What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    It means it's secured, but within reach.

Simunition.

Although it's not lethal, it does require PPE to protect the participants.

fx_cartridges.png

fx3_tmb.png

There are many shoot houses across the state, but the most publicly available shoot house is at FRC Range in Baton Rouge.

https://www.frcbr.com/shoot-house

I believe they are a site sponsor here.

Expensive is a relative term. Most people spend copious amount of money on junk food and bad habits that will add up to a greater sum that the cost of quality training.

Glorified laser tag? Sounds like you've never experience Force on Force training.

1970's combat experience is great for war stories, but relying on what was done in your early years when you are now eligible for Medicaid is not very wise.

You assume too much. That is a fault you should recognize and correct. You're undoing will be hubris.

I've done plenty of Force on Force training. With MILES equipment, and simunitions. It was very expensive. More than the cost of a few candy bars, but my uncle was picking up the tab at the time.

My combat experience is more recent than you ASSume.

Most FoF uses Simunition, which hits like a very hard paintball (it hurts). It also has similar recoil to real guns. Most popular carry guns or ARs have the ability to be modified to shoot Sim rounds.

Combat experience doesn't help much unless it was recent and relevent. This is something that a lot of people think that just isn't true.

Near you a good place to do it is FRC in Baton Rouge. I believe there are two places in NOLA as well, but I don't recall their names.

First of all.

My one visit to FRC was a very pleasant one. Their facility is very nice, and their employees seemed competent.

______

I do not discount the value of training. We trained, in the military, as often as our schedule would allow. For a very good reason. We trained like we fought, and we fought like we trained. Training, for us, paid off in the end. We suffered very few casualties from enemy fire. We inflicted maximum damage on our OPFOR.

Our opponent trained too. In fact, it's said that they trained more than us. They were the elite fighting force of their nation. The Republican Guard. Additionally, they were on home field advantage. In the end, their training didn't help them at all. They died valiantly for their country.

Two stories of training, with two very different outcomes.

I'd choose a successful, seasoned combat veteran any day over someone who's only played games in a sim house. I don't care how long ago that experience was. If a lot of people believe something, generally there's some truth behind it.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    It was just an observation. Do as you please.

Glad to hear. Their facility is an excellent resource, considering the lack of such facilities in the region.

Getting back to your 'within reach' answer to my question.

Is your defensive firearm loaded? Is there a round in the chamber? Is it locked in a safe?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You assume too much. That is a fault you should recognize and correct. You're undoing will be hubris.

I've done plenty of Force on Force training. With MILES equipment, and simunitions. It was very expensive. More than the cost of a few candy bars, but my uncle was picking up the tab at the time.

My combat experience is more recent than you ASSume.

First of all.

My one visit to FRC was a very pleasant one. Their facility is very nice, and their employees seemed competent.

______

I do not discount the value of training. We trained, in the military, as often as our schedule would allow. For a very good reason. We trained like we fought, and we fought like we trained. Training, for us, paid off in the end. We suffered very few casualties from enemy fire. We inflicted maximum damage on our OPFOR.

Our opponent trained too. In fact, it's said that they trained more than us. They were the elite fighting force of their nation. The Republican Guard. Additionally, they were on home field advantage. In the end, their training didn't help them at all. They died valiantly for their country.

Two stories of training, with two very different outcomes.

I'd choose a successful, seasoned combat veteran any day over someone who's only played games in a sim house. I don't care how long ago that experience was. If a lot of people believe something, generally there's some truth behind it.

You trained for something entirely different than what we are discussing, unless you were on a unit that specifically assaulted houses. Even if that is the case, that is TEAM based training in a house, which is different than being in a house by yourself.

Yes, military training is better than static shooting at a range, but many of the tactics and skills taught are different that the same taught for personal self defense whether in a house or in the outside world (gas stations, malls, movie theaters, and etc).

Additionally, the military employs many technologies and assets that would help you win the battles you are talking about, but wouldn't be necessary in a home setting....such as drones.

As for your last statement, I just don't get it. Sim's training in close quarters is what police, SWAT, and various special forces use to get better at fighting in close quarters. It's certainly not a game, by any means. The FBI and various agencies, in addition to police forces, use FRCs shoot-house for Sim training. Are they there for playing games or for getting better at valuable skills?

Broad combat experience doesn't replace very specific training for very specific situations. Also, having old experience is 100% a skill that can and will be lost.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For what it's worth, St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office and East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office both have training facilities. It seems as though FoF training has merit.

The main building of the old Women's Hospital was turned into the HQ for BRPD. The building in the back was turned into a training facility. The walls are covered with blue and red and green dots from force on force training. The pretty good training. Not as good as standing still shooting a paper target, but it'll do in a pinch.

I've done plenty of Force on Force training. With MILES equipment, and simunitions.

Simunition training does not use inert rounds or blanks. A projectile is fired from a weapon. When fired at you, you hear the weapon being fired. You can hear the projectile hit close to you. You can feel the projectile hit you. MILES doesn't compare to simunition for close quarters training. With MILES, you hear gun shots and your buzzer may or may not go off. The near miss buzz you get doesn't compare to hearing and seeing the simunition hit the wall near your head. And there's no shaved keys in simunition. Just the tell-tale paint spot that let's people know you need some more training. While nothing compares to the feeling of being shot at with real rounds, simunition, when done for more than an expensive game of paintball, certainly has it's merits. MILES gear is great for large scale engagements with vehicles or platoon size elements, but doesn't compare to simunition.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Having experience with both combat vets and people who've played games in a sim house, I would not agree with you.

