
    Gotcha. I respect that you are doing something, but I do urge you to take formal low light training, especially some that involves Sim rounds.

There are people and companies who spend a lot of time researching, studying, and developing best practices.

Practicing bad techniques is similar to studying the wrong material for a test and then expecting to do well on the test. If the information is similar, you may do okay on the test, but you won't pass it with stellar results.

As for your comment about nature, I disagree. Hunting an animal that is eating grass or feed is very different than defending yourself against someone who intends to do you harm, whether at home or not.
    -- Austin

--Michael Jordan

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    Gotcha. I respect that you are doing something, but I do urge you to take formal low light training, especially some that involves Sim rounds.

There are people and companies who spend a lot of time researching, studying, and developing best practices.

Practicing bad techniques is similar to studying the wrong material for a test and then expecting to do well on the test. If the information is similar, you may do okay on the test, but you won't pass it with stellar results.

As for your comment about nature, I disagree. Hunting an animal that is eating grass or feed is very different than defending yourself against someone who intends to do you harm, whether at home or not.
    I’m not sure you are all that keen on hunting as you are adventure defensive training. There is a big difference in piling up in a blind or shooting house and getting lucky, and consistently having up close encounters with wild animals.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Thats also not to say low light courses would not be helpful.
    You can learn from nature. But one difference between hunting and home defense is what happens if you get it wrong. In hunting, the animal generally runs away. In a home defense situation, the animal may return fire.

All people are trying to do is make sure you have as much knowledge as possible so you can make the best decision for your specific situation. Some people just have a better delivery than others. If you gain more knowledge and decide your preference is the best for your situation, great. You're still good and you have more tools to use for other situations. But if the new knowledge shows some deficiencies in your preferences, you're better able to adjust as needed.
    Last edited by thperez1972; October 10th, 2019 at 01:00 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    You can learn from nature. But one difference between hunting and home defense is what happens if you get it wrong. In hunting, the animal generally runs away. In a home defense situation, the animal may return fire.
    Noted and I can attest to that I had a rather close encounter with a very large cat +60lbs by my estimate, and it made me and was gone. We have had some coyotes willing to push the boundaries though. But they don’t shoot guns at least not the ones I mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    All people are trying to do is make sure you have as much knowledge as possible so you can make the best decision for your specific situation. Some people just have a better delivery than others. If you gain more knowledge and decide your preference is the best for your situation, great. You're still good and you have more tools to use for other situations. But if the new knowledge shows some deficiencies in your preferences, you're better able to adjust as needed.
    That would be nice, I’m not sure how what I asked cake across as ‘f-you I’ll do what I want’ but I guess it did. My intent was to see what others do. I’ve strategized that so long as I have power and the 80billion nightlights as well as ambient light from the outside provide me with enough light to move about my flashlight will remain off until it’s absolutely necessary. I would certainly be interested to know why that seems like a bad idea to some but maybe I’ll have to pay to find out.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; October 10th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Noted and I can attest to that I had a rather close encounter with a very large cat +60lbs by my estimate, and it made me and was gone. We have had some coyotes willing to push the boundaries though. But they don’t shoot guns at least not the ones I mess with.

That would be nice, I’m not sure how what I asked cake across as ‘f-you I’ll do what I want’ but I guess it did. My intent was to see what others do. I’ve strategized that so long as I have power and the 80billion nightlights as well as ambient light from the outside provide me with enough light to move about my flashlight will remain off until it’s absolutely necessary. I would certainly be interested to know why that seems like a bad idea to some but maybe I’ll have to pay to find out.
    Wild animals aren't comparable to humans who have made the conscious decision to cause others harm.

You really should pay the money for formal low-light, close-quarters training. It's really not even that expensive compared to other classes out there. I think that a Sims low-light class will be incredibly eye-opening for you.

It's the same as preparing your whole life for a boxing match by only punching a bag. Yes, you may get strong, fast, and good at hitting the bag, but everything changes whenever you get hit in the nose for the first time and the bag is now a person moving who intends to harm you. Your first time doing any Sim class, you will absolutely be shot repeatedly and be wowed. It's not a game, like some have noted above - it's a dose of reality that hits pretty damn hard.
    -- Austin

--Michael Jordan

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

My intent was to see what others do.
    Personally, I seek formal training. I'd rather pay an expert than spend hours attempting to learn something new that isn't new at all.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Personally, I seek formal training. I'd rather pay an expert than spend hours attempting to learn something new that isn't new at all.
    Dude I’m working really hard not to be an ass. Apparently I come across that way. But throw me a bone it’s hard to take you seriously. I ask ‘great gun guru what when do you cut your light on’. You say ‘I take classes were people shoot at me in the dark so I know the right time and place and position to use light’.

What are you selling classes. You are starting sound like one of those buy and sell real estate gurus.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Damn. Did you miss your afternoon nap?