Truth has nothing to do with the number of people who believe in something. For a while, the overwhelming belief was the earth was flat. That didn't mean the earth was flat.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Have you ever bothered to read the entirety of a thread prior to asking a question that's already been answered?

OMG Let's try this one more time. Just once more.

YOU assert that YOUR prefered weapon for home defense is YOUR suppressed SBR.

My question was where do you keep said SBR? What condition do you keep said SBR in? Is the suppressor already attached. Is it loaded with a round in the chamber? Can you reach it from your bed? Is it secured in a safe?

Your answer was some gibberish the first time.

The main building of the old Women's Hospital was turned into the HQ for BRPD. The building in the back was turned into a training facility. The walls are covered with blue and red and green dots from force on force training. The pretty good training. Not as good as standing still shooting a paper target, but it'll do in a pinch.

Simunition training does not use inert rounds or blanks. A projectile is fired from a weapon. When fired at you, you hear the weapon being fired. You can hear the projectile hit close to you. You can feel the projectile hit you. MILES doesn't compare to simunition for close quarters training. With MILES, you hear gun shots and your buzzer may or may not go off. The near miss buzz you get doesn't compare to hearing and seeing the simunition hit the wall near your head. And there's no shaved keys in simunition. Just the tell-tale paint spot that let's people know you need some more training. While nothing compares to the feeling of being shot at with real rounds, simunition, when done for more than an expensive game of paintball, certainly has it's merits. MILES gear is great for large scale engagements with vehicles or platoon size elements, but doesn't compare to simunition.

I've trained with simunitions. I know what they are. I agree that it is valuable training. I never discounted it's value as a training aid. Training is good.

That should just about cover that.

Having experience with both combat vets and people who've played games in a sim house, I would not agree with you.

Truth has nothing to do with the number of people who believe in something. For a while, the overwhelming belief was the earth was flat. That didn't mean the earth was flat.

Now here's an opinion from someone who's been around the block. I respect that.

Thank You.

BTW: The Earth isn't flat???????

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So where do you keep this superior firepower? And do you keep level 3 plates next to it?

Define superior firepower.

I do not own body armor. I have no use for it.

YOU assert that YOUR prefered weapon for home defense is YOUR suppressed SBR.

Suppressed rifle with optic and WML as well as a pistol with an optic and WML.

Just as I replied when AustinBR asked.

My question was where do you keep said SBR?

In a secured location within reach.

What condition do you keep said SBR in?

Loaded magazine inserted, empty chamber, on safe.

Is the suppressor already attached.

Yes.

Is it loaded with a round in the chamber?

Can you reach it from your bed?

No, but I also don't live in my bed 24 hours a day.

Is it secured in a safe?

Only when it is secured in a safe.

This is the question he refuses to answer, so I'll take his cue, and make some ASSumptions.

I ASSume that his suppressor is stored in the cardboard box it came in.

His rifle is probably pristine, in the back of his Liberty Safe.

His magazines are most likely on the top shelf of a hall closet, unloaded.

His ammo is in a locked cabinet in the garage.

Those assumptions are not very accurate.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

Suppressed rifle with optic and WML as well as a pistol with an optic and WML.

Just as I replied when AustinBR asked.

In a secured location within reach.

Yes.

No, but I also don't live in my bed 24 hours a day.

Only when it is secured in a safe.

Those assumptions are not very accurate.

So your home defense plan, when somebody is crashing through your bedroom window, is to unlock your safe, charge your firearm, and return fire.

Glad to hear you don't own any body armor. I was worried you might've been that fellow who had a plan to duct tape a plate to his back, absorb .30 rifle fire, while shielding his partner while she assembled their rifle to return fire.

You can read about this fellow here: https://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

There is a striking resemblance in your posting style.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Whoa what. I thought you said something about giving yourself the best chance. I don't remember just how you worded, but you basically wanted to give yourself every advantage. Why no armor are you Superman and bullets just bounce off of you? Or are you just too fast on the the trigger like Quickdraw McGraw? Seems to me if you wanted to give yourself the best chance you would armor up bro. I'm starting to worry for your safety. Maybe we could get a gofundme set up to get you a plate rig and kpot. Its kind of minimalist I know but you got to start some where.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So your home defense plan, when somebody is crashing through your bedroom window, is to unlock your safe, charge your firearm, and return fire.

Incorrect, you only asked about one firearm.

Whoa what. I thought you said something about giving yourself the best chance. I don't remember just how you worded, but you basically wanted to give yourself every advantage. Why no armor are you Superman and bullets just bounce off of you? Or are you just too fast on the the trigger like Quickdraw McGraw? Seems to me if you wanted to give yourself the best chance you would armor up bro. I'm starting to worry for your safety. Maybe we could get a gofundme set up to get you a plate rig and kpot. Its kind of minimalist I know but you got to start some where.

Your response leads me to believe you've never had to don a plate carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom